Thread: Spring for the O-Ring!!!

Spring for the O-Ring!!!

So after I got done buttoning everything up after my cam and Paxton install I'm nice and happy until the engine oil warms up and I develop a nice ticking from the drivers side head. Using a feeler gauge between the valve tip and rocker I find that #7 intake lifter is not pumping up. So I begin mentally preparing to yank the head and while I'm researching I find that the o-ring from the oil pump to the pickup can be very pesky. If it is not in tip top shape it lets air in with the oil and the #7 lifters are the first to see this airated oil preventing the pump up. So now I don't have to yank the head but I do need to yank:

Blower
    Water pump
    Alternator
    PS Pump
    PS rack (Yay!)
    Pulley
    Timing cover
    Oil pump

All to change out this $5 o-ring (yes, it's a $5 dealer part)

So the moral of the story is "If you remove the oil pump on an LSx engine, replace the o-ring to the pickup regardless of what shape it looks to be in".
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Bill, glad you figured out what it was... Unfortunate but also fortunate that you found it before anything got hurt!
    Always Support Our Troops!

Here is the source of the problem. When you put the oil pump onto the pickup make sure the o-ring is on the pickup tube and not inside the oil pump.

Still working out some bugs but the tuning can now begin.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    That damn o-ring has caused many headaches on LSx motors. It's the "optispark" of the LSx. I had problems with mine when I put together the motor in my Corvette. Glad to hear that you figured it out.
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06