Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Keep tcc locked in 4th

Question Keep tcc locked in 4th

I have my trans settings nailed down a little tighter now, and I keep modding it and getting it closer and closer, but one thing still annoys the snot out of me: When i let off the gas on the interstate, like I'm coming up one someone and need to coast, when i get back on it, even 1% tps, the converter is unlocked. My question is, what cells or tables do I mod to keep it locked in 4th with no (0%) tps.

Here's my tune if you need to look. Im concerned with Normal mode stuff right now.

If you hit the brake, the TCC unlocks regardless. However I don't think that's what you are experiencing. There may be a couple more parameters that unlock the TCC when the throttle is closed (APP Sensors, not the ETC).
    Always Support Our Troops!

Yeah I know it will unlock with brakes. Thats not it, I experience my stated question when cruising and then coasting. I tried messing with the release table and the actual apply/release table and nothing has worked for me. This has to be right under my nose.

Set the TCC lock up speeds in the 0% TPS column the same as the 6.25% TPS column.
    The way you have it set up, every time you lift the throttle, the TCC will unlock.

You need to set up the shift pressure tables better, or the trans won't live long.
    I see that the upshift torque reduction is zeroed out.

Russ Kemp
    Last edited by Russ K; 01-31-2008 at 09:03 AM.

Thanks russ.

As for the upshift reduction, the 4l80 is built, and in the stock cal there was little reduction set in there anyhow(none up until about 350lbft), so i just took it out. As for the pressures, ive had some trouble with those. I know they're a little soft, but the way they were after i set the tcc duty cycle tables, it would jerk and be rough going into 2nd. (they were the same as the perf mode pressures, if you want to reference them) So I backed off of them about 3 or 4 numbers if i remember correctly. Could you possibly correct that for me? It would only do it sometimes, maybe around 40% tps starting out on the upshift.

If Im not running the pressure, should I put the shift reduction in to keep the clutches happy? I know the gains are practically nonexistent by having it 0'd
    Last edited by gman4dx266; 01-31-2008 at 01:05 PM.

gman4dx266,

I set up your trans tune for you. Let me know if you want firmer or softer shifts.

Russ Kemp

ok thanks. will try it in the morning and post back.

Russ, I tried that trans tune you posted up and it is horrible! It doesnt shift on time, and the 1>2 is very rough like I had said it used to be. Also the 4th lockup is still not staying locked with 0% TPS. The other gears feel pretty good with the pressure and all, just that 1>2 that will yield minor neck snappage. :-)

here is a quick scan from this morning using the posted tune. You'll see at the beginning I'm crusing @ approx 85, then i back out of the gas and go back in and the tcc is unlocked. There is also a 0-60 from a stop where I kinda roll into it then go 100% (not 0-100% tps, but 0-75% and then wot)

I softened the 1-2 shift for the normal & performance modes. Not sure what you mean by not shifting on time.
    There must be some other TCC lock up speed tables that are not in the editor to get the TCC to stay locked at 0% TPS.

Is there a shift kit installed?

Russ Kemp

Question

You know russ, I dont remember if theres a kit installed. I know there are heavy duty clutches (raybestos) & bands, a heavy duty shifting fork, and a few other beefed up parts. It was about a 2500 $ perf rebuild in all, so it must be something in there that makes it shift rough.

Is there any way I could see...some hidden tables or anything to help me out?

Give the shop a call about the shift kit. Is there a shift kit listed on the trans invoice? If there is a shift kit installed,
    then I would probably use stock shift pressures.

You could email support the file I did for you & the scan log. Maybe they could add the tables needed for the TCC.

Russ Kemp

Russ the invoice has a Transgo Stage 2 listed for $145. That's it, isnt it?

I shall email support and see what they can dig up for me. Thanks a ton for the help/files

Also what I meant about shifting on time, is it feels like when going into the next gear with moderate throttle (meaning approx 50% or so) The revs start to go down and you hear the engine labor and the revs creep back up like something didnt work out as expected, then it goes on about its business. I had it happen 2x using your file, but didn't catch it on a scan unfortunately.
    Last edited by gman4dx266; 02-01-2008 at 09:57 PM.

Transgo stage 2 is most probably a shift kit btw my 4l80e lockup also kicks out when I let off the gas opposed to where when I had the 60e in it would stay locked until I hit the brakes. Maybe if you find out from support let me know.
    2002 Pewter Trans Am WS6
    Performabuilt 4l80e and Yank PY3600 K&N FIPK Borla Exhaust No Cats Pacesetter LT's Pacesetter ORY Comp 232/236 595 600 110LSA PRC Dual Valve Springs NOS Nitrous 125 Wet Shot MSD 8.5 Plug Wires MSD Window Switch Competition Engineering Drag Shocks Custom Ghost Flames HSW Standalone Fuel System
    383RWHP 385RWTQ NA
    437RW on 125 shot unlocked 800 psi bottle pressure
    Motor 11.7 @ 115 1.6 60ft Spray 10.7 @ 125 1.46 60ft (times with 4l60e and yank ss4000)

Quote Originally Posted by RamAir02TA77
    Transgo stage 2 is most probably a shift kit btw my 4l80e lockup also kicks out when I let off the gas opposed to where when I had the 60e in it would stay locked until I hit the brakes. Maybe if you find out from support let me know.
    Thanks man. I still haven't received anything back from support@hpt yet. It's funny that your 60 would do like we want but the 80 doesnt allow it or whatever. Ive tried changing a bunch of stuff and nothing helps, so I'm at the mercy of waiting for a reply from support. Thanks guys.

Yea I belive its something with the trucks I have a 95 pickup with a 4l80e and it also unlocks when I let off i'm pretty suprised there is nothing in there for us to change. Let me know what you find out.
    2002 Pewter Trans Am WS6
    Performabuilt 4l80e and Yank PY3600 K&N FIPK Borla Exhaust No Cats Pacesetter LT's Pacesetter ORY Comp 232/236 595 600 110LSA PRC Dual Valve Springs NOS Nitrous 125 Wet Shot MSD 8.5 Plug Wires MSD Window Switch Competition Engineering Drag Shocks Custom Ghost Flames HSW Standalone Fuel System
    383RWHP 385RWTQ NA
    437RW on 125 shot unlocked 800 psi bottle pressure
    Motor 11.7 @ 115 1.6 60ft Spray 10.7 @ 125 1.46 60ft (times with 4l60e and yank ss4000)

Potential Tuner
    i have the same tcc problem as well. hopefully someone will chime in and help out. i sent a private message to chris@hptuners and never got a response. i've searched everywhere and never found a solution. have all of you guys used a segment swap to control the 4l80e. side note... know of any good shops to rebuild the 4l80e in atlanta area

I too haven't gotten any responses from support@hpt. I assume they're working on it, not sure. I'd hate to be pushy and write a follow up because i know they're hella-busy, so ill just let them get to it whenever. Jscj, I didnt do a segment swap, my truck came with the 4L80E, as it is a 1500HD.

As for a good shop in your area, I highly recommend going to one that is ATRA certified!!

search on the ATRA site
    http://www.atra.com/source/amembers/...searchtype=reb

If there isn't one listed that is certified, ask around to people you know to get a reputable shop.
    Last edited by gman4dx266; 02-15-2008 at 10:02 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I also have this problem with my TCM.. Its fixable, but I don't think you can do it with hpt.. Add me to the list of people who'd like this feature implemented.
    2006 Trailblazer SS - Stalled, Cammed, Tuned, Turbo'd, Built, and Stroked.
    Runs on cash, blood, sweat, and tears...... and 93 octane.

2007 Cadillac STS-V - Stock.

This is still annoying, i found another thread on here about it along with a few people saying it drives them crazy as well. Ive still been poking around in my cal and have not found anything to make a difference whatsoever. Still no response from Support@HPT.

Additionally, our 07 4.2 I6 Tblazer (4l60) unlocks with 0% throttle in OD as well, for whatever thats worth.

Advanced Tuner
    Well.. seems like anything thats rated for towing has this "option" checked by default.. Anyone know if the GTO a4s have this problem?
    2006 Trailblazer SS - Stalled, Cammed, Tuned, Turbo'd, Built, and Stroked.
    Runs on cash, blood, sweat, and tears...... and 93 octane.

2007 Cadillac STS-V - Stock.