Thread: performance shift/ skip shift

Tuner in Training

performance shift/ skip shift

Is it true to use your performance shift points, you have to copy them over to the normal shift points to work. And skip shifting, how do you set it up to work. I searched skip shifting, but only found alittle info.

Advanced Tuner
    If you dont have a button to enable to the performance settings, yes.. You have to copy them to the normal settings to use them.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Tuner in Training
    So, by grounding the correct wire coming off the pcm, would be the same as having a button, correct. So then I would not need to have my normal and performance tranny tables the same. Thanks for answering.

Don't know how it works enabling perf. shift on non equipped vehicles. But for using skip shifts i can tell you that the values entered in the downshift cells are max. values necessary.
    In other words.
    4->3 downshift. If at throttle position of 81%, you enter a value of 75mph in the editor, that means your car will not downshift to 3rd unless it's at 75 or less. Keep in mind that if you hit the accelerator right at 75, by the time you reach 81% the car will have accelerated 1-2mph, putting you at 77mph and are out of range for the downshift. So as long as you are in 4th, 75mph or less at any point when you hit 81%, it will downshift.
    3->2 downshift. If the above downshift took place, assuming your foot is still at 81% throttle, your downshift will have bumped your speed up a few mph, so at the 3->2 row at 81%, you will need to have a value of 77-78, +2 or 3 mph above the original 4->3 downshift so that you are still under the desired mph marker to enable another quick subsequent shift into the next lower gear.
    For gas and tranny savings in my car, I set my skip shifts to not occur at less than 44% on a 4->3 shift. Figure if i'm going up a hill and my foot is on the gas due the extra engine load to push me over, I'll be at least at 44%. And 75% min. on my 3->2 to avoid harsh overusage burning up my clutches sooner than later.
    Be very careful changing these setups. If you enter a wrong value and you notice your cat isn't shifting, let off and go back and check your mph and WOT shift RPM limits. This is an easy way to kill your tranny if you're careless.
    Last edited by louvered97gtp; 05-12-2008 at 07:53 PM.
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers
    97GTP: Stock engine, 95 GTP Hood louvers

Advanced Tuner
    The functionality is two parts.. A grounded pin on the pcm (or a change to a ping to say the least, depending on implementation) and a settings in the pcm. The key here, there is a setting to determine what the pcm is looking for on that 1 pin (ground or other signal) to trigger the use of the Performance tables. That setting is not available in HPTuners at this time. So, simply grounding the wire/pin (depending on what the setting is set to now) may or may not work.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for the info guys

Advanced Tuner
    Some cars do not have this functionality, even if the tables are in the PCM code... some do.

97-03 GTPs can have this code. GTs cannot, I believe, even if the code is there.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *