Thread: 2.2 ecotec into off road car

Potential Tuner

2.2 ecotec into off road car

First, thanks ahead for any help on this...

I have a 04' 2.2 out of an Ion. Its complete other than the wiring, computer, and alternator. I'm looking to put this into my off-road buggy. I have been comparing a complete stand-alone, along with HPtuners... I like the piggyback system so far as the motor will be mostly stock at first, but I will be able to tune as I get some go-fast parts on the motor.
    but before I buy a stock computer, wiring and hptuner, I have some questions.

1. I have searched the forum, but cannot find any solid answer as to whether or not it is possible to get past the anti-theft with HPTUNERS...

2. I don't intend on using the stock gage cluster, or any other wiring other than what is required to run the motor. Would ditching the cluster and excess chassis wiring cause any trouble that couldn't be fixed?

3. I have an lc-1 wideband, do you guys recommend any other software to aid in tuning?

4. Is there a particular year, or model ecotec computer that would be best for my project?

Thanks again for your time
    Danny
    Last edited by motorbreath53; 01-06-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbreath53
    First, thanks ahead for any help on this...

I have a 04' 2.2 out of an Ion. Its complete other than the wiring, computer, and alternator. I'm looking to put this into my off-road buggy. I have been comparing a complete stand-alone, along with HPtuners... I like the piggyback system so far as the motor will be mostly stock at first, but I will be able to tune as I get some go-fast parts on the motor.
    but before I buy a stock computer, wiring and hptuner, I have some questions.

1. I have searched the forum, but cannot find any solid answer as to whether or not it is possible to get past the anti-theft with HPTUNERS...

2. I don't intend on using the stock gage cluster, or any other wiring other than what is required to run the motor. Would ditching the cluster and excess chassis wiring cause any trouble that couldn't be fixed?

3. I have an lc-1 wideband, do you guys recommend any other software to aid in tuning?

4. Is there a particular year, or model ecotec computer that would be best for my project?

Thanks again for your time
    Danny
    the Ion 2.2 (e16a ecm) is NOT tunable (from HPT or any other manufacturer)

unless you're pairing the motor w/ the ECM from a cavalier or other j-body, you will not be able to tune it directly.
    The '07 Aura XR
    [In] XM ExpressEZ
    [Next] intake res delete, Tint, Eibachs

The Procharged Ion - SMP Stage 2 QC
    20/5 tint, SPS stb, CF dash, reflective bumper insert, 62mm TB, RL plugs, masked corners, progress rsb, RL fsb, 2.5" cat-back, triple pod w/ Boost, FPG, LC-1 & XD-16, filled front & rear mounts, pclear shorty shift, Procharged, Eibach Pros, 8k HIDs - 188.28whp / 175.03wtq, NO TUNE

Potential Tuner
    bummer.... Since I don't have the wiring or computer, I could go with a J body set up but... would the j-body computer and wiring work on my motor or would a different manifold,injector,sensor, setup etc be required?

And if so, would the anti-theft still be a problem, or could hptuners take care of it?

i know you can take a ion 2.2 and put it in a j-body but you have to switch some sensors and (for a jbody) switch a cam because the ion has no p/s pump (electric) and the j-body rus it off of the cam