Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will HPT work with Ubuntu?

Potential Tuner

Will HPT work with Ubuntu?

I just bought an older compaq laptop. I need to install an OS and was curious if anyone has used Ubuntu with HPT?

If not I probably have an old version of windows 2k laying around.

If it's a linux derivitive, no. HP is only compatible with MicroSponge Winders.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    If it's a linux derivitive, no. HP is only compatible with MicroSponge Winders.
    'tis a linux derivative.
    The '07 Aura XR
    [In] XM ExpressEZ
    [Next] intake res delete, Tint, Eibachs

The Procharged Ion - SMP Stage 2 QC
    20/5 tint, SPS stb, CF dash, reflective bumper insert, 62mm TB, RL plugs, masked corners, progress rsb, RL fsb, 2.5" cat-back, triple pod w/ Boost, FPG, LC-1 & XD-16, filled front & rear mounts, pclear shorty shift, Procharged, Eibach Pros, 8k HIDs - 188.28whp / 175.03wtq, NO TUNE

I thought so.

Your only option would be to acquire a copy of Virtual PC or VMWare for linux to emulate an installation of windows. But, like you said, it is an old computer, therefore it would barely even be able to run VMWare or anything by itself let alone windows inside of it.

Im facing almost the same thing myself with an apple iBook. I love the battery life of the thing but just wish i could merge that with HPT. oh well.

Tuner in Training FunkyStickman's Avatar
    I'm a Linux user, and it may be possible to get HPT running in Linux under WINE (which is sort of a Windows compatability layer). I'll give this a try and post the results (and a how-to if it works) here. I've already tried using a VM to run it, but the scanner's USB interface didn't like it very much. It should be possible, if I can get .NET 2.0 installed.

Cheers!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
    I'm a Linux user, and it may be possible to get HPT running in Linux under WINE (which is sort of a Windows compatability layer). I'll give this a try and post the results (and a how-to if it works) here. I've already tried using a VM to run it, but the scanner's USB interface didn't like it very much. It should be possible, if I can get .NET 2.0 installed.

Cheers!
    any updates on this?

Tuner in Training
    I am running Ubuntu 8.04, VMware 6.x with a windows XP session and it works perfectly fine.

EDITED - I've actually been running VMWare 6.04. The 5.x series of workstation only supports low USB port speed. Sorry about that.
    Last edited by rommer; 08-22-2008 at 07:03 AM.

Ahh Confirmation... Good to know.

Tuner in Training
    Now if I can only get up to speed on how to tune I'd be a happy camper!

Reading reading reading....

(I did get a base tune from ADM performance so I have a taste of the future.)

Tuner in Training
    Just an FYI, I was able to get the HP Tuners suite to run under Ubuntu/wine although I have not attempted to connect to a car yet. Can view files and play logs so far. Getting the .NET stuff to run under wine was the trickiest part but doable.

More testing to come.

any news on this? is Linux correctly handling the I/O to the ECM?
    2012 Panamera Turbo
    2010 Cayenne GTS
    1991 Suburban 2500 - 565EFI, 6L90, NP205, 4 link/coilovers on 37s.

Guess I'll need to make it work for myself...
    2012 Panamera Turbo
    2010 Cayenne GTS

I've managed to get the software installed in Linux under Wine, but I haven't been able to get the interface working yet. I imagine this has to do with the native Linux drivers for the interface... I'm doing some research on if it's possible to get the driver DLLs to work.

I'll post some progress when I find out more info.

After reading the Windows Vista guys' thread about having to manually install drivers, lo and behold, they make Linux native drivers for these chips!

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

I'm definitely going to give it a shot and see what hapens. If I can get it to work, expect a full how-to written by me.

(EDIT)
    I successfully installed the interface drivers, and was able to plug it in and see it with "lsusb". I'm at work, though, and I don't have wine installed on my Linux VM, so I'll have to wait until I get home to complete testing. So far, though, it's looking great!

Linux freaking ROCKS!
    Last edited by FunkyStickman; 01-07-2009 at 01:29 PM.

I got it to work, the best way I could... I had to use free VM software, but I got it running.

Basically, I could not get any version of HPT to run in wine (emulation). Either it used .net 1.1 (which doesn't work in wine) or .net 2.0 which for some reason it couldn't detect, even installed and with .dll overrides.

I tried getting it to work in a VM, but the passthrough USB drivers didn't work... Linux has to recognize the device before it shows up in the VM.

Thanks to the Vista guys (I'll never say Vista is good for nothing now...) I found the chip's Linux drivers, installed them, and fired up a VM to install Windows onto. Yes, it still requires a Windows license... can't get around that.

So what I did was install Ubuntu 8.10 (latest version) on a computer I built.
    www.ubuntu.com

Get the Linux drivers here: (the readme file explains how to install them)
    http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/D2XX.htm

To check if it worked, plug the MVPI in and run "lsusb" to see if it shows up as a device.

I'm familiar with VirtualBox VM software... but don't download the one that comes with the distro, you need to get the latest one straight from Sun because it has USB support. Theoretically, since they have OSX drivers for the MVPI, and they make VirtualBox for OSX, it should be feasible to make this work on a Mac, too. Anybody wanting to donate one for me to use for testing? Heh.

http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/get.jsp

You will need to do a few workarounds to make pass-through USB work for Virtualbox in Linux. There's an excellent how-to here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VirtualBox

Once you've got VirtualBox installed and the USB configured, you need to create a virtual machine in VB. You'll need about 3GB of a virtual hard drive to do a basic WinXP install. If you have an old copy of Win98, I think you could get it to work as well, but I had an unused XP license. I'm not going into too much detail on how to set up a VM with VirtualBox, but there's plenty of how-to's around.

Once you've gotten Windows installed in the VM, fire it up. You'll want to install the VirtualBox Guest Addons to make the VM easier to use. Once you've done that, install HP Tuners like you normally would. Keep the CD handy... you'll need the Windows drivers for the MVPI as well.

You will need to install .net on the VM, you might have to download 2.0 from Microsoft.

Once you fire up the VM, and open HP Tuners (scanner or Editor) you will need to right-click the USB icon at the bottom, and enable the HPTuners interface... which makes it visible to the VM. It will detect it, and ask for the Windows drivers for the MVPI. Once that's done, bang! You're tuning, baby!

As you can see here, I've successfully connected it, and it's pulled my MVPI's serial number. WIN!

Linux FTMFW!!!! I'm going to grab the stuff right now...

PS- I figured VMware would need to be used on this, the saving grace is the driver for linux. without that we'd be up shit creek I think.
    2012 Panamera Turbo
    2010 Cayenne GTS

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    Linux FTMFW!!!! I'm going to grab the stuff right now...

PS- I figured VMware would need to be used on this, the saving grace is the driver for linux. without that we'd be up shit creek I think.
    Correct, that was the only thing holding it back. Rommer said he got it working with wine, but I tried and tried and got nowhere. I have not tried with 64-bit versions of anything, I had enough trouble getting it to work on all 32-bit. Everything should work the same, but you never know...

Once I get the time, probbaly tomorrow, I'll hook the computer up in the car and do some real-world testing with it.
    Last edited by FunkyStickman; 01-12-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I've got an Ubuntu netbook and would just love to see this working in WINE. No way I'm going to run VMWare on top of Linux on a 1.6GHz atom processor...
    Let me know if there's any tricks you've found even to get the scanner to load. It installs fine on my WINE setup, but I can't get it to go beyond the splash screen when I try to load the program. Silently disappears after the splash screen (almost certainly a .NET 2.0 problem)?

Yes, it's a .net problem. I did a lot of research on Mono (open-source .net implementation) but I couldn't get that working either. Supposedly .net 2.0 works with no hacks under wine, but HPT seems to either still rely on 1.1 code, or something. I'd like to get it working in wine as well, but so far I've had no luck.