Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will HPT work with Ubuntu?

Tuner in Training
    IIRC .NET 1.1 will install in WINE as well, I'll remove 2.0 and give 1.1 a go tomorrow...

Tuner in Training FunkyStickman's Avatar
    Okay, here's the official report: it's very choppy on my computer. In Linux, the default graphics drivers are very sucky, so I'm going to dig out an old nvidia graphics card, install the good drivers, and give it another shot. However, it did work... it seems it would work fine for flashing, but I'm going to work on getting the graphics a bit smoother. More report later.

I did manage to get the latest HP Tuners installed, and working under wine... I installed .net 2.0 (and ONLY .net 2.0), then installed msiexec and the latest VCMSuite.msi. It does work, though it's extremely choppy. Two steps forward, four steps back...

Good news, I installed a cheap video card, and now running HPT in a virtual machine works flawlessly... it's smooth, no problems. It only slows down a bit when you've got 20+ gauges and the chart running at the same time.

I'm excited that I got it to run at all, honestly. I will still play with it a bit, but it's 100% functional if you've got a relatively new computer running Linux with VirtualBox.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

what do you think of the atom processor? will it handle hpt?
    2012 Panamera Turbo
    2010 Cayenne GTS
    1991 Suburban 2500 - 565EFI, 6L90, NP205, 4 link/coilovers on 37s.

Tuner in Training
    It runs great, but I just ordered the Ubuntu one, then as an afterthought figured I could do HPT. I have the base base model except 1GB of RAM. I am sure that it would run fine if I could figure out how to milk it through WINE. It certainly doesn't have the power to run a VM with it in it.

From what I've seen on my computer, I doubt it. You mignt get it to run smoothly if you have 1GB of memory or more, and use a VM, but I couldn't say for sure. It's possible to do it, but I really don't know what kind of power the Atom has. It might work... too bad you can't borrow one to test with.

I'm guessing you're looking at the 9" mini Inspiron? It doesn't look that bad, actually... it just might work. The only thing is, the small 4GB flash HD won't cut it, you'll need to go with at least 8GB for the host OS and the virtual machine.Go with at least 1GB of memory, too... the way the VM works, you assign it a fixed amount of memory. So if you've got 1GB total, you assign 512MB to the VM, and your host OS is left with 512MB as well... 1GB would be minimum for running VM's.

I'm working on getting some info (maybe video) of my setup working, as there's a lot of people interested in this kind of setup.

Okay, I posted my how-to for using it in a VM, here's how to set it up using wine:

First, install wine ("sudo apt-get install wine" should do it if you're using Ubuntu)

Next, I used a script called "winetricks" to get all the patches and pieces working. You can get it by opening a terminal and typing "wget http://www.kegel.com/wine/winetricks" which downloads the script.

Next, just run it with "sh winetricks" and it should bring up a window with a list of things you can use it to install in wine. From a fresh install, I checked "msiexec" "corefonts" and "dotnet20" and let it download and install them.

Next, I downloaded the latest version of HPT. I used VCMSuite-2_22.msi

You install it with "msiexec /i VCMSuite-2_22.msi" (make sure you type it right, it's case-sensitive!) and go through the process. If it asks you to install .net 2.0, run winetricks again and re-install that. You should not need .net 1.1. You may have to override the .net DLL file, here's how you do this:

To use native (windows) .dll's you run "winecfg" and go to the Libraries tab. Select "mscoree" from the drop-down list, and click "Add". Once it's there, it will show as "native, builtin" which means it will use the Windows version first, then try the wine version if that fails. If it doesn't say "Native" first, click it, click "Edit" and change it to "Native."

I did this last night, and it worked fine, entered the application key, and everything. Hopefully it runs better on a newer machine, I'll admit my computer isn't the newest.

If you try it and it works for you, let us know!
    Last edited by FunkyStickman; 01-16-2009 at 12:19 PM.

was looking at the mini12 with oem ubuntu install 1.6ghz processor 1gb ram and 40gb HD...
    2012 Panamera Turbo
    2010 Cayenne GTS

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    was looking at the mini12 with oem ubuntu install 1.6ghz processor 1gb ram and 40gb HD...
    I'm sure you can run the VM software with that, though I can't say how performance would be. Maybe if you used a Win98 install instead of WinXP in the virtual machine it would help, it's worth a shot.

As a side note, Linux driver support for these atom-based netbooks is generally very good.

Tuner in Training
    MSCOREE was what I was missing!
    1.6GHz Atom with 1GB of RAM running this on WINE runs perfectly smoothly. No problems whatsoever. Thanks for all the tidbits guys.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyWV View Post
    MSCOREE was what I was missing!
    1.6GHz Atom with 1GB of RAM running this on WINE runs perfectly smoothly. No problems whatsoever. Thanks for all the tidbits guys.
    AWESOME! Glad I could help.

I bet this ubuntu tuning thing will swing alot of people away from winders. I like it.
    2012 Panamera Turbo
    2010 Cayenne GTS

Tuner in Training
    I have no problems with Windows, I run it as my primary desktop, but I run Linux on my fileserver and my router. Now I run Linux on the netbook because it's lighter weight, but I still think Windows is easier to use....
    I do computer security for a living and I believe there are every bit as many flaws in Linux as Windows, the difference being Windows is a bigger target and is therefore attacked a lot more often. I am all about the right tool for the job. I won't switch from Windows on my desktop any time soon, but I would much rather run Linux for a fileserver or anything that requires a very lightweight setup.

windows is a resource hog, computers continue to get faster, and windows continues to get more bloated to slow them right back down again. if it wasn't for my cad/cam systems needing win I would have shit canned it long ago. Vista is even worse than XP is.
    2012 Panamera Turbo
    2010 Cayenne GTS

Tuner in Training
    All OS's suffer that problem. Ubuntu 9 certainly won't run (default configuration) on the same hardware Ubuntu 1 would. OSX 10.5 won't run on the same hardware System7 ran on. However, they can all be scaled back drastically. I can make Vista run blazingly fast on a P3 1GHz with 1GB of RAM. The only REAL resource hog in Vista is the "Luna" interface, turn that back to classic and you're going to outperform XP in about 90% of real-world applications. In Ubuntu if you drop KDE/Gnome and use WindowMaker you're going to run at least 5 versions faster. If you're not doing anything with a GUI (mostly only good for servers) you can drop the GUI all together, although a huge percentage of Linux apps are now still requiring the Gnome or KDE libraries even if you do end up running from CLI.

My biggest argument for Linux is not that it's easier to use (it's not), it's not that it's faster (could be, but by default only slightly so), it's that it's free and does everything you need. Spending 5 hours to install a program like this is fine for someone who likes tinkering with computers, but if I had to do that for every piece of software, I'd much rather run Vista/XP...

Potential Tuner
    Hey FunkyStickman, thanks for the howto, it was very helpful.

I have VCM running in WINE now, and I added the usbid for the MPVI to the ftdi_sio driver so I get ttyS3 and ttyS4 from it, which I assign to COM1 and COM2 for WINE, but no joy on getting VCM to find the MPVI.

In lieu of anyone else having it working already, I assume it looks for the USB device to figure out which COM ports to use, so it won't be possible to get it going unless there is a secret regkey or config file we can drop to force VCM to use specific COM ports.

Any hints from folks with access to the source would be nice...

this makes me happy =)

i just recently switched my hardware to a laptop with a fully functional screen (except mobo/processor) because hptuners is in the mail coming here and i figured i would probably want to be able to see the screen. i've been running ubuntu forever and had a partition with 12gigs to play starcraft on... but for some reason my XP partition up and destroyed itself during the move... hopefully this processor can run it. thanks for the wine walk through, hope vcm can find the mpvi...

06 G6 GTP M6 3.9L LZ9 (pushrod V6 with VVT)

Semi-update on this, I bought a Dell 9" Inspiron Mini (for my wife) and it's running Ubuntu 8.10. I'm going to install HPTuners on it in Wine and test it, and if it works, I'll be buying one for the car eventually. I picked it up refurbed from Dell for $260 (yes, that's right... a laptop for $260). http://www.dell.com/outlet

I will post a complete how-to video once I get this done. The tuning community deserves nothing less!

(EDIT) I know I will have to work on getting the virtual COM port drivers working... I'll post more info on that as I figure it out.
    Last edited by FunkyStickman; 04-24-2009 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blackace View Post
    Hey FunkyStickman, thanks for the howto, it was very helpful.

I have VCM running in WINE now, and I added the usbid for the MPVI to the ftdi_sio driver so I get ttyS3 and ttyS4 from it, which I assign to COM1 and COM2 for WINE, but no joy on getting VCM to find the MPVI.

In lieu of anyone else having it working already, I assume it looks for the USB device to figure out which COM ports to use, so it won't be possible to get it going unless there is a secret regkey or config file we can drop to force VCM to use specific COM ports.

Any hints from folks with access to the source would be nice...
    I'm going to be working on getting this running as well, I hope we can come up with a solution!

(EDIT) Looks like Wine doesn't support direct USB natively, and the Serial drivers aren't quite working right... probably because HPT is looking for a certain thing on the serial interface, and the USB box doesn't give it what it's looking for.

However, I've found a person who has written a patch that lets Wine directly access USB devices (he's using it for USB security dongles, but it should work for the MVPI too) and I'm going to have to compile wine with this patch to make it work. However, since the MVPI does show up natively in Linux, this patch may give the compatibility layer to make it work correctly. I'm not sure if I'll have to use the actual Windows drivers, but as I said, I'm going to give it a shot.
    Last edited by FunkyStickman; 04-24-2009 at 11:02 AM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I picked up an Eee pc 900a tonight for $170 so I might toy around with this, I've always wanted a mini pc and the refurbished one I got is loaded with linix something or other.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"