Thread: Where to start? 2006 LLY.

Tuner in Training

Where to start? 2006 LLY.

I'm tuning a 2006 LLY tomorrow and I'm new to diesel tuning, I'm really wanting to make a good overall tune (power, towing, possible MPG). I don't want to kill the Allison trans, so it needs to be somewhat safe. Any tips will be appreciated, I seen a few tunes from blue turboed1 in the repository for a 2006 truck but I'm not sure if it's an LLY?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    06's were either LLY or LBZ and both used near identical code.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    So an LBZ tune would work in an LLY truck with no problems? Thanks for the help.

An 06 LLY is just a detuned Lbz. Blue turbo does make some good tunes. If you ask him, he did dyno those tunes also.
    2006 LBZ Duramax 4x4 CC SB 2500HD SRW 4x4 LT1 (with extras), Blocked & Fingered, Fumoto drain valve, Keystone Ram Air Good Hood, Banks Ram Air, Access cover & Rhino over the rails, Victory Red.
    33'-0" Dutchman fifthwheel,Tekonsha Voyager Brake Controller

Banks Sixgun with HPTUNERS.

You should look at cooling as well depending on how hard you are going to work it. Keeping that huge fan off is a big improvement. This can be done by sealing the radiator stack, engine oil cooler, etc.

Tuner in Training
    Well I used one of Blueturbo's tunes and everything went well, but now the guys truck is acting funny at 55-60 and the check engine light is on 90% of the time he said. I live almost 3 hours from him so I won't be able to check it out until this Sunday.

Also the fuel mileage dropped almost 3 mpg, Idk what the problem could be but I'm going to start on a real basic tune. (like the 20/20 tow tune from McRat) He said the tune was a little too aggressive for him.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Tan327
    Well I used one of Blueturbo's tunes and everything went well, but now the guys truck is acting funny at 55-60 and the check engine light is on 90% of the time he said. I live almost 3 hours from him so I won't be able to check it out until this Sunday.

Also the fuel mileage dropped almost 3 mpg, Idk what the problem could be but I'm going to start on a real basic tune. (like the 20/20 tow tune from McRat) He said the tune was a little too aggressive for him.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
    Go back to the 20/20 from stock and his life will be better. What I find that works well is to start small and look at the graphical representation for the PW and timing and then bump the numbers to move the graph a little more. That is effectively what the 20% does for you.

If the guy plans on towing heavy, dont load him more than 20%, I wouldnt feel comfortable without EGT gauge pre turbo.