Thread: Air pump relay control

Potential Tuner

Air pump relay control

Does anyone know what triggers the AIR Pump to turn on and off. Is it on a rpm table?

Potential Tuner

Re: Air pump relay control

Hi Folks
    How do I turn off the air pump? When I used the WBO2 sensor, they claim that the air pump adds air (which I understand) and lean out the AFR. So I have to turn it off.
    Thanks
    Bill

Tuner in Training

In my Camaro, the air pump is only on during the first 70 seconds from startup....given some conditions....it there one on other perhaps later models that can run at any time during the drive?

Garry
    04 Adventra 14.6@96
    06 SS Thunder Ute....tuning started.

Advanced Tuner

Theres really no reason to mess with it, unless you delete your cats, in which case you should just delete the whole system and delete the codes. It lowers emmissions at startup by injecting air into the exhaust, it doesn't cost you any horsepower, and then entire system probably only weighs a few pounds. The only thing nice about removing it is getting those tubes out of the way.
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6: SLP Lid, Adj. Panhard, SFCs, CAGS!, Hotcam, Hooker Shorties, Katech Tensioner, Catback with Dynomax 17221 3\" Muffler, Mobil-1, Bosch +4s, 160 Stat, !EGR, !MAFless, !FRA, S3 TB

Quote Originally Posted by hotfoot
    Hi Folks
    How do I turn off the air pump? When I used the WBO2 sensor, they claim that the air pump adds air (which I understand) and lean out the AFR. So I have to turn it off.
    Thanks
    Bill
    You can disable it by rasing the min temp to something rediculous like 270*. Then it will never come on.

But like AnotherUser said it only runs when you first start the car and only for a little bit so it won't affect you once you're ready to starting logging A/F ratio.
    -Michael Rudolph-
    2003 Redfire Cobra
    Eaton Powered to a:
    11.301 @ 129 1.68 60' MT DRs
    11.85 @ 124 1.90 60' street tires