Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for 05-06 GTO GURU'S

Looking for 05-06 GTO GURU'S

I'm ordering my copy of HPtuners tonight. I'm just starting to mod the car now, so far 3.91 gears, cai, 160 t-stat, iat relocate. I'll have LT's , catless mids, h-pipe and dual 3" to flowmaster 40's by the time I get the software. Later I plan to do heads cam and intake.

I'm looking for an aggressive tune to run on this basically stock setup. I think I can figure out the gear correction and turning the fans on, cags and the like. Can you turn off the rear 02 sensors on the LS2?

I plan on logging the car for a 15 minute run to check how far it is off, before changing anything.

Any help would be great.
    Goats favorite meal, rice and pony!

yes you can turn the rear o2's off....

as for the tune, thats all your car specific... each car likes its own timing, own ve/maf dialed its way, and PE is even more specific....

if you wanted a canned tune sent to ya, you could have bought a Diablo Sport...

you bought HPTuners instead, so welcome to the big boy crowd... time to put on y'er thinking cap...

start in the stickies first under the gen 3 and gen 4 sections, and hit the search button next....

by the time your done there... you'll begin to have a vague concept, of the theory of the idea of what you want to do...

I guess logging the stock tune and looking for shortfalls is a good place to start. Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by goatkart
    yes you can turn the rear o2's off....

as for the tune, thats all your car specific... each car likes its own timing, own ve/maf dialed its way, and PE is even more specific....

if you wanted a canned tune sent to ya, you could have bought a Diablo Sport...

you bought HPTuners instead, so welcome to the big boy crowd... time to put on y'er thinking cap...

start in the stickies first under the gen 3 and gen 4 sections, and hit the search button next....

by the time your done there... you'll begin to have a vague concept, of the theory of the idea of what you want to do...

Advanced Tuner
    Did you order the pro with the wideband option os the standard version?

Some of it is simple, but some things like the fans are not a simple adjust the temp and they turn on deal. The LS2 uses a pulse modulated fan setup, you basically tell it how much of % of full speed to run and for how long. That will be easy to find the info and fix.

You will spend lots of time setting u the tranny profile for sure, even more time tuning the VE and MAF tables, then once those are spot on the next step will be the WOT tables (PE tables) which is where your WOT gains will be from.

Thanks for the info. I have a 6 speed trans, so the settings are Skip shift I believe. VE and MAF I need to learn and the PE tables. Timing and fuel trims as well. Once I get my software, Is there anyone here that would care to look at my stock tune and offer suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
    Did you order the pro with the wideband option os the standard version?

Some of it is simple, but some things like the fans are not a simple adjust the temp and they turn on deal. The LS2 uses a pulse modulated fan setup, you basically tell it how much of % of full speed to run and for how long. That will be easy to find the info and fix.

You will spend lots of time setting u the tranny profile for sure, even more time tuning the VE and MAF tables, then once those are spot on the next step will be the WOT tables (PE tables) which is where your WOT gains will be from.

Advanced Tuner
    The Timing Map On The Gto Is Pretty Agressive Already, You Might Be Able To Add Some Timing But Not Much. Your Biggest Gain Will Be In Desensitizing The Iat Map, From The Factory The Gto Starts To Pull Timing At 86° And By The Time It Reads 124° It Has Pulled Almost 6° If Timing.

Fuel Trims Will Be Fixed When You Tune The Ve And Maf Tables, You Will Have To Build A Sd Tune And Upload It And Runs Lots Of Logs To Fix The Ve And Maf Table, Ve First. Then Once Those Are Spot On Then You Can Tune The Pe (wot) Tables.

Did You Get The Pro Option With Wideband? If You Didnt Get The Wideband Option You Will Need To Use A Dyno To Tune The Pe Tables, They Are Not Something You Want To Mess With If You Cant See The Actual Air Fuel Readings.

Wonder if I can order that seperatly.

The Timing Map On The Gto Is Pretty Agressive Already, You Might Be Able To Add Some Timing But Not Much. Your Biggest Gain Will Be In Desensitizing The Iat Map, From The Factory The Gto Starts To Pull Timing At 86° And By The Time It Reads 124° It Has Pulled Almost 6° If Timing.

Fuel Trims Will Be Fixed When You Tune The Ve And Maf Tables, You Will Have To Build A Sd Tune And Upload It And Runs Lots Of Logs To Fix The Ve And Maf Table, Ve First. Then Once Those Are Spot On Then You Can Tune The Pe (wot) Tables.

Did You Get The Pro Option With Wideband? If You Didnt Get The Wideband Option You Will Need To Use A Dyno To Tune The Pe Tables, They Are Not Something You Want To Mess With If You Cant See The Actual Air Fuel Readings.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah you can, but it is cheaper to order the pro version when you place the order.

It is only like $125 more pro at the time of order, it is $259 to upgrade after you purchase the standard version.

I contacted them to see if I can upgrade now since they have not shipped it yet. I found the AEM wideband controller/sensor on summitracing for $346.00

Where is the best place to mount the sensor, maybe in the middle of my h-pipe or just on a header collector?

Yeah you can, but it is cheaper to order the pro version when you place the order.

It is only like $125 more pro at the time of order, it is $259 to upgrade after you purchase the standard version.

I switched orders to the Pro version, should be here next week. I'm ordering my wideband and controller tonight. Still wondering where the best place to mount the 02 sensor?

Quote Originally Posted by chiefgoat
    I contacted them to see if I can upgrade now since they have not shipped it yet. I found the AEM wideband controller/sensor on summitracing for $346.00

Where is the best place to mount the sensor, maybe in the middle of my h-pipe or just on a header collector?

Still wondering where the best place to mount the 02 sensor?
    Install the wideband in place of the stock RF O2 sensor.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Install the wideband in place of the stock RF O2 sensor.

Russ Kemp

Which one is the RF? Newbie here..

Passenger side front (closest to the engine)

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Passenger side front (closest to the engine)

Russ Kemp
    So I would need to disable the left front factory 02? I think this wideband comes with its own harness? I guees I'm not picturing how this all comes together?

Advanced Tuner
    So I would need to disable the left front factory 02? I think this wideband comes with its own harness? I guees I'm not picturing how this all comes together?
    Yes. Put the car in open loop when you put the wideband sensor in place of the stock narrowband. Then do all of your tuning in open loop.

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a hot tune or two for a stock LS2 GTO for you to view. Obviously, do not just upload this tune to your car. Use the Compare feature in the software to see what has changed verses your stock tune and then make changes to your stock tune. The first thing you should do when you get your HPT hooked up is to download your stock tune and save it in multiple places. You don't want to lose it.
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter70
    Yes. Put the car in open loop when you put the wideband sensor in place of the stock narrowband. Then do all of your tuning in open loop.

Send me your e-mail address and I'll send you a hot tune or two for a stock LS2 GTO for you to view. Obviously, do not just upload this tune to your car. Use the Compare feature in the software to see what has changed verses your stock tune and then make changes to your stock tune. The first thing you should do when you get your HPT hooked up is to download your stock tune and save it in multiple places. You don't want to lose it.
    Ok, I saved the stock tune to my laptop and 2 seperate thumb drives.

I did dome tuning tonight, such as cags, fans, torque managment. I'll PM you my email. Thanks.

Just made the switch from the PLX AFR (used this for ~ 2 yrs) to the NGK powerdex (roughly $325 shipped from summitt). IMO, the NGK is a superior product.
    Flea
    --------------
    2006 GTO
    Kooks LTs, NGK WB
    12.96 @109.12

Senior Tuner
    From The Factory The Gto Starts To Pull Timing At 86° And By The Time It Reads 124° It Has Pulled Almost 6° If Timing.
    BTW, take a look at the factory IAT table again. It actually starts pulling *before* 86 degrees. The pcm "interpolates" between cells.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by flea
    Just made the switch from the PLX AFR (used this for ~ 2 yrs) to the NGK powerdex (roughly $325 shipped from summitt). IMO, the NGK is a superior product.
    Hey, just curious, but did you read this post?

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...257#post123257

I'm not saying I believe in that test linked from there. As a matter of fact, the testing methods used are highly left to be desired, IMPO. Post #14 has good info about the crappy test conditions.
    Last edited by RWTD; 04-04-2008 at 01:19 PM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Well, I gutted my cats, installed an h-pipe in place of the resonator and had 2 spintech mufflers installed. I think it may have actually decreased the performance. I have basically a Diablo tune in it now. Anyone care to take a look at a scan and my tune and offer suggestions or tweak it. I'm kinda of at a loss as to what to adjust. I didn't get the wideband yet.