Thread: Knock sensor on Dodge Engines?

Question Knock sensor on Dodge Engines?

Hi!

Do the 5.2/5.9L Dodge Engines have a knock sensor?
    If not, how would you make sure that there's no knock?

Mat
    '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ, 5.2L (Canada Import), 2" Lift
    (CAI, Modded Kegger, Ported TB, 3" Cat-Back, SCT Custom Tune)

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited ZG, 5.9 V8, Stock

'03 Skoda Fabia, 1.4L 16v

'98 Chevrolet Camaro V6, 3.8L, Targa, ZZP GT1 Cam, Dynomax Cat-Back [sold]

nobody?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackZJ
    nobody?
    None of the 5.2 / 5.9 Magnum motors had knock sensors that I know of. High mileage Magnum motors have a high propensity to spark knock, and Chrysler has come out with recalibrations that have a stupid amount of timing removed to eliminate customer complaints about this problem. Unfortunately, this also kills the driveability and leads to poor fuel mileage.

My specialty is tuning JTEC engine controllers, like the one used on your truck. How do I know if there is knock ? I listen for it, and, a lot of times you can tune for MBT before you reach your audiable knock threshold. If you are unclear about these things and don't want to take the time to learn at least the basics, I would sugest having your car tuned by a professional. If you are set on tuning it yourself, I would read, read, and read some more. I would read the factory service manual (if you had, you would not of had to ask about the knock sensor.) I would find and read all the service bullitins pertaining to engine performance. And I would get some good beginner's tunings books, I highly recomend the book written by Greg Banish. And finally, I would read forums, like this one, although I would do that last, just so you are better equiped to filter out some of the good information from the bad.

- Chris

Thanks for your answer!

I've read about MBT before (in the Book of Greg Banish). But I think I need to do some more research and train my ear.

Let me ask another question. You write that your speciality is tuning JTEC controllers. Which Software/Equipment do you use? Unfortunately, HPTuners doesn't support Magnums at the moment.

Mat
    Last edited by BlackZJ; 04-27-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackZJ
    Thanks for your answer!

I've read about MBT before (in the Book of Greg Banish). But I think I need to do some more research and train my ear.

Let me ask another question. You write that your speciality is tuning JTEC controllers. Which Software/Equipment do you use? Unfortunately, HPTuners doesn't support Magnums at the moment.

Mat
    I had to figure out how to read, write, and tune the ecu myself. Tuning software wise , I use a software that is very similar to EVC's WINOLS, but is made to work with my older Racelogic emulator. The problem is, even if you have the software, the emulator, and a way to program the ecu, you will still have to know where and what you want to modify. If you are interested, you can find WINOLS on the internet, they have a free demo version of their software which will give you a better idea of what I'm talking about. If I were you though, I would wait a little longer to see if HP Tuners will support the older JTEC equiped Chrysler vehicles.

- Chris

You're right Chris, WINOLS looks much more complicated. I hope HPTuners will support the JTEC equiped Chrysler vehicles soon.

Tuner in Training
    The Chrysler recalibration removes about 4 degrees of timing as Hexdummy stated.

This is what I found to help.

Another problem with the mag 5.9L motors (that is noticed when using the vechicle like a truck), can actually be traced to the plugs. The stock ones have a very extended reach for quicker warmups (cleans up emmisions) and were prone to help cause spark knock. Try using Autolite 3923(colder) or 3924 for a stock motor. I'm using the 3923's with headers, cam, intake, ported TB and more.
    Last edited by lik2mod; 05-05-2008 at 08:56 AM.