Thread: Need to know about Timing

Need to know about Timing

Old school timing adjustments were done "Seat-Of-The_Pants". Adjusted till you felt it was right.

Is this still the same way with the LS2? I know it has Knock senors, but do you adjust the timing up till you see knock and then back off. Do you have to do this for all of the cells in the timing chart? Or is there some fantastic PID that can be watched on the notebook like STFT VE adjustments and see where it needs to be and set it.

Since my hearing is not what it used to be, (too much time next to the jets in the Marine Corps), I would prefer something alittle more realible than my ear.

Blown99
    1999 Corvette
    Stroked LS2 402ci, Trickflo 225 Heads, Wiseco blower pistons, Callies H-Beam Rods TPI Headers, Random Cats, Borla exhaust, Kenny Bell supercharger with 10psi boost

Level 10 L460E tranmission, 315 rear gears, Bear brakes and Calipers

Tuner in Training
    The best way to do it is on the dyno. You are looking for MBT or the minimum timing for best torque. Advance until torque doesn't go up or has a minimal increase for every load and RPM point. Be careful to listen/watch/read plugs for knock if there is a possibility the setup could be octane limited.