Thread: Changed tire size, now no cruise.

Changed tire size, now no cruise.

I went from the stock 24.6 to a 25.3 tire and when I changed it in HPT I lost my cruise control completely. What's the deal? I even reset the final drive to 3.05 where it was before because I noticed that when I changed to the 25.3, the final drive went to 1.00:1 for some reason. It's not good either because according to the traps at the end of the 1/4 when I'm doing 102 on the speedo in HPT, I'm actually crossing the traps at 109.
    Last edited by dont_blink; 04-30-2008 at 11:36 PM.
    RSG Offroad
    Jeeps. Jeeps. And more Jeeps. Oh and Jeeps too.

Nobody? Nothing?
    RSG Offroad

Come on.
    RSG Offroad

Tuner
    I too have lost my cruise control? Anyone have any ideas?

Kane

Tuner
    So nobody else has had this issue and corrected it?

Tuner in Training
    I've got some slightly larger tires coming too, anyone figure this out yet?

Tuner
    I did some testing and cruise control works up to 45mph then no longer works. So it seems there must be another adjustment that needs to be done if you change the tire size. I will continue to play with but if anyone has some ideas please let me know.

Kane

Tuner
    I am still testing but I am surprised no one has an answer. Chris or Jay???????

Tuner
    Man I am going out of town this weekend and was hoping to use the cruise control. Well I guess worst case I set the tire size back and just adjust my speed.

Kane

Tuner in Training
    still no luck then eh
    2005 Cobalt SS Supercharged
    GM Stage 2
    Injen CAI
    Vibrant Header, DP, and GMPP Sport Exhaust
    Hurst STS

Tuner
    Nope you can not tell me there is no solution. I am going to play with it some more today because I am taking another trip and I would like cruise.

What is everyone else doing? Just dealing with it?

Kane

Changed my tire size from factory tire size (29.6" I think) to 33" mudders (measured 32.5"). Typically not on the highway often but was able to test it a few times. Knock on wood...........I currently still have full use of my cruise control. Anything you want me to look at on my stock or current modified tune?
    Steve

2007 GMC Canyon Z71-4x4 | 3.7 I5-Auto | 4" Skyjacker suspension lift | 3" Performance Accessories body lift | 33x11.5x17 tires (going 35x12.5x17) | 3.73 gears | 57 K&N | BPi VS | AMS EaAU 6081 | SSK MAF Adapter | NGK AFX w/ NTK WBO2 | AMSoil fluids

maybe this info from WopOnTour will help a bit :

The ratio is shown as 1:1 because of the placement of the Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)

In a FWD car it's typically AFTER the final drive reduction and therefore does not affect the Pulses Per Mile setting. On a RWD the sensor is mounted on the transmission BEFORE the final reduction so the the rear axle gear ratio must be taken into account,

AS far as the values used for the tire, you must measure the ROLLING circumference (using the chalk line method) and divide by pi and use that value as your diameter. (do not just measure the diameter with a tape measure)
    Then mutiply THAT by 30 (the number of teeth on the 2004&05 Redline speed sensor reluctor aka Pules Per Rev in HPT) and enter THAT value as your new Pulses Per Mile.

For the Cobalt (or 2006-07Redline) the process is slightly different as you must use a Pulse Per Rev of 85 as the reluctor has 85 teeth.

HTH
    Wop
    my_bd 2004 Saturn Ion Redline - 2.0L Supercharged LSJ (P12) 13.1 @ 110