Thread: Not shifting out of 2nd under hard accel.

Not shifting out of 2nd under hard accel.

I'm thinking this is pcm related since It's a new race-built trans. I was in my 99GTP coming home on the highway with a buddy in a 03 Cobra in the a car next to me. I slow down to about 80mph and gun it! Car drops down to second and pulls away hard. Then I get to about 105 and Im close to redlining but the car starts to slow/plateou. It's not shifting into 3rd and stuck in second.
    My buddy shoots past me and I have to let off the gas, and it finally shifts into 3rd as I let off. It had shifted into 3rd only because the shift tables allowed it to upshift under 0 TPS recovery to what regular normal speed vs gear would be.
    Should I increase line pressure? What's the most pressure we can use?
    Would further adjusting and playing with my TCC values help this?
    I've attached the tune if this helps diagnose the issue.

Thanks,

tranny has 3250 stall, raybestos clutches, LSD, 3.29 gears.
    Last edited by louvered97gtp; 04-30-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: scan attached
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers
    97GTP: Stock engine, 95 GTP Hood louvers

Advanced Tuner
    It takes 3 things for a gear change to occur at WOT

- 95% or more TP pct setting
    - car has to reach your max RPM shift point
    - car has to reach your desired MPH shift point

Check one of these three items in your bin... all 3 have to happen for a gear change to occur. Start with these settings in your bin before blaming hardware.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH
    It takes 3 things for a gear change to occur at WOT

- 95% or more TP pct setting
    - car has to reach your max RPM shift point
    - car has to reach your desired MPH shift point

Check one of these three items in your bin... all 3 have to happen for a gear change to occur. Start with these settings in your bin before blaming hardware.
    I'm not blaming hardware and explicitly stated i believe it's PCM related. My shift mph min. value and my rpm min. value were both met in both the downshift where it performed flawlesly, as well as in the upshift where for some reason it did not perform as commanded. I reached my upshift mph and rpm designators but still didn't shift.
    This is not usual. Typically I don't have a problem, however this one night I did and am wondering why? What was different? Nothing was changed in tune to cause this malfunction. All I can assume is my removed torque management was too much of a strain???? My cluthes were slipping due requiring better trans shift pressure or tcc setting adjustments?
    Edit: see attached image of shift tables to prove my point. I was able to downshift to 2nd, yet the upshift tables commanded at 90-mph for 100% throttle but I hit over 100mph and didn't shift. My commanded rpm desires speed was 6450RPM and I hit 6700RPM. Close to redline like I first mentioned and yet no shift. This can be seen in the file I posted.
    Am I missing something?
    Last edited by louvered97gtp; 05-02-2008 at 03:51 AM.
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers

Advanced Tuner
    You are only showing the main gear/tps/mph table.. I assume you are changing the WOT values/tables to match the 100% TPS value of the table you pictured right?
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Quote Originally Posted by bilemke
    You are only showing the main gear/tps/mph table.. I assume you are changing the WOT values/tables to match the 100% TPS value of the table you pictured right?
    I've changed part throttle shift, full throttle shift speed, and full throttle shift RPM.
    Are you referring to another value/table? these are the onlyl ones I've changed.
    Last edited by louvered97gtp; 05-03-2008 at 03:48 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Ahh, yeah.. Full Throttle Shift speed/rpm.. I assume the full throttle value had been set to match the 100% TPS then.

The engine may simply be spining past the set rpm during the shift. Only way you can help it is to set the shift speed lower to ensure that the happens when desired (taking in to account how far past the ddesired rpm it was going before).
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.