Thread: Licensing for OS change

Potential Tuner

Licensing for OS change

I have a 2005 GMC Canyon with a 3.5 I5 which I am having a 6.0 LS2 swapped into. The shop performing the swap plans to flash the existing PCM using Diablo with an LS2 OS (maybe it will look like a TBSS?).

However, I'd like to use VCM Suite, but my question is this, would I have to license the 3.5 and license a 6.0 in order to flash the OS from one to the other, and then sacrifice the credits used on the 3.5 I5 forever, never to be used again, never again to get any value from them?

If not, having spent the credits on the 6.0 which is what I'd be able to continue using them for, can I at least get the credits for the 3.5 freed up to use for something else? Being that the vehicle they would be assigned to wouldn't exist anymore immediately after the reflash?

I know the credits FAQ says credits are permanent, but it wouldn't make any sense at all to me in this admittedly very specialized, rare case where the vehicle would be in effect double licensed.

Thanks.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    LS2's use a completely different pcm then an 05 Canyon would have so the flashes would NOT be compatible in any way/shape or form.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the quick response, besides needing to re-evaluate whether these guys have any idea what they're talking about or not, I'm still wondering whether I would have to throw away credits if I license the truck as is right now, or is the only way to not throw away the credits to not license now, but license after the 6.0 is in?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    I would first figure out what pcm you are definitely using as the p12 pcm in your vehicle I don't believe was ever used in any LS2 applications so making it work may be a challenge.

Potential Tuner
    Is the license tied to the PCM then? So if I end up with a different PCM, I'll have to throw away the credits used to license the current one? Or could we still possibly work something out if I end up with a different PCM but program it with the truck's VIN?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Single vcm licenses are not interchangable, nor can you have a vin number associated with an operating system GM never associated with it.

-Bill

Potential Tuner
    What is the solution then? Am I SOL wanting to use HP Tuners?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Figure out which pcm you are wanting to use first, then license it & tune away.

Even if your not sure which one to use you could license both & still have enough credits to license up to 2 more with your initial purchase.

Potential Tuner
    Actually, since I'm going to use all the included credits at a minimum (4 vehicles), the way I look at it is for $499 I'm buying 8 credits at $50 each, plus the software and interface for $99.

But I still don't have an answer to my original question, how does licensing around an OS change work? It's starting to sound like even if I license the original PCM right now, then I change PCMs for the swap, I have to license that one as well, but then do I also have to license a third single vehicle in order to change the OS on that one to better suit my application? Just how many credits am I going to have to throw away to get this done, if I even can get this done? Will I have to license model/years or entire generations to get it done?

It's all very unclear and getting less clear

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Figure out which pcm you are going to use first, that will make it much easier to determine the rest. If you do it this way you will probably only need to use 2 credits.

If your using multiple pcm's you'll need licenses for each.

Here's what I would do:
    Pick your PCM first. E38/E67/E40/LS1 whatever.
    Take the PCM and have a file flashed into it with a Tech2 that is compatible with your truck & the engine at hand.
    Read the PCM and save that as your go-by. Save it on the internet somewhere as a backup and on a thumb drive too. Can't be too careful with the stock file...
    Modify and save as a new file.
    Write to the truck.
    Enjoy 6.0L power in a light truck.
    Always Support Our Troops!