Thread: Tuning 2004 GTP

Potential Tuner

Tuning 2004 GTP

New here, but trying to learn everything slowly and take my time. I have been all over the forums, searching and reading up on all of the informative posts, and stickies.

I acquired the update from HPT so I can scan and such now. I found the CPIG Vehicle Tuning Guide on the forums, and was wondering if this is a good guide to follow for my car, or if there is another (better, or different for my case) guide for 3800 owners.

Car: 2004 Grand Prix GTP

I've noticed some of the options that he has, are not available to me, thus why I am asking.

I would like to start on some small stuff and work up, going slowly. Looking at my scans, it seems that I need to work on the LTFTs first, as they seem way off to me. I have attached a scan to help in case you want to see what I mean.

I currently use a DHP PCM, and was wondering if I could just make the slight changes to this, or if anyone has had problems with them? (I do have my original so, If I must go back and do this all myself, it really is no problem, just will take more time).

Here are two scans I have done, I have not gone WOT with any of these two. If you need a WOT run, let me know. Also posting the Original tune from the ECU, and one that I have slightly modified according to the CPIG document with LTFT. I have not flashed anything yet.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can point me in the correct direction, I'm always wanting to learn new things.

Senior Tuner
    Russ K's and Tuning write up on the following link...Great info for using HPT with the V6's

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10615

Advanced Tuner
    I'll have to wait until I get home to look at the scans, but a lot of people who have a DHP pcm just use the transmission and torque management stuff. As in any canned tune, you will be able to do a better job yourself after learning what does what and why. Is your current PCM a DHP 1.0 or did someone flash a 1.5 for you? The 1.5 was a starter file, nothing more, and the 1.0 was a fully (canned) tuned PCM.

Short answer - I would start with the file currently in the car.
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the posts guys. MMGT1, I found that post while doing one of my first searches. Good information, so at the moment I will be using the CPIG document and try to do things slowly.

Eddie, my PCM is currently a 1.0

The DHP is in the car currently. Thanks for taking a look when you get a chance. I will go ahead and make a good backup, try to make some slight changes, and then write it.

Potential Tuner
    I've gone ahead and started to play slightly with the LTFT since they seem very off. I've disabled PE mode by changing the PE Enable TPS all to 100%.

I am a little confused on which way to tune the LTFT though. I have used the CPIG guide, but after a few hour runs and pasting Special - Add, seems to work, the second run and Add, always messes up. I then searched the forums, and found people telling others to use the Paste Special -- Multiply %, so I tried this a few times, and yet, after the second run and Paste Special -- Multiply % the car runs like crap, the graphs seem smooth and everything.

This morning, browsing the forums, I found the post http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14169 that says I should be using the Histogram for LTFT vs. Mass Air Flow Freq. Hz that 5_Liter_Eater posted. (Although for some reason, I cannot Import Histograms, I get an 'Not Available' error. I found a post earlier that possibly 5_liter_Eater walked somebody through to create one).

Is using this new custom histogram the way to do LTFT tuning, I'm just a little confused here. Since I've researched, and have many ways to do this.

I'll attach some screen shots. Currently, I am back to using the standard tune that is attached to the first post. This just shows the histogram with the error message for importing a histogram, also just shows the table I have setup for logging.

Thanks guys.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by zharvek
    I'll attach some screen shots. Currently, I am back to using the standard tune that is attached to the first post. This just shows the histogram with the error message for importing a histogram, also just shows the table I have setup for logging.

Thanks guys.
    sounds like you're running a beta version, please update to 2.22 located on your customer login page.

-Bill
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"