Thread: Finally got my HP Tuner working with my Transmission

Tuner

Fixed the Transmission incorrect gear ratio problem with 3.29 gears.

I can't even remember how many months its been since my HP tuner started collecting dust. Well after getting my Regal's CV joint replaced and with it getting warm out again I decided it was time to pull the tuner out. If any of you guys remember I was having a problem trying to get my replacement PCM that was tuned with a HP tuner to work with my transmission. The SAME settings that were working fine in my DHP tuned pcm would not work for some reason in another PCM. I couldn't tune my DHP tuned PCM because it was locked out from my HP being able to license it.

Below I have pictures of what I had to change from my DHP tuned PCM to the replacement PCM for it to work. If I used the same settings that were in the DHP pcm the transmission would shift extremely hard and give me an "incorrect gear ratio" code.

These are the trans settings that I was using in my DHP tuned PCM which worked perfectly:

For the replacement PCM to work this is what I had to change:

As you can see I had to change the Gear ratio from 3.29 to 3.69 for it to work with my HP tuned PCM. I also had to change the sprocket ratio back from 1.000 to the stock 1.121. For some reason the HP tuner sees this information differently. Normally you take the gear ratio (3.29) X sprocket ratio (1.000) and that = 3.29. However for an HP tuner I was told that it sees the gear ratio 3.69/1.121= 3.29 gear ratio. Odd isn't it? So if anyone has a gear ratio problem with there HP tuner then this is what you have to do.

Notes: I have a Dynotech transmission with the 3.29 gear ratio and stock 225/60/R16 tires. You may need to make changes to your tire size depending on what tire you have.
    Last edited by GeforceXtreme; 04-18-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    2000 Buick Regal GSE Ported Gen III SC with 3.0” Pulley, Northstar TB, ZZP Ported LIM, ZZP Stage III IC, Comp VS Cam, Comp 105 Springs, Viton Valve Seals, 42.5 Injectors, PRJ Gen II Fuel Rails and Racetronix Fuel Pump with HD Harness, TOG Headers with 3” Catted Downpipe, ZZP 3” Dual Stainless Cat-back, Dynotech Stage II Trans, 3.29 Final Drive, 2750 stall converter, GTP Engine Cradle Mounts, Front Motor Mounts Spun 90*, JMB 4” FWI, Autolite 104’s, 180* stat, GMPP Handing Kit, Moog Endlinks.

Tuner in Training
    when you changed gears to 3.29, did you change the reluctor on the diff
    to a 34 tooth or use the factory one ?
    1997 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD
    2000 Chevrolet S10 Supercharged
    2005 GMC Duramax CC
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T Hemi
    1975 Dodge D100 Pro-Street

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by casper
    when you changed gears to 3.29, did you change the reluctor on the diff
    to a 34 tooth or use the factory one ?

Dynotech installed my Stage II Transmission. They changed the gear ratio from the stock 2.93 to 3.29 in the transmission. The only changes they made in my PCM was to change the sprocket ratio from the stock 1.121 to 1.000. However when I went to use the 1.000 settings In my new HP tuned PCM it would not work. I had to change the gear ratio setting in the PCM from 3.29 to 3.69 and the sprocket ratio from 1.000 to 1.121. For some reason the HP tuner sees the information differently and that is the reason why I had to change it completely from what was in my orignal PCM.

I think Dynotech did use a different reluctor however I am unsure at this point. Being they changed the sprocket ratio from the stock 1.121 to 1.000 does that mean they did change the reluctor?

However as of right now the settings in my PCM work great. If you have a problem with your gear ratio with the HP tuner make the changes I said above. And make sure NOT TO SCALE the rest of the data. When I did that my shift points were so so low because it was using a 3.69 gear ratio to calculate.
    Last edited by GeforceXtreme; 04-18-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    2000 Buick Regal GSE Ported Gen III SC with 3.0” Pulley, Northstar TB, ZZP Ported LIM, ZZP Stage III IC, Comp VS Cam, Comp 105 Springs, Viton Valve Seals, 42.5 Injectors, PRJ Gen II Fuel Rails and Racetronix Fuel Pump with HD Harness, TOG Headers with 3” Catted Downpipe, ZZP 3” Dual Stainless Cat-back, Dynotech Stage II Trans, 3.29 Final Drive, 2750 stall converter, GTP Engine Cradle Mounts, Front Motor Mounts Spun 90*, JMB 4” FWI, Autolite 104’s, 180* stat, GMPP Handing Kit, Moog Endlinks.

Tuner in Training
    Unsure at this point what you had going on. Maybe you were having problems because they did not change the reluctor at the diff. I am currently going
    through my trans and changing to 3.29 gears and am also going to change
    the reluctor and see what happens. I will post up what I find .
    1997 Oldsmobile Bravada AWD
    2000 Chevrolet S10 Supercharged
    2005 GMC Duramax CC
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T Hemi
    1975 Dodge D100 Pro-Street

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by casper
    Unsure at this point what you had going on. Maybe you were having problems because they did not change the reluctor at the diff. I am currently going
    through my trans and changing to 3.29 gears and am also going to change
    the reluctor and see what happens. I will post up what I find .
    Well the funny thing is the settings they changed worked fine in my stock PCM that was tuned with a DHP tuner. However as soon as I tried to use my HP tuned on a replacement PCM with the same settings from the DHP tuned PCM the transmission would throw incorrect gear ratio. I just don't understand why the same settings used in one pcm would not work in another? However it works fine once again and I can tune my car now. The DHP tuner screwed up my OS ID # and the HP was unable to license it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeforceXtreme
    Well the funny thing is the settings they changed worked fine in my stock PCM that was tuned with a DHP tuner. However as soon as I tried to use my HP tuned on a replacement PCM with the same settings from the DHP tuned PCM the transmission would throw incorrect gear ratio. I just don't understand why the same settings used in one pcm would not work in another? However it works fine once again and I can tune my car now. The DHP tuner screwed up my OS ID # and the HP was unable to license it.
    You're not the only one that has noticed this.
    I've had this issue as well.