Thread: 4.2 Running E85

Tuner

4.2 Running E85

Can someone give me some insight on what tuning needs to be done to run E85 in my envoy? I do not plan on running it alone and all the time but would like to substitute it with the price of fuel now.
    2006 Ford F250 CCSB 6.0 Powerstroke
    SCT Tuned by Vivian @ QuickTricksAutomotive

try getting some flex fuel V8 files and compare them to the stock V8 ones.

From what I've heard, spark control needs to be played around with the most.

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    If it's not flex fuel you'll have to dedicate a tune for E85 and flash it in when you wanna use it. In addition, you can t really ever count on the alky% in the fuel so your tune will almst never be spot on.

Tuner
    I would like to have a dedicated E85 tune. It doesnt have to be a tune that is only 100% E85. I would just like to be able to run in like 50/50 or even 75% E85. I just have no idea what to change. I know that the Stoich has to be changed.

Advanced Tuner
    Honeoye,Ny. Boondox son. Shoot guns out my back door. noone cares.
    Thats the thing bud- it does. You need to be able to count on alky% to be able to create the right stoich #. Winter E85 is actually E70 to help with the vaporization. It all makes a difference.
    The flex fuel vehicles either have a realtime % content sensor in the return line or use sophisticated algorithmns to predict alky%
    Stoich for E85 is like 9.12:1. Gasoline-14.7:1

Maybe you could get a flex fuel patch from another op system. I think you;d be the first though. Start by downloading a flex fuel cal from any GM vehicle from the repository.
    View it and see what the general has done to get the motor to run right under varying amounts of alky. Stoich is obvioisly a big part of the fueling, but alky has a significantly different burn rate/temp so there are seperate Ignition tables written for alky.
    The reid vapor pressure for alcohol also requires separate cold start tables.

To be honest justin, unless your going forced induction or something IMO it's alotta work for not too much reward.

Tuner
    Thats the answer I was looking for.

Not excatly right, i have work on a project (Frenc car sell in Brazil) with the E100 fuel yhe correct need to be 9:1 (gasoline ratio = 14.7:1)

edit :
    You need to know that to run with a lot of ethanol in your fuel, you need to change :

your valves
    injectors
    fuel hose
    fuel tank
    and the fuel pump

Regard
    Last edited by MinusG40; 03-25-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Tuner
    You need to know that to run with a lot of ethanol in your fuel, you need to change :

your valves
    injectors
    fuel hose
    fuel tank
    and the fuel pump
    Not correct.
    The fuel systems on cars that fulfill OBDII has materials that are compatible with Ethanol, as opesed to Methanol.
    In Sweden there is wast eperience with this kind of conversions,
    there are no problems in practical use.

As for the stoich, no problems there either, set your stoich on 9,5:1 to run
    E70-E85, the variation in fuel blend is taken care of the STF/LTF in closed loop. Tune cold start with E85, then you will be running rich in winter with E70, just what you want to do.

I have now 40k miles on E85 converted gas Tahoe.

//