Thread: CPIG'S HP TUNER Tuning Guide used...Correctly so far?

Senior Tuner

CPIG'S HP TUNER Tuning Guide used...Correctly so far?

Purchased my HP TUNERS PRO. from some great people out at Nelson Performance in San Antonio, TX a few days ago. PLX Wideband OTW!

Decided to use 2 of 8 credits on a friends factory freak test bed car, (Duffster)-2000 Chevy Camaro LS1 M6.

After some basic changes that can be done with a handheld tuner it was time to delve into the nuts/bolts of real tuning.

Using CPIG'S guide I started with (Tuning the VE Tables using LTFT's and STFT's) Narrow Band Method.

Questions: SMOOTH THE VE TABLE using the The "Paste Special - Add" feature... I am literally copying from the VCM Scanner the entire LTFT table, right clicking in the Editor Main VE table and hitting paste special add, then the same for the STFT. Here is the question...the instructions tell you to HAND smooth each depression or spike...I used SMOOTH SELECTION option instead, So is that OKAY?

All I know is we are getting alot (I think?) of KR* on part throttle tip in...basically it bogs only if you fill the cylinders quicky from a steady rpm state causing momentary hesitation, then takes off like a bat out of hell!

Had a few noob mistakes 1.) Logged a 20 min. scan only to write over it on accident twice now 2.)10 min. into a log the laptop died and I forgot the power cable at home 3.) UNKOWN but will happen! Lol! Still having a blast learning though.

Below I have included the following:

Stock Tune
    Log File

Current Tune
    Most Recent Log File
    Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 02-26-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Senior Tuner
    My post feels like a hot chick everyone wants to take a sly look at but is just too chicken shit to talk too! COME ON IN AND HELP ME OUT FOLKS! LOL

Looking at the DuffRun2 file:

LTFT's look pretty clean - nearly 10% rich at and near idle though. A little MAF adjustment will fix that.

Lots of KR. Looks like the factory cal is either too aggressive or it's time for new knock sensors. Or more probably: octane creep from carbon build up.

What the heck was going on around frame 1000, again around frame 2400, at 3700-3925, and finally at 4350-4410? Looks like someone was tap-dancing on the throttle like a madman! LOL That's not the way to get good data. Smooth and steady wins the day.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    Well I have some new logs and tune we uploaded below. Still running in SD with MAF out of the picture. We are going to adjust the LTFT 1 more time and then start tuning the STFT thereafter using CPIG's instructions. Followed by MAF tuning. We have been logging his car to death...only problem is the MPVI is linked to my laptop and thought he has HP Tuners Pro installed with my user info. on his home computer he can't access the logs for some reason. I guess the MPVI attatches itself to one computer over another...Dunno? He can view the tune though. Where exactly am I looking to see it running 10% rich at and near idle? Yup you busted us blipping the throttle to get every spot filled in on the log tables. Live and learn won't be doing that anymore for LTFT's tuning. Lol
    Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 02-28-2008 at 10:44 AM.

CK, post up run 9 and tune 5 and see if anyone will evaluate it's results? 10 is still in the module . . . as is 11
    Last edited by Duffster; 02-29-2008 at 01:25 AM.
    2001 Z28 (Black-6 Speed converted to 4L60E) - Holley Hi-Ram LS3 Iron 6.0 bored/stroked 408 Forged Internals 11.4:1CR (anticipate 475+RWHP) Moser M9 35-spline Posi Strange center 3.00:1 gears - Best 1/4 Mile: 12.18 @ 113.15 (3360# race weight) when near stock --- No new times yet ---
    BMR tubular front L/U a-arms and k-member. UMI Adj. T/A and adjustable rear LCA's, Spohn PHR and Dragbar. !Air!,!P/S!,!TCC/ABS!.

A small but very important point that you need to apply is that fuel trims or AFR error need to altered as a percentage not and add or subtract. So instead of Paste Special ==> Add, use Paste Special ==> Mult by % or Mult % - Half.

Also if you wish to use the smoothing feature then use on areas such as cruise, idle and WOT, not the the entire table IMO.

Keep chipping away at it and you'll be all over it

SSUte01, thats exactly what we accomplished last night over a 3 run process was (hopefully) the adjustments of short term fuel trims. Did the LTFTs over 3 runs also. Adjusted some of the knock sensor work and adjusted the timing a smidge also. So far, I think the car physically responds better now and can't wait for both dyno results AND track results.

Thanks

D
    2001 Z28 (Black-6 Speed converted to 4L60E) - Holley Hi-Ram LS3 Iron 6.0 bored/stroked 408 Forged Internals 11.4:1CR (anticipate 475+RWHP) Moser M9 35-spline Posi Strange center 3.00:1 gears - Best 1/4 Mile: 12.18 @ 113.15 (3360# race weight) when near stock --- No new times yet ---
    BMR tubular front L/U a-arms and k-member. UMI Adj. T/A and adjustable rear LCA's, Spohn PHR and Dragbar. !Air!,!P/S!,!TCC/ABS!.

Nice work, sounds like you are getting there. Sorry if I was stating the obvious but I just wanted to point out to multiply by a percentage rather than adding the trims, I have made that mistake once by following an incorrect guide until I set myself straight.

Post up the results when you get them and again nice work.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SSUte01
    Nice work, sounds like you are getting there. Sorry if I was stating the obvious but I just wanted to point out to multiply by a percentage rather than adding the trims, I have made that mistake once by following an incorrect guide until I set myself straight.

Post up the results when you get them and again nice work.
    Cool thanks for the advice man. Using Multiply by % from now on and will work on not using the smooth entire anymore. I'm sure you can see the difference between his stock table and the table now. Think I should go back and adjust it manually again or okay where we are? Below is the most recent logs and tune. Lots of changes from tune 5 to get rid of *KR and throttle response is a bad mo'fo' now according to the owner...I keep telling myself the tuner is to help make extra mod $'s but I want to use 2 credits on my ride SO BAD right now. Have plenty just working on getting a year/model knocked out first. Sooon very sooon!
    Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 03-05-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Anyone have a chance to give us a look see?

Senior Tuner
    Keep adjusting the spark table to get rid of the rest of the KR. Then when you have cleared it up, look at the High oct table in 2-D chart view. Smooth the spark transitions and scan for KR again. Couple of runs and it'll be spot on! Don't forget to copy the finished High Oct table to the low and take 3-4* from it in case you get a bad tank of gas.

Senior Tuner
    Hey Thanks for the postive reinforcement MMGT1! Car was run on a dyno yesterday. Run was free so I'm guessing thats why A/F wasn't monitored. Mods in Duffster sig. above. Copy of graph below. Anyone want to give me some pointers? Looks choppy and doesn't keep making power out to 6k like I thought it would. Still waiting on my W/B. If anyone can comment on how I can check the validity of his A/F without a wideband please enlighten me.
    Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 03-05-2008 at 12:43 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    In CPIG's guide it says to log data when doing PE tuning from a stop and not from a roll. Why?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Advanced Tuner
    Anyone?
    www.outlawpontiacdragseries.com
    Come race with us in MA, PA, and VA!

2005 GTO A4 - Spintech X-pipe with Powerstick mufflers, IAT relocate, Volant, !scoops, !cowlgasket, !skid plate, LM-1, HPT2.0/MPVI Pro USB, 275x40x17 Nitto DR, rolled fenders, Pedders 2985 springs, Britax baby seat with 5 point harness.
    Stock:13.36@104
    Mods in sig:[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by PurplePiss
    In CPIG's guide it says to log data when doing PE tuning from a stop and not from a roll. Why?
    Haven't read the guide, but I would think so you could see what happens off idle. Make sure you're getting propper fueling during the transition. Just guessing.

CK, thanks for the link to that guide!!
    2003 Z06
    Forged 347
    PTE Billet 67/65 Turbos
    FMIC / Dual 50mm Tial BOV's
    ID 1000 Injectors
    RSI Stage 4 Fuel System
    07 Z06 Cam
    Tripple Nozzle Meth
    ACT Twin disk clutch

25# Boost

Senior Tuner
    You mentioned using the long term trims then going to the short. I'd go into your table view, add a "user defined PID" that will add LTFT to STFT. Use it only for NON-PE sections of the VE tune. Instead of applying it to the MAF apply it to your VE table. Once, or if, you replace the MAF use the same LTFT+STFT applied against your MAF scale. The "norm' is tuning up to 7500Hz but in my case I go into PE around 6000Hz. What I did was scan for commanded AFR and MAF Hz. This will give you a better idea where your PE kicks in. Don't make any adjustments above that without your WB.