Thread: Cluster swap, easy? hard?

Cluster swap, easy? hard?

I would like to swap the gauge cluster in my truck to one from a 2003+ that has the instant mileage calculator in the DIC. My question is, can I get one from a local scrap yard/auto salvage and pop it right in. It looks like it may be the same general design, but would the plugs all match up? Also, would the mileage be whatever the truck had that the old cluster came out of, or does it read it off the BCM? Thanks guys!

I tried using that PID that soundengineer posted some time back, but the scanner tells me unsupported parameter. Plus I dont always have my laptop and tuner with me, as I occasionally have to drive through the not-so-good parts of town. So having it on the DIC would be incredibly convenient to me.

Thanks ya'll.

Go to jpcustoms.com they will have what you need for the cluster but not sure about the DIC

Tuner in Training
    Pretty sure DIC will not work. Only options are the Denali and Escalade clusters for the 00-02 which give you the transmission temp and a 120 speedo. 03 and up have different PCM and the dashes have slightly different shapes, but the HD might be different. If you have the 120 already it should be the newer style. Mileage and engine hours must be programmed (new starts at zero and used is what it stopped at before being pulled), dealer $$$ or find a seller that will do it ahead of time. BCM will still have the real stats. E-bay is the place to look. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys. Unfortunately everyone ive talked to has said the same. The DIC will not work. Also someone told me that they are different shapes. a 120 speedo is not important to me, as If I plan on dropping the hammer and care to know how fast im going, I likely have my HPT plugged up.

Not sure why I cant get that PID to work from Soundengineer.