Thread: Staying out of PE when tuning MAF

Tuner in Training

Staying out of PE when tuning MAF

I think I am confusing myself here.

When tuning MAF, I should stay out of PE correct? But, will I hit the highest frequencies of the MAF table if I do not go WOT?

I commanded 1.13 in PE at 75% TPS.

I am tuning with a wideband, disabled LTFT STFT, COT, DFCO, OLCL EQ ratio of 1 above 158F....

Just thinking to far into it. Thanks in advance.

when tuning with a WB, you should cover from idle to your rev limiter and everything in between. The people trying to stay out of PE are making a half ass attempt at tuning with the narrowbands. Works OK but you aren't doing a good job calibrating the whole curve correctly.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

As mentioned above the only time you want to stay out of PE is when tuning with fuel trims. When WB tuning just disable closed loop and tune everything using AFR Error.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys. that's what I thought. Should I keep the OLCL EQ ratio at 1.00 after 158 degrees after tuning too? Russ helped me in the past with my car when I was getting started and he left the ratio 1.00. IMO, that would make for a nice and smooth running car since you are commanding 14.7:1 until PE, correct???

That is only if you are in open loop though, but yea, you can leave it.
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner
    so if you are tuning using stft's is it best to disable pe until you are done with the ve and maf tables?

never disable PE, you need that fuel

Tuner
    Ok then, I see that most tuning guides say to stay out of pe. So what is the best way to make sure I don't get into pe? It seems it would be impossible to hit certain cells without going over a certain throttle % thus entering pe mode...

which is why using a wideband is preferred.

You can set the PE enable map to something like 70-80 kPa to help, but you still will not have any good numbers for WOT/PE which is where it is needed the most.

Accept that you cannot tune WOT/PE with fuel trims and leave PE engagement alone. If your fuel trim tuning set a plot filter to filter out any PE data from your histograms. I dont have the software in front of me but set the plot filter to only show data when commanded AFR >14.6. Then you don't have to worry about entering PE when fuel trim tuning.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Quote Originally Posted by redgto4u
    Ok then, I see that most tuning guides say to stay out of pe. So what is the best way to make sure I don't get into pe? It seems it would be impossible to hit certain cells without going over a certain throttle % thus entering pe mode...

the guides say that because NBs and trims are completely useless for WOT.

HPT should push a bundled wideband with the suite...
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com

I think that EC_Tune has posted some of this configs in the sticky that already have the filters for discarding the PE results from your scan if you don't want to go through the trouble of putting the string in yourself.

in the end, it is still a half ass way to do it. If you want to do it right then tune it all with a WB

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    in the end, it is still a half ass way to do it. If you want to do it right then tune it all with a WB
    Better than not doing it all, I suppose.

...however, not doing it and doing it half-assed will get you about the same results!

I agree. From my personal experience, when I was going my driveability with STFT, I had far more work to do smoothing the VE table. I started over with a WB and doing AFR % Error the VE table moved into line more quickly and with less smoothing required. Perhaps I just got lucky, but it seemed to go far more quickly with the WB.

but the most critical parts (WOT) are still not done, but I still get your point