Thread: tune vs shift kit ?

Tuner

tune vs shift kit ?

A bubby installed a shiftkit in his car and i said that he could have had the car tuned and had the same effect... true?
    Pontiac Trans Am WS.7 Ram Air -98&&

Tuner

Re: tune vs shift kit ?

I have the same question. Hopefully, someone will chime in and help us out. In other words, if you install, say a 3400 rpm stall 2.1 STR TC, can you tune it instead of installing a shift kit.
    Thanks!
    1998 Z28 Red/Gray HT, A4, 3.23
    |Pacesetter, Hooker ORYP, Aerochamber|TSP Cam, PRC dual valve spring kit, LS2 timing chain|LS6 oil pump,|SLP Air Lid, P&P TB, FRA, TBB|Fuddle 3400 2.1, B&M cooler|GM iridium plugs, Taylor 8 mm|AMW catch can|J&M PHB & LCA's|HPTuners 2.1|HP House & Dyno Shop

Tuner in Training

After having both tuning for increased line pressure, then installing a shift kit, I'm can't see how tuning could effectively ever do what a shift kit does.

The shift kit has you drill a number of holes in the separator plate where transmission fluid flows throughout the case and valve body. In addition, certain valves are replaced. Both of these mechanical changes allow more fluid to flow, at a higher rate, and increase pressure and allow for firmer, quicker shifts.

I don't see how electronically increasing line pressure can overcome the physical limitations of smaller holes and smaller boost valves. I just don't see it happening. Perhaps turning up line pressure can give you a little more advantage than stock, but you would necessarily come up against the physical limitations pretty quickly.
    2003 Chevy Avalanche, LPM, WBH (Naked)&&Radix Blown 5.3L, Flowmaster 70 Single-In, Dual-Out&&McGaughys/Eibach 2/3 Drop, Hotchkis Sways/Trailing Arms&&ASA TRS II\'s + Kumho Ecsta STX 305/50-20\'s

Tuner

What is the result of installing a shift kit? Faster shifts? Harder shifts?

1998 convertible Trans Am
    MODS: A4 > M6 conversion, SC raptor hood, Vortech V9 G-Trim SQ, homemade water-alcohol injection
    DYNO: 410 RWHP, 417 TORQUE @ 5 PSI