Thread: Tricky Ways to run HPT on a laptop w/out admin rights

Tricky Ways to run HPT on a laptop w/out admin rights

I just switched jobs and don't have rights to install HPT on my laptop. I've been thinking of using a cracking tool to obtain the PW to get it installed, loading it on my home PC and copying the program files directory over (not sure if there are any sys32 files installed during the install), running a VMWare ACE CD with HPT loaded on it when I tune, etc. I would also need to get the USB drivers installed.

Anyone have any tricky dick ways to do this?

Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Advanced Tuner
    Man you crack me up! I have been having a crappy week and reading that as sad as that sounds cracked me up! I was thinking how funny it would be explaining to your boss how you put all this effort into cracking the PW for the lap top....not for social secruity number or secret company account info but for Hptuners!!! You Rock Brother!!

Man, I have full control over my work laptop. I even asked my boss if I could install HPTuners, he said "Go for it, there should be plenty of memory on that laptop"

There are programms which can overwrite the admin password. "CIA Commander" is one of them.
    But if I were you, I would go the legal way and ask my boss for admin rights.
    That could save you a lot of problems.

Mat
    '97 Jeep Grand Cherokee ZJ, 5.2L (Canada Import), 2" Lift
    (CAI, Modded Kegger, Ported TB, 3" Cat-Back, SCT Custom Tune)

'98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited ZG, 5.9 V8, Stock

'03 Skoda Fabia, 1.4L 16v

'98 Chevrolet Camaro V6, 3.8L, Targa, ZZP GT1 Cam, Dynomax Cat-Back [sold]

Tuner
    I am working on a method to run an instance of XP via the USB pen drive. That way the computer boots off the USB and then from there you have full control of the instance running on the usb pen drive. Then when you are all done shut down and remove the pen drive and you are back to normal and no one is the wiser.
    2004 GTP: 3.8L SC, XP CAM, 85MM Maf, 105# Springs, 3.3" Pulley, Autolite 103's K&N CAI, 3" Downpipe: TOG Headers, #39 Cobra Injectors, ZZP Crate motor with CNC Ported Heads, NGK AFX Wideband

What product are you using? Vmware ace or Vi? Citrix xen desktop win pe? WinPE?

GggggMsMS.mswinWinPE
    Last edited by 5_Liter_Eater; 05-20-2008 at 11:33 AM.
    Bill Winters

Tuner
    Linux versions of batch apps to clear Windows-based passwords exist. Have used 'em (on occassions) for after-hours PC support. Why not do what I did for use of company laptop. Buy a spare hard drive (and caddy, if necessary), and swap in the spare drive when you need to run logs.

Sure, that's an extra task, but it only takes a minute to swap (less than that). Drives are cheaper than years before.
    **Capt. Ron - 7th Dist. Fire**

Tuner
    I am still in the research phase but am planning on using the Microsoft BDD with Windows XPe. I am planning on creating the image with all of the software installed and using another USB drive to store the scan and tune data.
    It’s still in it’s infancy but we will see how it’s going to play out. I have played with VM Ace in the past but don’t like how it handles USB. I have had issues where the USB didn’t perform up to par.
    2004 GTP: 3.8L SC, XP CAM, 85MM Maf, 105# Springs, 3.3" Pulley, Autolite 103's K&N CAI, 3" Downpipe: TOG Headers, #39 Cobra Injectors, ZZP Crate motor with CNC Ported Heads, NGK AFX Wideband

Tuner
    Yep you can use a spare drive too. I am trying to go solid state so there is less chance of a HD crash while doing runs.

A spare drive is a good idea. My buddy actually offered up an older laptop he had lying around so crisis averted. We will be migrating to Citrix XenApp 4.5 here soon so maybe I'll stream it to the laptop, although I donno if the drivers would stream well.
    Bill Winters

Quote Originally Posted by GTPNoga
    Yep you can use a spare drive too. I am trying to go solid state so there is less chance of a HD crash while doing runs.
    Solid state would be great, but way too much $$$$ to be practical at this stage.
    2004 Impulse Blue A4 LS1 GTO

PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L Heads, PatG Custom Cam (227/232 .610/.604 111LSA), 1 7/8" Kooks LTs w/catted mids, FAST 90/PTM90, Yank 3600 Stall, Custom 4" Fenderwell CAI, BMR Drag Bags, Magnaflow Cat-Back, PBMFIsMe tune.

410/362 at the wheels
    [email protected] - Woohoo ! ! !

You could image the whole hard drive, write it to a CD or something, then reformat that thing, install windows and configure it the way you want it. Then if you need the original back, image it back- it will be like the day you made the backup, I think you'll even need to reset the windows time/clock.

I installed the whole HP Tuner suite on a USB drive. Works fine running off of it! I can take my drive and put it on the work computer and do my tune changes there, then move the stick to my laptop and run the tuner from it.

Quote Originally Posted by sandrock
    I installed the whole HP Tuner suite on a USB drive. Works fine running off of it! I can take my drive and put it on the work computer and do my tune changes there, then move the stick to my laptop and run the tuner from it.
    What about the drivers? They would need to be installed on the laptop.
    Bill Winters

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5_Liter_Eater
    I just switched jobs and don't have rights to install HPT on my laptop. I've been thinking of using a cracking tool to obtain the PW to get it installed, loading it on my home PC and copying the program files directory over (not sure if there are any sys32 files installed during the install), running a VMWare ACE CD with HPT loaded on it when I tune, etc. I would also need to get the USB drivers installed.

Anyone have any tricky dick ways to do this?

Just copy the program files folder over to the laptop, then connect the interface. The interface connection will initiate a prompt for drivers, hopefully you can direct it to the correct drivers from the CD. If you can get the drivers working, all you have to do is open the editor program and update your license. If you can not load the drivers, the whole thing is a waste of time so you might want to start with the interface part first.

BTW: You ahve to have .net installed on the PC or it's wasted effort as well.
    Last edited by BBA; 06-22-2008 at 06:13 PM.