Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Started...

Tuner in Training

Question Getting Started...

Hello everyone, I have been working on a start up tune file for my turbo cavalier project with a couple people...all of whom are more expirienced than I. I plan to get the car dyno tuned pretty much immediately, but I can not get it running. I have found out that it i dumping SO MUCH gas it is pooling in the dishes of the pistons (and probably down into the crank case). I as well as others, have gone over the file, injector constant, ve tables....pretty mcuh everything I can think of. Everything looks like it should at least start up and run...

Is there something I missed , is there some kind of starting procedure that needs done ? I would like to get this pig running this weekend.

I appreciate any and all help in this matter, and to Ryan @ p&p.. thats for you.

A little on the setup. 2001 cavalier 2200, 5spd. GT3071R turbo intercooled, fully built engine, MSD DIS 2 (for ignition retard under boost) with seperate 3-bar MAP, car running on stock 1 bar MAP, 500cc injectors. Any questions please ask.

I am attaching a copy of my tune, actually this is the tune Ryan and I worked out (most of the credit to Ryan of course), and he sent me under a license year he had. I transfered ALL tables over EXACTLY to my file, and will attach a copy of that tonight (not loaded onto this PC). Once again ANY help is GREATLY appreciated.

John, did you ever try to start it on the stock injectors/stock tune to see if it would atleast run? I know it is a "fresh" rebuild, but it may be worth a shot and would also allow for a better break in without washing down the cylinders..... Also,remember that a proper break in is very important for longevity.... I know you said before that your MSD was bad, and you went back to stock ignition also.. You are 100% sure you have good spark? I just looked at that tune(the one I helped you with) and compared to a stock file, and the changes are minor (exlcuding high RPM VE is raised, Injector constant for your injectors).. As I told you before, I did not go crazy with the file as you just wanted it to run safely until you get it to your dyno tuner.... This thing should run... We both know you are getting fuel, I am just not sure about spark....
    Last edited by imphat0260; 02-29-2008 at 09:11 AM.

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Hey Ryan, I checked around for the stock injectors, but only have the skinny style, and I no longer have the skinny clips for the injectors, just the older style, so I would have to buy new injectors to return it to stock (or new injector clips). I at least seem to be getting good spark on the factory ignition, whether or not it is showing up at the right time, I have yet to determine. I talked to Shifted on JBO, who suggested lowering the injector constant until it runs right, and flood clearing it between tries. I am not looking for a tune to drive on at this point...just run (no boost), and agree 100% that this file SHOULD do that, after I get the fuelling right.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, I am attaching the file that is downloaded to the car...maybe there is something I missed?? Who knows....I plan to lower the injector constant to get it running so my car doesn't do this anymore

If I am succesful...IMA do a happy dance

If anyone else wants to chime in...I am always open to suggestions.

Just did a compare file on the file I sent and the one you have loaded... Looks like you copied the VE tables then added to the VE offeset. Doing that rasied the tables higher than what you copied and entered in.... Fix that and dry out your cylinders....

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Ah yes, and drying out the cylinders will be the fun part. Thanks for the review...glad you found something.

Hopefully it is enough, and I can leave that injector constant alone....we will see tomorrow...

Tuner in Training
    Well she still don't start....time to go back & look at the basics (again). I see NO reason it shouldn't start on that tune, even with a reduced injector constant.

Any other suggestions are always appretiated.

Quote Originally Posted by 01turbocav
    Well she still don't start....time to go back & look at the basics (again). I see NO reason it shouldn't start on that tune, even with a reduced injector constant.

Any other suggestions are always appretiated.
    You said is sputtered once... Just curious, run a compression test... We know you have fuel, and you said its getting spark.....
    Last edited by imphat0260; 03-03-2008 at 02:28 PM.

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Plan on it....thats one of my "going back to basics" steps...I will let you know the results later this week.

I am suspecting it will be low with unbroken in cyl. and gas washed walls...

Tuner in Training
    We have starting pwer now

Thanks for the help Ryan. I really need to richen it up at idle before I can even see whats going on cruising....not to mention boosting, but the hard part is done. A few more minor kinks and I am good to go

Glad to hear you got it running

P&P Tuning

Tuner in Training
    Yeah, you and me BOTH...

Quote Originally Posted by 01turbocav
    Yeah, you and me BOTH...
    Just an FYI for anybody who was following this thread.... It was a mechanical error that has been fixed. Also, the tune is not as lean as OP first thought. Gauge is not reading correctly, but controller is reading properly through the scanner.... Once again, glad you got it running John... Get it broke in and lets see what it puts down!

P&P Tuning

What was the problem? What is the AFR at idle?

Tuner in Training
    The problem was lack of compression due to the preload on the rockers being set to high. After re-adjusting the rockers, started right up. A/F is very lean currently, at around 16:1-18:1

Still working the bugs out of that problem.

Potential Tuner
    Glade to hear you got it running!!!

Tuner in Training
    Yeah it is running (thank god), but still a long winding road to get everything up to snuff.

Tuner in Training
    can u tell me where did u get the 2bar map sensor and does it just plug in to the stock connector or is there a pig tail connector

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by turboS10
    can u tell me where did u get the 2bar map sensor and does it just plug in to the stock connector or is there a pig tail connector
    I actually decided to run the computer off a stock 1 bar, and an external 3-bar for my MSD ignition. That way I would not loose resoultion from faking a higher MAP than my computer was meant for. I DO however have a 3-bar map that is plug & play for that motor. same shape, size, and connection type. If you need the part number for that (or want to buy mine...) let me know.

Tuner in Training
    what is the part number for the 2bar map and where can i get it at