Thread: The Dont's of tunning

The Dont's of tunning

Do you guys have any advice or experience you can share for new tuners regarding the definite no no's of tunning, and reprecussions you've seen and why? For example...

Generall
    Knock sensors, never desensitize and try tune out to within 1*KR

V6 3800
    A/F ratio, running xx ratio and above, or below is bad. Etc.
    Or never start with higher Timing and work backwards?

I know there may be contradicting opinions but it's all worth the learning experience I think.

Thanks,
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers
    97GTP: Stock engine, 95 GTP Hood louvers

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Don't try to adjust your wot afr without access to a wideband to verify results.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by louvered97gtp

Generall
    Knock sensors, never desensitize and try tune out to within 1*KR
    I have to desensitize the knock sensor on every V6 car, as they are way to aggressive.

Russ Kemp

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I've seen on more than 1 v6 car where the KR would just max for no obvious reason as well which is why I didn't mention not desensitizing things.

Tuning is as much learning & r&d as anything else really, not every car will react the same as the next and you need to have a plan when it doesn't.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Yes i understand cars will react differently and preferences for tunning are many. All valid and respectable opinions and experiences. I see many people ask the questions, inclulding myself about "where do i start". So I figure maybe i should ask the other question and find out from the more experienced folks what definately shouldn't be done. We all learn from error, so I figure, why not ask the question and see if people will share.
    Thanks for your replies guys. Much appreciated.

If anyone care to share other suggestoins, not necessarily just related to the examples I've given above, please do.
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers
    97GTP: Stock engine, 95 GTP Hood louvers

List of don'ts....

Never wrap your OBD2 cord around the fan, and then start the engine to check the fuel trims. Gotta look into getting that toughbook...
    Don't lay cords from your shop PC across the floor, near the rollers of your chassis dyno. It never fails that someone has to watch and shuffle their feet at the same time you're doing a pull to 200 mph.
    Don't leave the headlamps on for the 6th time on a marginal battery when doing a full system rewrite...
    Don't borrow your laptop to your daughter who was just searching the internet for the latest free mp3 downloads...

Otherwise, it's a pretty stable system and you won't have problems that haven't been seen before. The staff here are quick to answer any issues.

^^^ ROTFLMAO! That was awesome! And I concur.
    Always Support Our Troops!