Thread: After market Air filters

Advanced Tuner

After market Air filters

Hi all, here is some info from General Motors

The installation of an aftermarket reusable, oiled air filter may result in:
    Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On
    Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)
    Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range
    The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.

When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with a OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.

Transmission or engine driveability concerns that are the result of the installation of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

Whats it mean? Take out your K&N filter before going to the dealer, or better yet just clean the Mass air flow sensor yourself, just use spray type brake and parts cleaner.
    There is no replacement for displacement?&&sure there is, its called a Blower!

Tuner

Re: After market Air filters

I think the important bit is "excessively oiled". I've seen the result of an excessively oiled K&N filter - a film of a gritty black substance across the MAF, coating the inside of the MAF pipe and TB, and some problems with pinging. I found this on my own car... after the MAF fell off the Airbox... a week after a dealer mechanic ineptly re-oiled my filter.

>

The problem is how will your dealer define excessively oiled? Any after market filter if you are making a warrantee claim? Adds uncertainty.

yet another reason to ditch the MAF :P

I count sheep in hex...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    yet another reason to ditch the MAF :P
    Now I'll buy that! Anyone have a binary for a stock 03 C5 LS1 without a MAF sensor in the equation?
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Tuner in Training

This only applies to excessively oiled K&N filters. The oil used in the Holley Powershot filters is MAF safe. Even so, you shouldn't over-oil it, but if you do, it won't kill your MAF.

And yes, you *can* use Holley oil on a K&N filter. It will just be blue instead of red.

Senior Tuner

What makes an oil "MAF safe"?

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyblue
    What makes an oil "MAF safe"?

Beats me. ??? I'm just going by what K&N and Holley tell us.

I bet it's ultra-sticky and not prone to get sucked off the media...

I've been considering using my dirt bike filter stuff on my cotton-gauze filter. The dirt bike stuff is like liquid crazy glue. Put some on your hands, rub them together, and you can pull 5' spider webs between your hands. It's nasty. The only stuff that can take it off is a the releasing agent made for it, or gasoline (or maybe a few other 'not recommended' solvents).
    \'04 Silverado SS. (6.0L, 10:1, 4.10\'s) Dynatech headers and cats, B&B cat-back, plugs + wires, VHP 210/218 .531/.531 112, VHP 1.89 rockers (.562\").