Thread: Car restart & electrical problems with suite 2.2 PCM writes

Car restart & electrical problems with suite 2.2 PCM writes

This has become more than coincidence. My car has been fine without any electrical issues until I did my first partial write. Now I turn the key and everything turns on for about 2 seconds, then there's a loss of power. Even after this loss of all power, my trunk mounted CD changer starts going haywire in the trunk. I unplug the interface. wait five seconds. turn key and finally car starts. I try to start car 2 hours later and same thing, only interface is no longer in car, it just won't start and kills power.

I received a bin file for another car, an 01 Impala, did a full write. Same issues, this car has more electronics (dvd systems & stereo upgrades), the equipment also goes haywire, radio starts by itself, flashing on and off innstrument clusuter, car won't start.

Now another friend with HP tuners 2.2 is having car starting problems. I have followed instructions for flashing, and I see more of this problem popping up. What gives??
    Thank you.

Steve
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers
    97GTP: Stock engine, 95 GTP Hood louvers

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Is this on your 97 or 99 GTP? I can't say I've ever heard of the issues your seeing nor has our write process changed in several years for the v6 line.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

this is on the 97GTP and 01 Impala at moment with my software, and a friend's 98. I'm absolutely NOT going to write my 99 at all until this issue is figured out. Your investigation into this issue is greatly appreciated.
    p.s.
    The steps followed for write were found here
    http://www.hptuners.com/help/

Also no solution to same and similar problems as listed on following posts
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ighlight=start

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15862

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13965

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12715 (possible solution, reinstalling software?)

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5141

Thank you for your time and effort into this matter.
    Last edited by louvered97gtp; 12-30-2007 at 01:46 AM.
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers

Advanced Tuner
    Interesting that you mention this.. The other night I flashed my 97 gtp with a partial write before going in to work (in the parking lot). As usual, I started the car up once right after the write. It worked fine. Went in to work, came out 8 hours later.

I unlocked my doors with the remote. Got in, lights were on until I put the key in. Then, the dash dimly lit for a second or so and went dark. I though "What the hell, dead battery?". Tried that a couple times (turn the key over, dim lights on the dash, no start".

Not sure if the interface was plugged in at the time, but I suspected my negative line to the battery might be loose (prior issue). Popped the hood, checked the terminal.. All was fine. Went back to the driver's side door. Got in and turned the key, started right up. Thought nothing of it at the time.

I am not sure if I unplugged the interface between checking the battery (or if it was ever plugged in at all).. Though I would add this comment just as a *possible* example of the same issue. Only happened once. I am curious if this happened on the 97 or the 99 GTP as well.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Also no solution to same problems as listed on following posts
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...ighlight=start
    different problem & probably not pcm related

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15862

Sounds like a possible laptop issue if it locked up on a read rather than a pcm issue.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13965

mechanical issue relating to his crank sensor

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12715 (possible solution, reinstalling software?)
    Completely different issue & pcm ie your 97 gtp vs. his 4 cyl E67 pcm'd cobalt.

Reading other peoples issues into your situation will make you loose your mind so I'd recommend against it.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 12-30-2007 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    Reading other peoples issues into your situation will make you loose your mind so I'd recommend against it.
    I'm just searching the forums for solution to my problem. trying to do my part and find solution as well. Was hoping maybe one of those issues had the solution we were lookong for that never got posted. However, your guidance and suggestions on the matter are eagerly awaited.
    Thank you Bill. Hey.. you want to trade PCM's? LOL J/k And get some sleep will you!!
    Last edited by louvered97gtp; 12-30-2007 at 02:16 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Dunno man, honestly I've flashed several 97 GTP's & V6 fbodies without issue as well as my own 00' for the past 3 1/2 years without issue.

What are the specs on your laptop? Can you post a vcm suite infolog while connected to the vehicle in question minus your serial # & app key?

Also post the file you originally read off of the pcm as well as the file you wrote to the pcm that gave you issues.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a newer car, a 2005, but on mine I have to pull the fuse for the stereo. I have a aftermarket stereo and it causes problems on the OBDII bus. You said you flashed yours sucessfully but I thought I would throw it out there just in case...
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Perforator, My97GTP has stock stereo, but I'll try that on the Impala after.

Bill, I understand you don't have this problem nor do many others, however there is no recourse for those few of us that do. Unfortunately, the second I turn key to on position (not starting position) the accessories light up for about 1.5 seconds and then all power shuts off so can't connect. The power completely dies. Even my key gets locked in. I have to manually hit the release button, afterwhich I open and close the door, power comes back, and cycle through same process, key in>turn to on position>power dies after 1.5 seconds.
    I'd be glad to post info log if you tell me where to find this. Search didn't bring anything up under infolog, just liscence info.
    Regards,
    Steve

Moving this to help, its likely a module on the vehicle bus that doesn't want to shut up, or isn't recovering as it should after its told to be quiet.

Also, do not write entire with other peoples files. That is not recommended.

Stick to write calibraiton only and if things go wrong, you should still be able to recover the PCM. Its pretty fail safe.

One way to help diagnose which module is causing the problems is pull fuses and see if anything changes.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

yeah this is just driving me crasy i never had a read or write problem and now the car won't start now i have to by a new PCM to rule that out. I had my friend send me the original file from after my dyno tune to rule out a currupted VCM file. it still didn't start. i know it worked before because i have been driving on it for like 2 months since the tune. i have no blown fuses, and i'm not having the weird power problem but i can't start the car.

..."As I lay rubber down the street,
    I pray for traction I can keep,
    but if I spin and begin to slide,
    I pray dear Lord to protect my ride"! Amen.

are you guys seeing any DTC's?

It sounds like some kind of communications issue, possibly relating to aftermarket units installed. You need to establish if it's not a laptop issue (ie. a slow laptop or something weird like that), then i recommend disconnecting all the aftermarket gear (pulling the fuse), then doing a write entire with your stock file with the "High Speed" option unchecked.

The other possibility is you have actually damaged something electronically (shorting something or whatever), possibly again during install of things, although this is pure speculation on my part.

A write entire is exactly what a dealer would do to your PCM to return it to stock with tech2, so following my recomendation above would mimic what a dealer would try. (disconnecting aftermarket electronics etc.)

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

ok my car has no aftermarket stuff other that an CAM and the stuff listed. i have checked every fuse in the car. i have no DTC's but i did notice that when i go to start my car it has the SES light on and the battery and low coolant and ABS. usally when you start they go off when you turn the key over. i don't know if hptuner can read the code for a bad PCM i know some expensive readers can.
    Last edited by awillis98; 09-14-2009 at 11:24 AM.

usually you would have a P6xxx code for a ROM checksum error or similar. Tried disconnecting the battery then reconnecting?

Your PCM is not dead if you can scan it. Try logging the injpw and see if the PCM is actually injecting fuel.

You can also log status bits in regards to PCM NVRAM reset and also VATS status.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    can you two guys post your .hpt files please also, thanks.

OK so today i reset the VATS and did it just like it says to in the help file and nothing.

Found solution on my 97GTP. Apparently my ground wire to battery isn't a steady ground, and decided to take a crap just as I was writing calibration it appears, hence the flashing interior display during re-write. I still had problems when this ground wire was fixed, but I reloaded file and it's been fine since thus far. :knocking on fake wood desk:
    Edit: I also tried disconnecting the battery and reconnecting overnight, this didn't solve or discover the problem until i had the electrical system checked. FYI.

Have a happy and safe new year all.
    Last edited by louvered97gtp; 12-31-2007 at 10:20 PM.