Thread: Help...very new to tuning.

Tuner in Training

Help...very new to tuning.

Installed a 6liter motor in my 2002 Chevy Silverado 4x4. Its an LQ9 shortblock with a 224/224 564/564 110+4 lsa. It has edelbrock heads, compression is about 11 to 1. It also has Delphi Multec 2 Shorty injectors.

Injector info:
    Static flow @ 37.95lb/hr @ 43.5PSI / 300KPa (4.31 g/s = 398cc/min)
    Static flow @ 43.82lb/hr @ 58PSI / 400KPa (4.97 g/s = 460cc/min) *
    Dynamic flow (2.0ms/10.0 ms(pulse width / rep rate)) 6.0 lb/hr @ 43.5PSI (0.748 g/s @ 300KPa)
    Coil Resistance: High Impedance / High-Z (Works with factory computer injector drivers)
    Factory Tollerance: +/-5%

The truck will idle fine but does surge when in gear. It will also stall out when in reverse only. If anyone could give me a hand with my tune file that would be great. I'd really like to learn how to tune better so any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Bryan

Dose this tuck have a return fuel system?

Tuner in Training
    Yes. I also can't figure out why my timing is so crazy at idle. It seems to bounce all over the place. If I am looking at the correct graph.

First you need to set your Injector Flow Rate to 43.82 flat across the table and re-tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Dozer
    First you need to set your Injector Flow Rate to 43.82 flat across the table and re-tune.
    Is that the Flow Rate vs. KPA table? Also, when I retune, do I leave that at 43.82 across?

Yes Flow Rate vs KPA . 43.82 from 0kpa to 80kpa across the table.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, now that I have adjusted the Flow Rate vs. KPA to 43.82 across the board I am not 100% sure where to go from here. Ive been going through the quick start guides and reading the help but I think I am confused. I was going to attempt to adjust Ltrims? Does that sound correct? Im trying to figure out what table to do that in. Any help would be appreciated.

Now you need to wideband tune it.

Yes Flow Rate vs KPA . 43.82 from 0kpa to 80kpa across the table.
    Why would you leave that flat across the table? I thought that table needed to be scaled?

You said "Yes" in post #3 when I asked if you had a return fuel system. Flat for return scaled for non-return.

I think you have me and the original poster confused. Aren't stock fuel systems returns? Why are stock tunes scaled?

Quote Originally Posted by 01WS6
    I think you have me and the original poster confused. Aren't stock fuel systems returns? Why are stock tunes scaled?
    No not all are return. If your stock tune is scaled you have a non return system. Scaled for non return and flat for return. Its mostly trucks of a few years that came with return systems and flat IFR tables stock. Some people upgrade there non return to return with a FPR and then change there IFR from scaled to flat.
    Last edited by Dozer; 05-06-2008 at 05:29 PM.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

Tuner in Training
    No not all are return. If your stock tune is scaled you have a non return system. Scaled for non return and flat for return. Its mostly trucks of a few years that came with return systems and flat IFR tables stock. Some people upgrade there non return to return with a FPR and then change there IFR from scaled to flat.
    I am 99.9% sure I have a return style system. There are two lines coming up from the tank. My table's were scaled with my stock tune.

Should be 3 lines. 1 feed, 1 return and 1 Evap. Best way to tell is at the fuel rail. 1 in 1 out right on top of each other. They meet at the fuel pressure regulator on the drivers side where the crossover fuel line goes over the intake to the pass side fuel rail.