Thread: Newbie to this, few issues - could use direction

Tuner in Training

Newbie to this, few issues - could use direction

Well, I thought I was halfway smart at this stuff, and I have been reading and reading until my brain is full but I still have MILES to go. I have tuned before with Holley engine management and found it pretty simple compared to this stuff. Hopefully Ill have some of it figured out by 2013

Anyhow, engine is 5.3/ car intake/ 98 F-body cam with a turbo, setup with a mail-order 2 bar SD tune. Overall it runs very well. Shows 11.0 on my AEM wideband at WOT and that side of it Im not worried about right now. The two first issues I would like to start ironing out are:

First, on cold starts it wont run on its own for the first minute or so. It runs fine, then the AFR dives off the screen lean and the engine dies unless I put my foot on it. It will go through this cycle 10 times until it will eventually keep itself running. I have to keep giving it gas before it dies to keep it alive.

Second, it runs rich all the time really. at light cruise speeds its off my widebands rich side at 10.0 or below. Sometimes at warm idle too. Most regular cruising is at 13.0 or so.

I have read but dont even know where you see commanded AFR or real AFR in the program, like I said I still have a LOT to learn. Trying to read as much as I can through searches as time allows. Here is my tune thats in the car if it will allow anyone to give me some direction. Keep in mind its basically a stock f-body motor, only in 5.3 form. I am going to try and figure out how to get my AEM wideband wired into it someday, then learn how to take some useful logs. I included one log, but its probably worthless. Thats the engine idling cold

To see Commanded AFR, you have to add that to your table of logged parameters. Same for actual AFR, but you have to run your wideband into HPT in order to see that actual AFR.

To add a parameter to the table to be logged:

1. Right click on in a blank cell on the table and choose insert.
    2. Scroll to Fuel System

Choose Command AFR Hi-Res. That will get you logging your commanded AFR.