Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lean spike before entering PE

Lean spike before entering PE - 2.4 S/C e67

I'm pretty sure this is what it's doing. The delay used to be really long, but have since got it down to a split second...but it's still there. Enrichment rate is 1.0

Log:

http://www.negmsc.com/uploads/leanat620.hpl
    http://www.negmsc.com/uploads/2.4_9psitune.hpt
    Last edited by pjk91; 01-15-2008 at 07:19 PM.

I guess I should have notated what I drive

2007 Cobalt SS 2.4 supercharged M62 3.34" pulley

Background:

I originally was tuned for using the MAF only, and we realized this wasn't the greatest solution but it worked for the time being.

Current Situation:

Plugged in the map on top of the supercharger. Tuned a bit, and drove the car around. First the car wouldn't go into PE. Figured that out fairly quick. Then we had the loong delay of getting into PE between 3-4k. We have since made is much shorter, but there are a few times where it will hang for .5 seconds around 17.5 afr, and it's just before entering PE under a load...we get that spike.

In the log you want to look around 6:20-6:30 there's a KR of 4.0 at one point.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    the .hpt file would be nice also.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

*added the .hpt file

reduce your "PE Enable TPS" table to 20% or less, across the board.
    Set your MAP trigger to 100kpa
    my_bd 2004 Saturn Ion Redline - 2.0L Supercharged LSJ (P12) 13.1 @ 110

I would actually recommend more like 125 kPa, as 100 will get you into PE in 5th gear driving up a slight hill.

Still, I do not think that will solve his problem. I have never not seen a slight lean spike. Our cars spike a touch lean when we hit the throttle hard, pe or otherwise. (cobalt ss/sc)
    '07 Cobalt SS/SC
    Mods:
    I has a couple.

Questions about 60s? <-- click!
    How to tune for return fuel system <--click

Set the MAP pe enable to 100kpa, even though the MAP hyst is 0kpa? The log shows that the highest MAP reading I get is 99kpa.

Quote Originally Posted by SJSchafer
    I would actually recommend more like 125 kPa, as 100 will get you into PE in 5th gear driving up a slight hill.

Still, I do not think that will solve his problem. I have never not seen a slight lean spike. Our cars spike a touch lean when we hit the throttle hard, pe or otherwise. (cobalt ss/sc)
    Yeah this is not a slight lean spike, it's a 17.4 basically pegged lean spike. I haven't pinpointed the exact rpm,it fluctuates depending on load though it seems to be all over the rpm range...

oops, forgot its the 2.4, yeah pretty interesting ve table options in there!

try 55kpa for the pe enable trigger for starters, rather than the 100.

I forgot that your running an SC with 1 bar map. Still, I do not believe that setting the PE enable to a lower number will fix the problem.
    '07 Cobalt SS/SC
    Mods:
    I has a couple.

Questions about 60s? <-- click!
    How to tune for return fuel system <--click

I'm not using the 2.4 map though, I'm using the tmap (the one ontop of the s/c) I'm pretty sure that's not a 1bar. We had to do some rescaling in the MAP tables...

I'm not completely familiar with all the tuining aspects. I had SMG Auto tune, but I live almost 100mi away, so we did what we could so that I can run the car fairly safe. I'm tweaking what I can without completely screwing up the tune. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the map used on the LSJ is a 2bar.

the LSJ has a 2.5 bar sensor but the ecm only reveals or allows access up to 215kpa....

also, as I was mentioning up above, on the LSJ ecm the PE enable is annoyingly delayed if the "TPS enable" table is set much above 20%, we usually just clear out the TPS table but any values 20% or less usually do the trick and bring in PE noticeably faster.

You'll have to experiment a bit to see if the LE5 ecm responds similarly, and also to find a pe map setting that suits your driving style.

I tried the 20% TPS setting, and MAP 55kpa. Stalled out, pig rich under wot. Not sure if the lean spike was there it happened so fast. I think it went a touch lean. Cruising along at 14.7 then goes to 15.0 then 10.0 pegged rich.

Log: http://www.negmsc.com/uploads/stalledtwice.hpl

maybe you could clean up your pid table a bit, remove the 4 bank2 pids since you don't need them and they've been known to cause some skewing of the other data gathered.
    Also, add afr commanded to your pid list,
    and the PE enable status bit is helpful too

It sounds like you have a wideband sensor connected, can you log it in HPT?

I'm not surprised you stalled out, I noticed you've got some pretty crazy looking multipliers assigned in your PE EQ ratio table there, I'm not sure why your tuner jacked them so high like that, unless they're trying to fudge your PE fueling for some reason....???
    Last edited by my_bd; 01-16-2008 at 02:03 PM.

we increased the multipliers down low in the beginning of the day because we thought that it was actually going into PE, but needed more fuel. never put them back to what they were though. could be why it's so rich.

I have a wideband, aem uego and HPT pro. I'm going to go search for the white wire now. I think that will help the logs.

yeah log the pe status bit so you know exactly when it enables.
    with those multipliers in your eq table it's going to try to dump a ton of fuel in there!

ok, let me see if i can figure out how to log the status bits.

I went to status bit displays and in the table that comes up, I right clicked and went to insert. Scrolled down to the PE and double clicked it...now it's added into my table. I'll go scan the car now and see what it does.

New logs:

The first log is with my old tune, with the PE tps settings being what are in the .hpt file posted above.

http://www.negmsc.com/uploads/PEtpsb...hangedto20.hpl

The second log shows the PE tps at 20%, and how the car reacted.

http://www.negmsc.com/uploads/PEtps20.hpl

Config file (reference)

http://www.negmsc.com/uploads/LE5.cfg
    Last edited by pjk91; 01-16-2008 at 03:59 PM.

I didn't write it to the box because I had the laptop with me in the car, and took the logs with the laptop.

*fixed the links

you should re-write your config to the hpt box after making changes to it.

did you notice how rich your commanded afr is when pe kicks in?

See if you have a 'total kr' pid to add to your config too.
    Last edited by my_bd; 01-16-2008 at 04:48 PM.