Thread: Maggied 06 Stang, startup issues!

Maggied 06 Stang, startup issues!

Hello all, I currently have an 06 Mustang at our repair shop that is having some issues. It is equipped with a Maggie, shorty headers, CAI, X-pipe w/ Ford racing cat back. This is a customers car and we did none of the install or tuning. The car has what I believe is a canned SCT tune in it for the mods. Now for the problem, this car will intermittently hard start after sitting for an extended period. I have not duplicated the problem but the customer says that it will flood and he has to hold it to the floor to get it started. Also on a cold start I have noticed the idle will jump to about 1200 rpm, hang there for about a second, then jump again to about 2200 stay there for a couple of seconds and slowly work its way down to 1000 rpm. I have checked for codes (none found) and checked all basics, scan data, fuel pressure drop, etc. and nothing stuck out. This is the first Ford that I have looked at and it is totally Greek to me. Looking at the tune it is completely different than the GM's that I am used to. I read the limited info in stickies and they were of little help. If anyone could help me out by looking over the tune and giving me any insight it would be very much appreciated. Attached below is the tune. Thanks in advance!
    01 WS6-M6, PRC Stage 2.5 5.3's, MS4, Kooks 1 3/4", custom built full true duals w/ X-pipe, SLP lid, tuned via HPTuners

Try these changes in your tune above.

Under "OL & CL" > Cranking Fuel > Fuel Cranking vs. ECT: Set anything in the cells 50 degrees and hotter to "1.0"

this may cure the hotstart problem.

Under "OL & CL"> base fuel > Fuel Base Cold:

I think that table is too rich as well and also may be causing your hot start issues.

I would set everything above 45 degrees to "1.0" as well.

Under "OL & CL" >Base Fuel > Enable time: set to 20 secs.

This may be the cause for the idle hanging.

I thinks it's getting into the "base fuel" table too soon.
    Last edited by Fox95; 05-05-2008 at 12:57 PM.
    Roadracing Crew Chief - World Superbike, British Superbike, Moto America.

Last edited by Fox95; 05-05-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Last edited by Fox95; 05-05-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox95
    Sorry about the delayed response, the customer will be returning with the car tomorrow and I will make your recommended changes. Also, I should have elaborated a little more when I stated that it hard starts when letting it sit for an extended period, that is also when it is cold, hot restarts are always real good.

I will make your recommended changes to the Fuel Base Cold and Fuel Cranking vs. ECT tables.

When you say that it is entering the base fuel table to soon, what table is it operating in prior to that, the Fuel Cranking table?

What is used to administer changes to the idle and startup airflow? This thing idles 2000+ for the first 10 seconds that it is running, is that normal? Sorry for the seemingly basic questions, I am definitely a Ford Newb.

Thanks in advance!!
    01 WS6-M6, PRC Stage 2.5 5.3's, MS4, Kooks 1 3/4", custom built full true duals w/ X-pipe, SLP lid, tuned via HPTuners

Also, I should have elaborated a little more when I stated that it hard starts when letting it sit for an extended period, that is also when it is cold, hot restarts are always real good.
    I understood that, and I put hotstart in my reply by mistake....

When you say that it is entering the base fuel table to soon, what table is it operating in prior to that, the Fuel Cranking table?
    It's using the startup afr's in the cold start tables I told you to modify.

I've found some unusual things/methodologies in the magnacharger tune. When I start out from scratch I've had pretty good luck with them for what they are (a roots blower). The MAF does tend to peg on the mustang kits though, with anything more than 6-7psi of boost. You really want to run a cone filter and 88-100mm maf housing instead of that stock airbox with larger lid deal that they have.
    Justin Starkey
    Ford and GM custom tuning
    Mobile Dynojet 224xLC
    www.VMPTuning.com
    2006 F250 CC 6.0L 14.3@92
    2006 Mustang 4.0L Vortech 15psi 395rwhp wife's car
    2000 Mustang 3.8L TT [email protected] 450rwhp