Thread: "vacuum" kpa different than kPa?

Tuner

"vacuum" kpa different than kPa?

I never paid much attention to the IFR tables until the other day, why is the table in vacuum kpa?
    What the hell is "vacuum kPa"?

I though kPa was an absolute measurement??
    2000 EC, SB Z71 03 LQ4, 05 front clip with e-fans, STS turbo, GT67, Blow off valve, 170Kpa, Alkycontrol, 44lbs injectors @ 100% dutycycle, Comp 918's, HPtuner, 02 ECM, Dyno Jet Wideband, Eaton LSD, Speed Engineering 4l80e conversion, 2800 ART CARR stall removed now running stocker . 11.87 @ 114
    New times 11.41 @ 119.. look out 10's here I come.....

Tuner in Training
    (lmfao) Hey buddy!

yes, why is the IFR on returnless fuel systems scaled higher as Kpa (vacum) increases?
    2005 SIERRA [email protected] CLICK PIC FOR MODS

566/613My other ride is a '91 Electraglide custom.

kPa is just a unit of pressure measurement. The values you see in the IFR table are kPa of vacuum (just negative pressure). So 0 kPa is actually WOT and the increasing numbers are increasing manifold vacuum. The injectors flow more when they're under vacuum. The manifold vacuum literally helps suck out the fuel. It works the opposite in an FI application, the inectors flow less when they have to work against the manifold pressure but the table does not account for that.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    Thanks!
    2005 SIERRA [email protected] CLICK PIC FOR MODS

566/613My other ride is a '91 Electraglide custom.

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    kPa is just a unit of pressure measurement. The values you see in the IFR table are kPa of vacuum (just negative pressure). So 0 kPa is actually WOT and the increasing numbers are increasing manifold vacuum. The injectors flow more when they're under vacuum. The manifold vacuum literally helps suck out the fuel. It works the opposite in an FI application, the inectors flow less when they have to work against the manifold pressure but the table does not account for that.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    I understand that, but I want to know what the hell kPa "VACUUM" is, kPa is kPa.
    2000 EC, SB Z71 03 LQ4, 05 front clip with e-fans, STS turbo, GT67, Blow off valve, 170Kpa, Alkycontrol, 44lbs injectors @ 100% dutycycle, Comp 918's, HPtuner, 02 ECM, Dyno Jet Wideband, Eaton LSD, Speed Engineering 4l80e conversion, 2800 ART CARR stall removed now running stocker . 11.87 @ 114

Thats why we run boost ref FPR that increase 1:1 to account for the increase of manifold pressure from boost. (edit: that was strange it split the quote from my post????)
    Last edited by Dozer; 04-20-2008 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
    I understand that, but I want to know what the hell kPa "VACUUM" is, kPa is kPa.
    This is all i could find. Low vacuum is often measured in inches of mercury (inHg), millimeters of mercury (mmHg) or kilopascals (kPa) below atmospheric pressure. "Below atmospheric" means that the absolute pressure is equal to the current atmospheric pressure (e.g. 29.92 inHg) minus the vacuum pressure in the same units. Thus a vacuum of 26 inHg is equivalent to an absolute pressure of 4 inHg (29.92 inHg - 26 inHg).

Quote Originally Posted by Wilde Racing
    You can actually log the Vacuum Kpa PID if you wish. KiloPascal's are simply a measurement of pressure whether that be an absolute value (MAP) or a relative value (Vacuum). HTH
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    You can actually log the Vacuum Kpa PID if you wish. KiloPascal's are simply a measurement of pressure whether that be an absolute value (MAP) or a relative value (Vacuum). HTH
    O.K maybe a better question is why is it relative.. what, never mind I guess you would want it relative.

I just got confused with "kpa" always equaling absolute. but I guess PSI can be both, so why the hell can't kPa...lol

thread delete