Thread: Problems with car after new stock PCM?

Tuner

Problems with car after new stock PCM?

I just installed my replacement PCM into my 2000 Buick Regal GSE. It was stock replacement PCM that had the correct OS ID# and VIN # for my car. This way I could tune my car with the HP tuner. Well I was able to fix the Security problem with the new PCM and do a "copy all differences" data over to the replacement PCM. However when I started driving the the car I notice the shifts were way too quick and hard. The car also didn't seem to be shifting at the correct times. When I checked out the DTC's this is what I got

[PCM] P0403 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Solenoid Control Circuit (Pending) (Old) (Current) (Immature)
    [PCM] P0405 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Position Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Pending) (Old) (Current) (Immature)
    [PCM] P0650 - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit (Pending) (Old) (Current) (Immature)
    [PCM] P0730 - Incorrect Gear Ratio (Pending) (Old) (History) (Current) (Immature)
    [Unknown] B3106 - (History) (Immature)
    [Unknown] B3267 - (History) (Immature)

Now I used the HP tuner comparison log of my old PCM file (with all the changes like fuel, shifts, etc) vs the current PCM file (a stock Regal GS). I copied ALL the differences over from my modded bin file over to the stock regal GS file. I then did a "Write Calibration Only" to the PCM. The car seems to run ok besides the transmission. Should I have done a "Write Entire" instead of "Write Calibration Only"? I am going to go back out there and scan the car and compare it to my original modded PCM file..

I hope someone can help. I thought copying everything from the original bin file to the current pcm would work?
    2000 Buick Regal GSE Ported Gen III SC with 3.0” Pulley, Northstar TB, ZZP Ported LIM, ZZP Stage III IC, Comp VS Cam, Comp 105 Springs, Viton Valve Seals, 42.5 Injectors, PRJ Gen II Fuel Rails and Racetronix Fuel Pump with HD Harness, TOG Headers with 3” Catted Downpipe, ZZP 3” Dual Stainless Cat-back, Dynotech Stage II Trans, 3.29 Final Drive, 2750 stall converter, GTP Engine Cradle Mounts, Front Motor Mounts Spun 90*, JMB 4” FWI, Autolite 104’s, 180* stat, GMPP Handing Kit, Moog Endlinks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    The problem is the same os id can still contain hundreds if not thousands of differences from your's, using the comparison copy over all can only copy over the differences for what you can see which is usually ~160 tables/parameters in the case of the 3800 V6. Its always best to start with a factory stock pcm meant for your vehicle not simply a matched vcm os id & your vin, sometimes you'll just see bad results.

For instance a V8 camaro auto with 2.73 gears may have the same vcm os id as a v8 firebird m6 with 3.42 gears so the os id doesn't always mean the same values in each table.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Well I gave up and put the original modded PCM back into the car and the shifting went back to normal? The other thing I noticed with the replacement modded PCM was the transmission seemed to be whining some under any load. I would have to guess the replacement PCM was commanding max pressure causing the harder then average shifts? After installing the original modded PCM back into the car its back to the way it was.

The problem is if I take the PCM to a dealer and have them flash it back to stock what about all the settings I have done? The car will not run unless its using the modded settings it has now. Also the stock shift tables and gearing is totally different. Would I still be able to copy the data from the modded bin over to the stock bin after being flash? I don't want to run into the same problem.
    2000 Buick Regal GSE Ported Gen III SC with 3.0” Pulley, Northstar TB, ZZP Ported LIM, ZZP Stage III IC, Comp VS Cam, Comp 105 Springs, Viton Valve Seals, 42.5 Injectors, PRJ Gen II Fuel Rails and Racetronix Fuel Pump with HD Harness, TOG Headers with 3” Catted Downpipe, ZZP 3” Dual Stainless Cat-back, Dynotech Stage II Trans, 3.29 Final Drive, 2750 stall converter, GTP Engine Cradle Mounts, Front Motor Mounts Spun 90*, JMB 4” FWI, Autolite 104’s, 180* stat, GMPP Handing Kit, Moog Endlinks.