Thread: Rich during Idle after Warm up

Rich during Idle after Warm up

After the car warms up (normally 180 degrees), the car goes rich while Idleing.

At start up the LTFT's are -1.5 then drop to -4 to -5 (on narrow bands) after it warms up and idles. Then I get that lovely rich smell out of the exhaust - though it is not brutal.

The car has heads (Dart pro 205's) & cam (220/228 @ .593), JBA shorties.

The questions I have are:

1) Is adjusting the Idle Airflow vs Coolant vs (Gear/PN) table the main area to concentrate on, in the temp zone at warm up?

and

2) Does the MAF table come into play at all in this area?

Other then Idle - the car runs great. The idle smell is just a minor issue.

Just waiting to get to a muffler shop to install a bung for my NGK WB so I can head to WOT next.

Thanks

steve
    2004 GTO A4

Add in a 2008 G8 GT and a 2009 G8 GT

Yes your MAF tables will come into play on this one. To be honest I don't think that's that rich at idle. Make yourself a histogram that logs MAF airflow vs. frequency referencing your Bank 1 LTFT as a percentage and your AFR commanded as a filter only above 14.6. The difference in percentage is the amount you will want to change in the frequency you are normally seeing at idle. Here's the histogram most people use to monitor this. Also, mke sure you are logging MAF frequency AND airflow.

So basically you look at that table in the histograms and lets say at 2100Hz you are averaging -4.3% in that histogram of MAF Hz vs. g/sec to LTFT. You would go into your MAF table and multiply the airflow at that frequency by .957 to drop it 4.3%. I would start with about .98 (98%) to begin with and work your way from there.
    Last edited by dont_blink; 04-17-2008 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks for the help.

I agree the numbers don't look hugely rich - but once it gets there it starts to smell. So for the sake of being a good neighbor (our houses are only 6 feet apart) it is time to clean up the last item at PT.

Steve
    Last edited by rushhour; 04-17-2008 at 12:08 PM.
    2004 GTO A4

Add in a 2008 G8 GT and a 2009 G8 GT