Thread: Unlocking the TCC faster

Unlocking the TCC faster

Do you raise or lower the release speed?

im pretty sure you raise the release speed

Advanced Tuner
    The reverse. There are tables that state lockup speed and RELEASE or unlock speed. To get it to release/unlock sooner, LOWER the MPH at the throttle setting you want in the cells for the RELEASE/unlock usage.

If you look at the tables for 10 seconds, it becomes kinda obvious.

Edit: Unlocking earlier does have an adverse effect on MPG, but it does prevent the car from being placed in a position of high load-low RPM and inducing KR. It's a bit of a balancing act.

On cars with the performance shift button, this permits you to do 3 things, if properly set up:

- with perf mode off, you can push for MPG settings, and let the TCC stay locked longer. The logic being that you are going to not push the car in any way

- with a flick of the perf button to turn it on, at low TP-MPH settings, it could release sooner, removing the low RPM - high load scenario by releasing the TCC sooner at low TP settings

- with perf mode activated, you can get very aggressive at higher TP% settings to maximize performance by further delaying TCC lockup and also getting a little more aggressive with the shift times, pressures, shift points, etc...

I suppose that if you did not have this button, that you could set it up so that it is a compromise. I've grown so used to this little tool I would miss it.
    Last edited by JerryH; 05-19-2008 at 07:50 AM.
    '99 Black GTP Sedan
    3.4-2.6" PB Quick Change pulleys, Custom CAI, XP Cam, N* TB, LQ4 MAF, SLP headers, 42.5# Injectors, 180/195* thermostat.

13.501 @ 103.392 on 91 (2.4 60-foot).
    13.82 @ 105.28 on 87 octane! (2.42 60-foot).
    263kph top end as shown on the GPS.
    All this and 39MPG to boot. What more can a man ask for?
    * Just another enthusiastic amateur tuner! *

Quote Originally Posted by JerryH
    The reverse. There are tables that state lockup speed and RELEASE or unlock speed. To get it to release/unlock sooner, LOWER the MPH at the throttle setting you want in the cells for the RELEASE/unlock usage.

If you look at the tables for 10 seconds, it becomes kinda obvious.

Edit: Unlocking earlier does have an adverse effect on MPG, but it does prevent the car from being placed in a position of high load-low RPM and inducing KR. It's a bit of a balancing act.

On cars with the performance shift button, this permits you to do 3 things, if properly set up:

- with perf mode off, you can push for MPG settings, and let the TCC stay locked longer. The logic being that you are going to not push the car in any way

- with a flick of the perf button to turn it on, at low TP-MPH settings, it could release sooner, removing the low RPM - high load scenario by releasing the TCC sooner at low TP settings

- with perf mode activated, you can get very aggressive at higher TP% settings to maximize performance by further delaying TCC lockup and also getting a little more aggressive with the shift times, pressures, shift points, etc...

I suppose that if you did not have this button, that you could set it up so that it is a compromise. I've grown so used to this little tool I would miss it.
    Jerry,
    I'm assuming this can only be done with the HPT. I only have the PT for now.
    Jae
    1999 GTP
    XPZ, 1.6 RR's, 2.8-2.6 DUB, Stg 4 Gen III M90, P&P LIM, N*, LQ4, FWI, Stg 3 Heads, ZZP Stg 3 IC , 42.5lb, SLP Headers, 2.5"SLP Catback, Cutsom Tranny, 3.29's, 3500stall, ICCU, LS1M, GMPP Susp, BMR F/R Sways, Next LVL STB, F-boby Brakes

Advanced Tuner
    These tables are available in both tuners
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax