Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: 6.0, 6.4 and 7.3L VCM suite coming

You guys ever work on this? Or is the 7.3 a no go at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrich0908 View Post
    You guys ever work on this? Or is the 7.3 a no go at this point.
    Support is still planned, but the current hardware does not work well with the Ford EEC hardware.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    Support is still planned, but the current hardware does not work well with the Ford EEC hardware.
    Eric, glad to see you are still actively thinking about the 7.3, even though it may be an afterthought or a side project that doesn't get much time given to it. I have people bugging me all the time about doing 7.3 stuff, personally I think they are just a 444ci brick, I prefer the 6.0 but people love those old unkillable 7.3s, I use the heck out of the scanner, saved me from spending thousands on a high dollar scanner to log what vehicles do. I guess trying to work with the 7.3 with the current hardware is like trying to plug a computer from an F-35 into an OBD-1 port? XD I'll just keep scanning the gossip for your updates about 6.0 and 7.3 things.
    "Negative GhostRider the pattern is full"

2006 Amarillo 6.0 PSD ccsb SuperDuty
    1987 IROC-Z Camaro--currently undergoing massive but slow build

Tuner in Training
    I would think the 7.3 would be the easy one to tune with HP tuners...very little TM...give it fuel...boost....timing....let it eat! hahahaha no VGT....it doesn't care about temps.... it has a wastegate..... I would love to tune one with HP

Advanced Tuner RandomEnthusiast's Avatar
    The issue with the 7.3l is it's eecv which is antiquated and old and yes it can be flashed but ohh god is it slow. I have played with someones sctx3 and 20 minutes flashes are annoying. The ts 6 position or the 17 position hydra or the moates is the way to go. Switch on the fly and much less hassle. Would it be cool and would people use it. Yes. But it's an old platform with most people wanting to tune them have already got a ts or hydra.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomEnthusiast View Post
    The issue with the 7.3l is it's eecv which is antiquated and old and yes it can be flashed but ohh god is it slow. I have played with someones sctx3 and 20 minutes flashes are annoying. The ts 6 position or the 17 position hydra or the moates is the way to go. Switch on the fly and much less hassle. Would it be cool and would people use it. Yes. But it's an old platform with most people wanting to tune them have already got a ts or hydra.
    I would honestly just like more parameters to be supported on the scanner so I can data log, and be able to read and open tunes to see whats really different with handheld tuners tunes.
    "Negative GhostRider the pattern is full"

2006 Amarillo 6.0 PSD ccsb SuperDuty
    1987 IROC-Z Camaro--currently undergoing massive but slow build

Quote Originally Posted by GhostRider117 View Post
    I would honestly just like more parameters to be supported on the scanner so I can data log, and be able to read and open tunes to see whats really different with handheld tuners tunes.
    I could not agree more.

I love HPTuners, it is a fantastic tool. I own a 7.3 I bought it three years ago. One of my deciding factors with pulling the trigger on the purchase was the future support that was promised by HPTuners.

I NEED a scanner for my truck, and don't want to drop another $400 on a different scanner. I have been putting the purchase off for several years at this point waiting for the support to come from HPTuners.

If you guys aren't going to be supporting these vehicles please let me know so I can grab a scanner for this rig.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    This would be awesome. With new diesels costing $70k+, packed with unremovable emissions, the 6.0 6.4 not as reliable without all the upgrades, the 7.3 is still relevant.

Any 7.3 support yet with the new MPVI 2?

how about an option to just import stock calibrations to be modified with hp software(since people like the interface) and loaded onto a ts or hydro chip? a TS chip burner is like 300bux if i remember correctly, so hp could still license by chip or cal number, or sell the base cals to each "vehicle" ..... but MINATOUR software already does all of this, so as i would like to be able to adjust maps in HP software, Minatour works for now... best we can do is hope..

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong but HPTuners locks to the files via vin or ECM S/N the 7.3 doesn't have the ECM S/N in the hex and the trucks don't give a shit what vin number is in them so you could easily change it with any IDS or in hex to be whatever it needs to be. I haven't found a ECM S/N in any of the hex that I've noticed. Minotaur/Bill makes his money off of definitions not off a per flash basis. You can flash thousands of trucks with with the exact same file. There is a price per Definition file. I don't see HPTuners ever supporting the 7.3 as they can't lock down any of their work to make it pay for 100$ per truck. Even if they did why the hell would any smart tuner out there pay to go this route when they can tune thousands of 7.3 trucks with only a $250 definition file that bill supplies or finding the needed tables in Hex yourself and mapping them out. There isn't much to the 7.3. I don't foresee HP pursuing this path. They can correct me as I may easily be wrong! Maybe they would only support it with a stream style license but ROI would be minimal for the work they would have into it. They would be way better off pursuing newer platforms like the 3.0 Powerstroke, Nissan Titan Cummins, and Ram EcoDiesel. If they could make the EcoDiesel tunable via OBD2 similar to how they did with the L5P that would be huge I believe.

That?s what I?m saying, it doesn?t make sense for them financially to do anything with the 7.3... and as far as the ecodiesel, so far it?s bosch tricore...split the ecm and read and write, it?s pretty simple, and no need for licensing anything, just hex and reflash, I could see obd read in the future, but it?ll be like the Edc16?s, it won?t be a true full read and write

Quote Originally Posted by crash01 View Post
    That?s what I?m saying, it doesn?t make sense for them financially to do anything with the 7.3... and as far as the ecodiesel, so far it?s bosch tricore...split the ecm and read and write, it?s pretty simple, and no need for licensing anything, just hex and reflash, I could see obd read in the future, but it?ll be like the Edc16?s, it won?t be a true full read and write
    So for several vehicles on Ford and dodge I honestly have a Excel spreadsheet for different ECMs and I find a file that has similar maps in size and copy and paste transposed if needed then copy back over to the other software after I've edited what is needed. Even have done it on files where a map is bigger then mine and just 0 all other values for easy on the eye and rescaled axis to match for reference. This way you can still use the software or calculators or whatever but import and export on a per map basis. I have even done this with like Win OLS and EFI Live solely for the calculator and just made everything match so my outcome would be happy. There are only a few maps to mess with in 7.3s so this might be a viable option for you to use hp software if you just like the user friendly interface over Minotaur. I agree Minotaur is very lacking on the user friendly side but it is still very functional for the amount of changed data needed for tuning them. Once you have base files setup copy and paste is your best friend with some minor adjustments here and there.

Great minds think alike, I have been using efi live tables for years simply for the calculators and other options, I just like the idea of a not so clustered laptop screen...

That's why you get 2 big screens that you can again split to make 4 screens hahaha