Thread: Boosr problem..newb

Tuner

Boosr problem..newb

I just recently recieved HPT (got it yesterday). I had time today to play with it a little bit

Car is a 04 Saturn ION Redline, 2.0L S/C LSJ..Mods are 3.1" pulley, cone filter, thats it

Since day one of the smaller pulley, above 6k rpms the boost fluctuates between ~14-~10 depending on temperature of coarse

Now I just raise my limitor slightly, and about 6400rpms Map drops suddenly to 121 KPA (about 3 psi) and stays or drops even more to about 6700rpms where I shift...all done in 2nd gear. I know GM had boost protection on 1st and 2rd gear on the LSJ cars above 6k

Now my question is, is the table that I want to adjust to solve this problem under Torque Mangement>Supercharger>Desired Boost under boost control? This table shows that is asking for 100kpa above 6250, which explains why the boost would drop/fluctuate erractly..but since I'm not playing with my car now, and rather not hurt it or waste time playing with it if its not going to work, I am asking here
    if you really need I can upload a screen shot of the datalog, but I think I explained it well enough

p.s max boost is 100% is second gear all across the table so thats not the problem

Also I'll probably be asking alot of questions about different tables, because of the way they are worded and what not

Edit: I just noticed the Title, NO I do not drink.. supposed to say Boost if you didn't catch that
    Last edited by Ryze; 02-12-2008 at 11:52 PM.

Tuner in Training
    can u post ur scan? tune? mods?im having a hard time understanding u lol

Tuner
    I do not have a log anymore

But basicly boost would fall on its face around 6400rpms and above.. From 180kpa (about 12 psi) to 120kpa (about 3 psi).

Is the table that I have to adjust Torque Mangement>Supercharger>Desired Boost under Boost Control to fix this problem?

Mods are
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryze
    Car is a 04 Saturn ION Redline, 2.0L S/C LSJ..Mods are 3.1" pulley, cone filter, thats it
    '

Stock Tune EXCEPT raise'd my Rev limitor to 6800 so I quit hitting limitor when i shift, and boost cut to around 5 psi in First...other than that STOCK tune

Tuner in Training
    Who's cone filter? K&N?
    First thing I would do is swap out that filter for the stock one and start tuning with that. Even the GM engineer for the LSJ says that the stock Saturn Redline intake filter is the best flowing filter around.
    Once you know you have a smooth linear air signal going to the MAF sensor then you can see if what you are having happen is a function of the ECU or your changes.
    Log RPM, TPS, MAF, MAP, and KR then come back with a log file..
    -Adam Chant SCdyne Performance "Tune it or lose it!"

Tuner
    wow obviously you guys don't read what is being stated,

the car ran fine, still runs fine.. I changed my rev limitor slightly higher so I don't hit it in first (if you drive a lsj car you know how bad 1st gear is) noticed in second gear at @6400rpms (close to stock limitor) boost cut from 180 Kpa to 120 kpa and lower...has nothing to do with the filter or any of the mods I have done

well anyways I actually had time to play with it today, and the table I was wondering that would fix it, is the actual table that does fix it.

be careful raising the rev limiters, boost limiters, and pulley with stock injectors.

the gm stage tunes raise those too, but they purposefully include larger injectors for a reason.

have fun tuning!
    my_bd 2004 Saturn Ion Redline - 2.0L Supercharged LSJ (P12) 13.1 @ 110

Tuner
    I actually just changed to the 42 lb stage 2 injectors and put flashed a stage 2 tune on there also

thanks for the only helpful bit of information in this thread

ahhhhh, good job
    that's a much better base to work from!
    my_bd 2004 Saturn Ion Redline - 2.0L Supercharged LSJ (P12) 13.1 @ 110