Thread: Replacing PCM

Replacing PCM

ok i have a ? i think i need to replace my PCM. so my ? is i set my car up for a single vehical credit. can i get a new PCM from a different like a different GTP and reflash it for my car? will i need to use 2 more credits to change the PCM VIN to work with mine or what.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    This should answer most of your questions http://www.hptuners.com/help/vcm_edi...activation.htm

Specifically:
    When writing to a vehicle, the rules are:
    • You must have a license for the file you are trying to write to the vehicle.
    • If you are writing a file that has a VCM Enhancement applied, you must also have a license for the VCM Enhancement you are writing to the vehicle.
    • You must also have a license for the vehicle you are trying to write to.
    &

Take caution when:
    • If you download a file from the internet and try to write it into your vehicle,
      when you try to write the vehicle you will be prompted to license the file first.
      After you license the file, if you have not licensed your own vehicle yet, you will yet again be prompted to license your vehicle using additional credits.
    • If you purchase a spare VCM for your vehicle and wish to write your file into it,
      you will still need to license the spare VCM when you try to write it.
      If the spare VCM is of the same year/model type as a year/model or vehicle group license which you already have, you will not be prompted to license the VCM as you will already have licensed support for that VCM.
    The above examples are extreme tests of our licensing rules.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Bill, what if your spare pcm already has a copy of your bin loaded on it? Then it shouldn't require another license, right?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Our software is not BIN specific when your trying to do single vcm licenses, it is vcm ID # specific.

all you did was confuse me. i have only had this program for like 2 days. i just what to know is if say i have a spare PCM laying around and I need to put it in my car Will i need to use 2 more credits to flash it with my current VCM file that i've had tuned that is mine for my 98 grand prix.

..."As I lay rubber down the street,
    I pray for traction I can keep,
    but if I spin and begin to slide,
    I pray dear Lord to protect my ride"! Amen.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    Our software is not BIN specific when your trying to do single vcm licenses, it is vcm ID # specific.
    Ok, so what is the VCM ID#? The OS ID? The VIN number? A combination of both? The spare pcm I have has the same bin, same os id and same vin number.... Does that mean I will not need another license?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

See it write's just fine. i have also reset the VATS. it still won't start.
    Last edited by awillis98; 09-14-2009 at 11:24 AM.

..."As I lay rubber down the street,
    I pray for traction I can keep,
    but if I spin and begin to slide,
    I pray dear Lord to protect my ride"! Amen.

Advanced Tuner
    The way I understand it:

- Use 2 credits and be able to flash your one specific PCM

OR

- Use 4 credits and flash all the spare 98 GTP PCMs you want
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perforator
    Ok, so what is the VCM ID#? The OS ID? The VIN number? A combination of both? The spare pcm I have has the same bin, same os id and same vin number.... Does that mean I will not need another license?
    Its the VCM ID number, its not the OS id its not a vin number, its unique to the pcm which makes it favorable to lock onto when your doing single vcm locking.

-Bill

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryH
    The way I understand it:

- Use 2 credits and be able to flash your one specific PCM

OR

- Use 4 credits and flash all the spare 98 GTP PCMs you want
    Correct.

Advanced Tuner
    Correct.
    Which is why I have decided to go the 4 credit path myself. I enjoy the security of being able to have the option of flashing a spare PCM. It is cheap insurance.

Also, I enjoy entertaining looking at different ways of doing things. One of those that came up a long time ago was to find a way where one could have 2 PCMs in the same car with completely different tunes (MPG and performance for example), and having the ability to change from one to another with the flip of a switch. Having the ability to do these kinds of projects requires the ability to flash 2 PCMs.

Not saying that I will do this, but having the option or ability to, is nice.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

Awillis,
    From what I gather, and anybody please correct me if I'm wrong. Seems all PCM's have individual ID#'s. Given this, unless you use the 4 credit liscence to allow flasing of any same model and year PCM, you should be able to write to another 98GTP pcm. However, if the spare VCM is not for a same vehicle as yours, the ID will show this and thus the editor will require another 2 credits and treat this as another vehicle flash. And I guess this means if we receive another PCM of same model and year as our current, if we selected single vehicle liscence, we'd still need to use another 2 credits.
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers
    97GTP: Stock engine, 95 GTP Hood louvers

Yes. You really license the PCM not the VIN. To put your tune in another PCM you need to license that PCM as well or have the model year license for that group.

Brian