Thread: Sticker time

Sticker time

I nuked my 2002 5.3 vcm. (Note the YYYYY in the vcm suite) I'm using the 2000 6.0 vcm. I need to change my vin. I looked at the help file and it says os system must qualify. The only visible difference is the 5.3 has a general pressure field in the trany setting. I have a license for both. Here are my vcm suites. Is this do able. I have to ask, I don't want to nuke another vcm. I'm working on the chevy listed below.
    2002 Chevy ECSB, 6.0 - 4L80, Comp Cam 226/270 .520/.524 Lift 115 Lobe - Magnaflow exhaust -Free flow cats K/N Kit - Electric fans - 3.73

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    My recommendation would be to take the 6.0 pcm to a dealer & have it flashed for your vin number with the latest cal available for it.

Then use our software to read that file out & go from there.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

The problem with that would be it ends up as a complete write to that vins os. He can't just change the vin. If I do that I'll loose my trany segment and end up with first gear only. The trany segment I have now is part of the 6.0 that ec tune helped me with. Will I be able to flash the trany os back in from the 6.0 file.
    2002 Chevy ECSB, 6.0 - 4L80, Comp Cam 226/270 .520/.524 Lift 115 Lobe - Magnaflow exhaust -Free flow cats K/N Kit - Electric fans - 3.73

I looked into the price of the tech2 computer. I fell off my chair, but don't worry I didn't spill the beer.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by always last
    The problem with that would be it ends up as a complete write to that vins os. He can't just change the vin. If I do that I'll loose my trany segment and end up with first gear only. The trany segment I have now is part of the 6.0 that ec tune helped me with. Will I be able to flash the trany os back in from the 6.0 file.
    Theres no way you can keep your vin with the OS thats currently in your vehicle as it would be an invalid vin/os pair.

Ok lets recap
    2002 5.3 4L60 licensed but can't read with the tuner.
    2000 6.0 4L80 with trany segment. Works great but Can't change the vin.
    Now I have two I can't use. This is getting expensive.

Do you know if I take a vcm (Not my original 2002) to a dealer that doesn’t have the notorious y’s in my serial# and chip code, if it will put my serial# back. I can only assume that’s what the tuner is looking for when it looks for my license info. I’ve got a stack of vcm’s. How do I get past this, I don’t want to keep licensing vcm’s I can’t use, and I can’t use the original. Unfortunately the 6.0 has a great tune wrong vin. Any suggestions.
    Last edited by always last; 01-08-2008 at 02:12 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Serial number is unique to the pcm, it can be altered in hex but thats about it.

Basically your going to need to use a valid vin/os pair to keep your vin, theres NO way around it.

Thanks Bill, I'll get this sorted out. I'm going to call the Registry Of Motor Vehicles and tell them I changed my motor,trany and vcm out with one from the junk yard.

If I could find someone to put my serial# back in I'd be in good shape. I have the number on file I just don't have the means to do it.

Potential Tuner
    I have the magnaflow too and love it, they are cheaper on ebay but I wanted a warranty(the salt on the roads here in winter kills an exhaust) so I got it here. magnaflow 16901, or you can try one of the vendors here, they are allways runnign sales/specials. either way its a great system and very easy to install.

Why not just do a "Write Entire" from your old file to the new PCM???
    You will have to license it but that should be about all.
    Always Support Our Troops!