Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone Else Getting Frustrated With Newbs?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by gman4dx266
    All i gotta say on this is...well...Im one, if not THE youngest HPT owner/user on here, and if I can figure it out, then pretty much anyone can.
    Sounds like you give yourself too little 'smarts' credit and expect others will be able to figure out anything you can.

It's all good as long as you realize that although you may be smarter than some others, just don't think you are smarter than everyone else.

That was kind of a compliment, so don't take it wrong.
    BTW: I take that same attitude a lot myself.

Ya, I wish this thread hadn't been revived. I just needed to vent one day and never thought it would get this much attention.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner
    This is a greeat post...

I bought HPtuners back in October 2004 and hadn't posted stupid questions for the first 2.5 years and then I was quickly directed to the stickies which are not spoke in english to a newb..
    Its true, for some reason when your a newb the sticky topcs are invisible. it happened to me too.. never spotted them.

My moment of frustration was when I converted from the old serial interface to the MVPI... that's behind me now Thank God.. Its all good now.

I admitt after a few failed attempts at getting some desired results and going down in flames.. I made the decision to myself to study posts, material posted by other members like 5LE, Bill, EC-Tune who was helpful for me at that time etc.

It takes months of practice for some of us.. like me.

That being said, I appreciate all of your efforts 5-liter, Chris, Bill, ECtune, Keith etc... Thanks guys..

Now my soap-box.
    It's bother-some to me when someone is asking for help, you make recommendations and they blast you for it because they don't like the suggestion or whatever.

If you ask for help, at least consider the suggestions that you are receiving before you lash out at the people taking their time to "try to help"

Later,
    Best 60' = 1.716
    Best ET = 12.186
    Best MPH = 112.98

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Yeah I remember when alot of this stuff didn't seem as though it were spoken in english, I recall many a time when I would go to forum members off the forum to ask questions about things like Open Loop & Speed Density & if they were the same thing, etc. Really that became my reasoning FOR the stickies that I post as for me every day is a learning experience, every day I get to converse with our engineers about things I may have not thought about or simply am not well versed in or things I simply couldn't explain. The Your Guide to a good tuning experience sticky is simply a compilation of MY experience over the years & the mistakes I've seen others fall into over that time in hopes that it will help others understand the "process" that is tuning.

Many thing they'll just jump in and while some do, many fail. And when I say fail I mean they fail HARD...ie they look at 400 parameter & simply can't make sense of any of it and either throw their hardware in a box & forget about it or end up selling it. There really is no quick way to learn without ponying up some serious cash for at home books, training courses, etc. If you plan on doing it yourself & without anyones help you need to cut your teeth somewhere & the R&D work will be on you. Questions like what timing is best on xx combination are going to get answers from 22*-30* of timing so in the end sometimes its just best to find out what works FOR YOU & what doesn't rather than relying on others. GM's tune really is a starter tune so you start from there & adjust parameters within reason.

Anywayz that was my soap box & Im done

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    My thinking on this, as one of those spoken of in this thread and this being my first message here and all, is that this sort of thread is no way to build a customer base!

HPTuners is probably in business to make money. Selling more of their product is what accomplishes that, so it would be pretty wise on their part to encourage new customers and to somehow ENSURE that their beginning and future experiences are adequate enough for those people to then spread the word to others who will in turn purchase more of their product and on and on.

The idea that new people are coming here asking questions that no one wants to take the time to answer because of the perception that they should just be reading for however long it takes in order to find out the answers for themselves and that they are just a bother because of it will drive prospective purchasers away in droves. Making new users feel like dirt and afraid to ask for help before they experiment their way into trouble using the product won't help future sales...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners
    Yeah I remember when alot of this stuff didn't seem as though it were spoken in english, I recall many a time when I would go to forum members off the forum to ask questions about things like Open Loop & Speed Density & if they were the same thing, etc. Really that became my reasoning FOR the stickies that I post as for me every day is a learning experience, every day I get to converse with our engineers about things I may have not thought about or simply am not well versed in or things I simply couldn't explain. The Your Guide to a good tuning experience sticky is simply a compilation of MY experience over the years & the mistakes I've seen others fall into over that time in hopes that it will help others understand the "process" that is tuning.

Many thing they'll just jump in and while some do, many fail. And when I say fail I mean they fail HARD...ie they look at 400 parameter & simply can't make sense of any of it and either throw their hardware in a box & forget about it or end up selling it. There really is no quick way to learn without ponying up some serious cash for at home books, training courses, etc. If you plan on doing it yourself & without anyones help you need to cut your teeth somewhere & the R&D work will be on you. Questions like what timing is best on xx combination are going to get answers from 22*-30* of timing so in the end sometimes its just best to find out what works FOR YOU & what doesn't rather than relying on others. GM's tune really is a starter tune so you start from there & adjust parameters within reason.

Anywayz that was my soap box & Im done

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by oscaletrains
    The idea that new people are coming here asking questions that no one wants to take the time to answer because of the perception that they should just be reading for however long it takes in order to find out the answers for themselves and that they are just a bother because of it will drive prospective purchasers away in droves. Making new users feel like dirt and afraid to ask for help before they experiment their way into trouble using the product won't help future sales...
    The question is how do you distinguish between the people that genuinely want to learn how to do it and those that just want someone else to do it for them. Lets face it, we are in an 'I want it now, and I don't car how' generation and when some of these guys get hammered with the same 'can someone do this for me' or 'how do I do that' question over and over again, I can see how they get frustrated.

That being said, those that do get frustrated and lash out, will have a negative impact here and with HP Tuners in general. It's a guilt by association, and there is no getting around that.

I think both sides could do with a little more patience over all. The new guys couldn't hurt from doing some research, and the more experienced guys could take a sec and remember that everyone has to start somewhere.

Everyone had good days and bad days. Welcome to life.
    89 Camaro RS Vert
    03 Silverado 5.3