Thread: Low throttle % KR

Low throttle % KR

I finally got my car running and scanned. I have no power at low throttle, however, I finally just pushed the accelerator down and KR started dissapearing. This is a PCM tune from an aftermarket performance place.
    Suggestions on where to start to lower the low speed KR are appreciated. Note, for some weird reason, my Fuel trims are showing -100?? This wasn't the case before my engine rebuild. This indicates running rich? I thought we don't display more than 15.0 in either pos. or neg. side. I've reset fuel trim but nada. I thought I saw a thread about low speed KR but can't find it anylonger. Any links to this related problem are also appreciated.
    Thanks for looking.

Steve
    Last edited by louvered97gtp; 12-29-2007 at 06:51 PM.
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers
    97GTP: Stock engine, 95 GTP Hood louvers

Your PCM supports 24 bytes, your logging 29. Remove some unneeded pids, like trans data.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Your PCM supports 24 bytes, your logging 29. Remove some unneeded pids, like trans data.

Russ Kemp
    Yes, I was finally made aware of this the other day, and did remove items until all my logged items displayed. I had items that didn't log anything, not even a 0 value. Since the LTFT's displayed #'s, I assumed this wasn't a related issue. I looked but can't find where I can see I've gone over the 24 bytes. Are you talking about file size itself? the config file size?
    FYI, even using the default config file, LTFT's still show -100.
    Thanks again, I have already posted links to this usefull information on my other forums to help increase awareness of these issues.
    Respectfully,
    Steve V.

Edit: found it, thank you for giving me two numbers or reference. Now, would you mind giving me your opinion on the low speed KR? It seems KR goes down as soon as Boost is generated. Is this timing, fuel, or air related? Thank you.
    Last edited by louvered97gtp; 12-29-2007 at 11:43 PM.
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers

Advanced Tuner
    Hmm. Got the the hpt file for that log?
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    likely false knock, easy way to tell would be to fill up on some 100 octane unleaded to see if the KR is still there in which case you might try replacing the knock sensors to see if they are the issue.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Well, I added 100 octane, still had high KR at low throttle. Decided to copy over high and low timing tables from my "stage 3" 99 GTP, along with its MAF tables. Wow, made a difference. KR is lower, still there but not as much.
    I'm back on 91 Octane (highest here in California). Drove around trying to get rid of the remaining KR by using the histogram#2, copying, and pasting special>subtract from the High Timing table. drove around and relogged 15 minutes after each change. Did this many times and my KR actually got worse! uhm.... Help? LOL
    Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? Attached are the better base scan with 99GTP stuff loaded, and later scan where I lowered timing and tried reducing KR unsuccessfuly. My tranny is suddenly acting up as well, i'm very suspicious this is also contributing to my KR, but I'll post the tranny issue later in appropriate area.
    Thank you,
    EDIT: just found recent post linking me to investigate the low octane table since I've had continual KR, it references this table rather than High octane. I'll check this first.
    Quote Originally Posted by bilemke
    Hmm. Got the the hpt file for that log?
    Hey Bilemke, sorry didn't see your reply til just now. I've revised the hpt file as just posted. If you'd still like to see it let me know I'd be glad provide. sorry I hadn't seen your reply earlier. Didn't mean to ignore your assistance.

Steve.
    Last edited by louvered97gtp; 01-06-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Looks to me like you need to hook up a wideband to dial in the a/f ratio. Your NB says rich everytime you get on the throttle, but it's knocking and pulling timing. Could be an issue with the o2 sensor. Only way to be sure is with a wideband.

Quote Originally Posted by pdsq98gt
    Looks to me like you need to hook up a wideband to dial in the a/f ratio. Your NB says rich everytime you get on the throttle, but it's knocking and pulling timing. Could be an issue with the o2 sensor. Only way to be sure is with a wideband.
    Suggestion taken. Iv'e started shopping for a wideband. thanks all for taking the time to reply.

solution found

Solution found!
    Out of curiosity, I copied the higher Timing tables from my stage 3 GTP into my lightly modded low RPM KR daily driver. This helped exponentially. Still have blips here and there but drives like normal now. I guess the car's setup just demanded the higher timing. I keep reading to remove timing when KR is found. However, in this case, it was the opposite. It needed additional timing to eliminate the KR. Go figure.