Thread: V6 Maf tuning

Senior Tuner

Talking V6 Maf tuning

Just wanted to throw out there that I think that the V6's(mines a 3400) need to be non-pe tuned with the factory nb's. I used the WB to tune the lower reigon of the MAF and could only get within a couple of %. Fought with this all year. Last week I tuned using the LTFT/STFT method andd finally got that elusive 0% trims
    Then, day before yesterday, I reinstalled my WB and started with the PE again. My MAF scale no longer has a dip between cruise and PE and, here is the kicker, I went from a peak torque of 190 to 218!!!! Now keep in mind that those are #'s reported by the scaner, NOT ON A DYNO. But, there is definately a huge improvement there, I can really feel the difference in PE.
    When I tuned with the WB it left a strange dip in the 6000-6500 range on the MAF table. Now my MAF is a nice steady rise into PE and I'm sure this has a lot to do with my results.
    Just an FYI....

Tuner
    Nice work.
    It's interesting that you say that because my wife has a 2000 Pontiac Montana with the 3400 and I have to say that it really blows me away with its torque curve. It just pulls really strong as the rpm's climb. you can feel it like its progressive.

I see that HPT has the 2000 Montana and I have debated on weather or not I want to throw away 2 credits to see the tune in it.

I'm not sure if I'm at a point in my tuning abilities that I'd be able to learn anything from it... yet...

I learned something from tuning MAF too. if it idles ok, just leave that part and start arond 2800~3000 hz and tune up from there. Of course I only know what I learned from Russ.

I'd like to know how to successfully do it both ways but I just don't have any comfort in the range of the stock O2 sensors. maybe its because I don't know any better.

Can you post the procedure you used? I'd love to give it a go.

I also own a 2000 C5 FRC that I have the sigle vehicle liscense but I've never considered touching it. The guy that tuned it here in Phoenix is pretty much the best LS powerplant tuner locally IMHO. I haven't really learned anything from looking at that tune.

I also admittt that I haven't tried the LS powerplant tuning either.
    Some day I'll get to it.

Later,
    Best 60' = 1.716
    Best ET = 12.186
    Best MPH = 112.98

Senior Tuner
    You can scan the Montana and see if you think it could use a tune! Don't need to burn credits to view any car. Have a look at your fuel trims and KR and see what you think. Might be worth the trans tables all on it's own. Look at Russk's write up on tuning the V6's the only difference was to tune the MAF from 2800 to 7500 with the NB(set up a histo that adds LTFT to the STFT and plot it against the MAF) then the WB from 7500 to 9000(as high as I hit being NA)
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...64&postcount=1

I'll bet you find as much as 10* KR in some places
    Last edited by MMGT1; 04-04-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Makes sense to me.. Tune with the wb only to have the car using the NB for fuel trims when you are done.. You would be very lucky to have a tune finished with the wideband that resulted in fuel trims the same as the NB.

Personally, I dont have a WB yet.. I tune the NB as far as I can go at 14.7:1.. Later, I do want a WB to tune PE (but not via the MAF) at higher output.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Tuner
    Ok, I used the OLMAF tune technic from Russ and nailed it. Actually I have a good working "BKM", Best Known Methode.. and don't have LTFT or STFT problems.

Just for kicks I looked at the program for my Vette and holy crap, bunchs of stuff in there.
    I did see some tricks from the guy that did the tune, he's a pretty clever dude.
    I guess that means I'm getting to a point that I can learn from other tunes.

Later,
    Best 60' = 1.716
    Best ET = 12.186
    Best MPH = 112.98

Are you talking about Russ K's open loop tuning you did? And you used a nb sensor to do this? Any write up's anywhere? Let me know I have been searching but Im a little new to this.

Senior Tuner
    What is going on here is this......

Use Russk's method from 7500hz up(Open loop w/ wideband), and the LTFT+STFT(Closed Loop w/ NB) to tune below 7500hz. The V6's will always look to the NB before entering PE. When you use a WB to tune the lower regions it seems that the narrow will be out a couple of % when you go closed loop again, and as we know it will carry that adjustment, be it + or -, through the PE range of your run. Once you have tuned the lower and upper there will be a bit of a dip or rise between the two, manually "smooth" the transition and fueling is done.
    Last edited by MMGT1; 05-06-2008 at 01:01 PM.

Hey MMGT1, I am very new to this so you are going to have to take it easy on me. I have read numerous times the open loop maf tuning, and I understand it alright. I dont understand your method with the LT/STFT's and how to set up the histogram exactly. Could you explain/direct me to an explaination of how to do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Lastyear4gt
    Hey MMGT1, I am very new to this so you are going to have to take it easy on me. I have read numerous times the open loop maf tuning, and I understand it alright. I dont understand your method with the LT/STFT's and how to set up the histogram exactly. Could you explain/direct me to an explaination of how to do this?
    X2
    Engine
    2004 GTP, 1.9 Rockers, 3" Catless DP, 3.5 MPS, 180* t-stat, AL104's, FWI, HPT (pro) . LS1M scanner.

Wideband way for noobs:
    http://www.turbofirebird.com/Tuning/...3/Default.aspx

NB is similar , use the fuel trims instead. The trick is that you have to lock at 0 for PE mode and you will be alright.
    www.turbofirebird.com tuned with HPT MPVI Pro, LC-1.

ty!
    I'll give it a go this weekend, and post up results.
    Engine
    2004 GTP, 1.9 Rockers, 3" Catless DP, 3.5 MPS, 180* t-stat, AL104's, FWI, HPT (pro) . LS1M scanner.

Tuner in Training Doch Fiero 3.4's Avatar
    Hi everyone,

Question i have a 3.4 LQ1 engine from a montecarlo 1997 in my fiero with the manual transmission deleted the cat and back O2 sensor (here in the Netherlands if the car is older than 1990 and is imported from the USA you don't have to use the cat,even if you put in a new engine)thats wat they told me,i installed a LC-1 wide band with a XD-16 gauge and got the MPVI Pro Interface.

When i drive the car and not press the peddle to hard ,the car drive nice but when i press the peddle hard the engine is just don't want to go it's holding back.and i get a P0507 DTC idle speed high

Since i got the interface 1 month and everything is new for me i just read posts try to understand things, and find this post

will this work for me.Hope you can help me out with this
    PS i can make a scan but what do i need to put in chart display.

now i got: the preset from iGoRa

rpm.speed. maf (lb/min).maf (Hz).wb lc1 (afr).afr Cmnd (afr)
    Kr(*). advance(*).tps(%).inj b1 (msec).o2 b1s1(mv).map (kpa)
    o2 b2s1 (mv).ltft b1(%).stft b1(%).ltft b2(%).stft b2(%).

Quote Originally Posted by iGoRa View Post
    Wideband way for noobs:
    http://www.turbofirebird.com/Tuning/...3/Default.aspx

NB is similar , use the fuel trims instead. The trick is that you have to lock at 0 for PE mode and you will be alright.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMGT1 View Post
    You can scan the Montana and see if you think it could use a tune! Don't need to burn credits to view any car. Have a look at your fuel trims and KR and see what you think. Might be worth the trans tables all on it's own. Look at Russk's write up on tuning the V6's the only difference was to tune the MAF from 2800 to 7500 with the NB(set up a histo that adds LTFT to the STFT and plot it against the MAF) then the WB from 7500 to 9000(as high as I hit being NA)
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...64&postcount=1

I'll bet you find as much as 10* KR in some places
    a noob from the Netherlands
    Doch Fiero 3.4.Dohc Fiero 3.4
    Pontiac Fiero 1987 GT engine swap montecarlo 3.4 LQ1 1997 the engine is stock,cold air aintake,disabled egr,deleted automatic gearbox used a 5 speed manual getrag,deletet cat and NB O2 sensors deleted using LC-1 wideband with the XD 16 gauge
    thing that i'm good @ http://www.slide.com/r/FiBEY-407z_ES...t_embedded_url

Here is the scan
    Everything is on the engine is stock,only put in a cold air intake and i deleted the egr from the engine with the dtc's

hope someone can help me with this

Best regards
    Daniel
    Pontiac Fiero 1987 GT engine swap montecarlo 3.4 LQ1 1997 the engine is stock,cold air aintake,disabled egr,deleted automatic gearbox used a 5 speed manual getrag,deletet cat and NB O2 sensors deleted using LC-1 wideband with the XD 16 gauge

hoping to get a answer from someone
    Last edited by Doch Fiero 3.4; 06-24-2009 at 04:00 PM. Reason: ABC

Tuner in Training
    i am also having some wot problems to.... my scan log is under 3400 beretta 5 speed. i could use help to from anyone that can do it?

Please help us....men i had hoped to get some info regarding the basics of the VCMPRO tuner about how to do it and way it's is done,

now i got a tuner and can turn DTC OFF and ON whoehooo its a lot of money just using it for that.

I just want to fine tune the car and with no helping file's to work with i need all the help i can get

Tuner in Training
    the shop where i take my beretta.he owns hp tuner pro. i have had the motor in for a year without a good tune lol...i will pay i dont care i just want it to run the way it should at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by howard stren View Post
    the shop where i take my beretta.he owns hp tuner pro. i have had the motor in for a year without a good tune lol...i will pay i dont care i just want it to run the way it should at this point.
    Hahahahhaha but what will you learn from it,
    And are they telling you the things that has bin done,telling you how or what and wy?? I hope

but your car will run

Me i will find my answers here some day,i got the car 7 years and working on it the last 6 years.what difference will it make if an other year(s) go bay so i will stay on every thread regarding the V6,look around.

Tuner in Training
    its not that i dont want to learn this is my everyday car.so i need to get it done if it kills me...and want to build the motor more already haha!
    Last edited by howard stren; 06-25-2009 at 09:17 AM.