Thread: A4 tranny questions could use some help

Tuner in Training

A4 tranny questions could use some help

I have a 2001 Tahoe 5.3L A4 4X4. I just purchased a transgo HD2 kit. Was wondering should I go with the street or strip settings. Truck is fairly stock but I plan on putting on a whipple supercharger with a stall converter (yank probably). Another question is do I have the plastic accumulator pistons (1-2, 3-4). My ATSG rebuild manual says that only 98-99 have the plastic but never says that they went back to aluminum. When I look on the internet sites, they read aluminum pistons for 98 and newer 4l60E's. Any help would be appreciated. This is one of the first times I'm posting here, but I do alot of reading both here and on LS1Tech.
    Thanks
    Mike
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB 6.6L Duramax LBZ
    HPTuners, Transgo Jr., RDS EGR Delete Tube EGR and cooler removed with blocker plate at up pipe, PCV Reroute Kit
    Isspro A-pillar Boost and Pyro Gauges

2001 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L
    HPTuners, Transgo Shift Kit, Innovate Motorsports LC-1 Wideband

2001 Oldsmobile Alero 3.4L
    HPTuners

Tuner in Training

Re: A4 tranny questions could use some help

Anyone have any ideas, educated guess maybe
    HPTuners, Transgo Jr., RDS EGR Delete Tube EGR and cooler removed with blocker plate at up pipe, PCV Reroute Kit

2001 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L

HPTuners

Tuner

That kit seemed pretty mild in my '02 Camaro SS so I took it out to make a few mods not listed in the instructions.
    Right now it's set up beyond the strip settings according to the instructions, but it still shifts smooth at low throttle and hard at high throttle the way I wanted it.
    As for the plastic pistons, my camaro had one in the 1-2 accumulator, I replaced the whole housing and piston with one out of a 700R4. The old ones have a shorter stroke.
    You can't use just the piston out of the 700 because the pin size is different.

Tuner in Training

Thanks for the response the info helps. I'm trying to get together what parts I will (or may) need so that when I pull the pan down I will have everything to make the truck work the way I want without having to drop the pan again (hopefully).
    Thanks again

2001 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L

HPTuners

Potential Tuner

a quick 4l60e trans mod step-1 but the 3 pinless accumilator pistons from sonnax-1in the v/body,1-in the case,1-in the-acc body, and install them into your trans at the same time buy the ,superior-1-2 super servo,plus the sonnax 3-4 servo,all these combind with no outher mods to your trans,after your pcm has re-learnt some full-throttle up shifts,firstly by leaving in the drive possition then by doing full-throttle up shifts, manual up shifts, then by manualy down shifting as you come to a stop,basicly giving the car a bit of a floging,about a 100 miles later you wont think it was the same shi*,auto all shifts should be re-learnt by the pcm now,i did this in our own car,as there is now shift kit for the late 4l60es-4l65es, ,try it worked well for me-reg dave