Thread: Dumb question about setting up scanner

Advanced Tuner

Dumb question about setting up scanner

I just received my HPT stuff today (YEAH!), and feel fairly comfortable with it so far, but I do have 1 question I can't seem to find an answer to.

I set up a scan config file on my laptop this afternoon by modifing the existing Default Metric.cfg file and scanned on the way home tonight. Everything went well (as expected), but I was going to change a few things and then set the interface up for stand alone logging.

Here is where I'm comfoosed - If I open the .cfg file I created today, it says it's for a GM Firebird/Camaro (V8) 2002 in the title bar. The vehicle info does not match my car (VIN is blank, OSID is not mine), but the PIDs and gauges are displayed just as I've saved them. Now I can load the scan from today and my car is displayed in the title bar, but then MVPI Pro data Logging is not accessible (it's grayed out).

I've tried to search the forum for an answer, but have not been ever successful.
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

Tuner
    I just got mine yesterday so I also am a noob. You can have a config file open but not a log file if you want to talk to/from the MPVI. Click the Close log file button and the MPVI should be available.

I am struggling to get my LTFT and STFT to show up. I used the default imperial config and can only see the frist 2 histrograms. I am sure it is a user error!

Good luck.
    07 Avalanche Exhaust & CAI

Advanced Tuner
    I hooked the interface up to the car, and then everything was OK. So my problem was user error

I have not used any of the histograms, so I can't help with the LTFT and STFT problem you're having. You are able to scan them though, right?
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverG
    I am struggling to get my LTFT and STFT to show up. I used the default imperial config and can only see the frist 2 histrograms. I am sure it is a user error!
    Thats why, you have an 07' truck that has no VE table but the default config is setup for an 02 fbody LS1 that DOES have a VE table.

Head on over to our gen 4 section to see if you can find a config more suitable to your application.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner
    Yeah, I figured out how to set up a histogram to show me LTFT and STFT but it sounds like my '07 has an E38 pcm which does not have a standard VE table. All this tells me is I have more reading to do. A lot more reading!
    07 Avalanche Exhaust & CAI

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie-98GTP
    I hooked the interface up to the car, and then everything was OK.
    Eddie, you can hook the box to your laptop or desktop to add pids too and save the MPVI config. No car needed.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

I'm currently in Iraq and had to re-format my computer. Now that I re-installed OS and HPT...I can't edit my scanner for a 06 Cobalt SS/SC. I can view scans but cannot configure the scanner. I have the .os file but can't get it to work. My cable is in the States. Is there a way to change the default vehicle? Or am I screwed until I return?
    06 Cobalt SS/SC, non-G85, HARROP TVS w/2.75 (25psi), Injen CAI, LS4 TB, 60 lb-ers, Return-Style Fuel System, Methanol Injection (375ml), Diamond Forged Pistons (10.5:1), Pauter Connecting Rods, Ferrea Valve Springs, Valve Spring Retainers, Seat Locators, Cometic MLS Head Gasket (0.040"), ARP Head Studs, GM NBS, GM Cam Gears, Vibrant Headers w/Down-Pipe, Vibrant 3” Cat-Back, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, 2-Pass Intercooler Plate, ZZP H/E and a whole bunch of other crap

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You can edit your VCM Scanner.cfg file for your vehicles vin & os, this would probably get you going in the right direction.

How do I get the top to change from GM Firebird to Cobalt? Seems like the perimeters are different. I have some screen shots from my last .cfg and the "unsupported perimeters" are in different locations.
    06 Cobalt SS/SC, non-G85, HARROP TVS w/2.75 (25psi), Injen CAI, LS4 TB, 60 lb-ers, Return-Style Fuel System, Methanol Injection (375ml), Diamond Forged Pistons (10.5:1), Pauter Connecting Rods, Ferrea Valve Springs, Valve Spring Retainers, Seat Locators, Cometic MLS Head Gasket (0.040"), ARP Head Studs, GM NBS, GM Cam Gears, Vibrant Headers w/Down-Pipe, Vibrant 3” Cat-Back, SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch, Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel, 2-Pass Intercooler Plate, ZZP H/E and a whole bunch of other crap

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You need to edit the VCM Scanner.cfg in notepad.

there is nothing in there but crazy/random letters/words. I don't think I'm following directions very well...This is what it looks like:

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Thats just your config file, as stated you need to alter the file NAME VCM Scanner.cfg in your hptuners folder.

I just releaasized that. I tried to hurry up and delete it you respond too fast; but thats a good thing. Anyways what do I need to edit so it reverts to an 06 Cobalt?
    Last edited by M88ArRamadi; 01-08-2009 at 02:45 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    In the area where it says something like this

\Configs\98 VEs.cfg" />
    <add key="path_Config" value="C:\MyDocs\HP Tuners\VCM Scanner\Configs" />
    <add key="vehicle" value="1XXXXXXXXX936,12587603,,0," />
    <add key="OpeWindows" value="29" />
    <add key="LogFile1" value="C:\MyDocs\HP Tuners\VCM Scanner\Configs\MAFcfg.hpl" />
    You'll notice the vin followed by the OS

YOU, my friend, ARE THE MAN!!! It works! Thanks a lot!!!

Advanced Tuner
    I am confused??? How do I edit the defualt config file for a 2006 SSR manual transmission?

I tried opening the default imperial.cfg file in notepad and it is a bunch of symbols???

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04colyZQ8 View Post
    I am confused??? How do I edit the defualt config file for a 2006 SSR manual transmission?

I tried opening the default imperial.cfg file in notepad and it is a bunch of symbols???
    In the scanner. You cannot open the scanner configs in notepad.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    In the scanner. You cannot open the scanner configs in notepad.
    I think I figured it out, ounce I connected it to my truck it changed from camaro to SSR automatically