Thread: Cannot Read VIN

Tuner in Training

Cannot Read VIN

Hello all! I have a 1971 Datsun 240Z with an 01 LS1 in it, from a 2001 Firebird. I sent out the PCM to a mail order tune guy who did some stuff for me to get the car running, like remove VATS, and delete air injection, rear o2 codes ect... I just purchased a Copy of HPT and am trying to get everything going here. I got everything installed on the computer, went past the application key part, and Got everything plugged into the vehicle. when I try to connect to the vehicle, It scans for the VIN. This is where I'm having problems. It cannot find the vehicles VIN, therefor the connection fails. under where the Vin would pop up while its scanning.. It would show something that looks like this: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Or something along those lines.. What would I need to do to have the VIN be recognized? Could I purchase another PCM from a different 01 Camaro / Firebird? What do you think? Remember, I'm a complete NEWB and would appreciate any feed back to be clear and detailed. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me.

Sounds like the mail order guy deleted the VIN somehow. Get back in touch with him and have him install a valid VIN for that application. Or you can try writing a VIN with the Flash menu of the editor. It HAS to be a valid vin though.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Sounds like the mail order guy deleted the VIN somehow. Get back in touch with him and have him install a valid VIN for that application. Or you can try writing a VIN with the Flash menu of the editor. It HAS to be a valid vin though.

Does it matter which VIN it can be? If I were to go on Auto trader.com There are plenty of 2001 Fire birds that have the Vin displayed. Would I be able to just punch in one of those?

Make sure it has a similar equipment combination first. Eg. Manual or Auto, V8, V6 etc...
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    Make sure it has a similar equipment combination first. Eg. Manual or Auto, V8, V6 etc...
    So I went on autotrader and tried about 4 different VIN's. Found one that worked and I was able to connect with the vehicle. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.