Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CAse learn will not complete

CAse learn will not complete

LS6 Pontiac - Case learn either just reset to begin as soon as rpms get to about 2500-3000 or it says rpms too high and resets. Get get it to complete. Car is in neutral and I am holding brake pedal on.

Any help woudl be appreciated.

Advanced Tuner
    Follow these directions and it will work.

Potential Tuner
    Hmmmm - do you need to depress the brake BEFORE you start the motor? I think that is the problem I have....I kept pushing it AFTER I started the motor.

Ed
    www.blacksheep4x4.com

LQ4-4L60E-4.3:1 Tcase-5.83:1 Axles-42" tires

dont feel bad, i cant get the case learn to work either. might try again tomorrow.

Brake pedal eh? thats kinda retarded. It's like the secret moose lodge handshake to allow you to be initiated. So after tons of searching and people not being able to successfully complete a case learn... it all comes down to the brake pedal and it's specific time of use?
    Oh well... I guess the process just mimics our government. possibilities there just well hidden. LMAO. I'll have to try this myself tomorrow.
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers
    97GTP: Stock engine, 95 GTP Hood louvers

Senior Tuner
    Before you start the engine, AND before it's in the on position. I finally got it to work last year myself.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

so uh, does the pcm need to have some sort of input from the brake pedal to actually perform this case learn? Because the pcm in my car (rx7) will NOT do a case learn and pcm doesnt know the brake pedal exists.

also, does the rev limiter in the pcm have to be set to 4000 or does the pcm automatically set one there for the case learn?

CASE learn has it's own rev limiter. And Yes you do need a brake pedal input to the PCM for it to work.
    Always Support Our Troops!

I assume its pin 33 on the blue connector: TCC Brake Switch Signal

Now the real question, is it ground or 12V on that pin when the brake is applied?

Ive figured out that the brake pedal switch is a Normally closed switch. So currently it should be showing that the brake pedal is depressed because the circuit is open.

Well, I got it to work without the brake pedal input. It took me about a dozen tries. Every time it would say RPM too high then reset and tell me to press begin. Finally, I got the revving the engine just right, you have to let off the throttle immediately when it hits the rev limiter. It didn't say anything, just reverted back the the 'begin' button. I tried it with the brake on and it did the same thing when it worked(took me 2 times the last time).

Quote Originally Posted by fjb2069
    LS6 Pontiac - Case learn either just reset to begin as soon as rpms get to about 2500-3000 or it says rpms too high and resets. Get get it to complete. Car is in neutral and I am holding brake pedal on.

Any help woudl be appreciated.
    If it resets at the lower RPM, it's because you're taking too long to rev the engine. If it's reving all the way to ~4000 and hits the rev limiter, you've got to release the throttle very quickly. If it even tries to bounce once on the limiter, it won't work.

Harry, thank's for taking the time to explain HP tuner's functions for them. Awesome software in every sense of the word, but some of this stuff isn't explained very well.
    99GTP: Flowmasters, ZZP Power log & Ported rear, 9.5:1, Bored over .010, removed balance shaft, Dbl roller chain, Intense S1X, custom ported heads, 45#inj., 105lb springs, 1.7 rockers, A103's, 180-stat, Gen V swap, 97 Cadillac TB & Custom machined alum. spacer, 95 GTP Hood louvers
    97GTP: Stock engine, 95 GTP Hood louvers

Harry, thank's for taking the time to explain HP tuner's functions for them. Awesome software in every sense of the word, but some of this stuff isn't explained very well.
    It's not a function of the HPT software. It's SOP for all GM CKP relearns. Did you by chance research the GM docs first? It's not quite fair to blame HPT because you chose not to do the same research that many of us spend hours doing.

If you spent as much time researching as you say, why not pass the knowledge on to the rest of us? There's no sense reinventing the wheel.
    1997 Regal GS. SLP headers, CAI, cat back. S1X cam, 1.6 RR's, 3.5" pulley, ported S/C, LS1 valve springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Stone
    If you spent as much time researching as you say, why not pass the knowledge on to the rest of us? There's no sense reinventing the wheel.
    First hit on a Google search for "case relearn":

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...t-relearn.html

I'll admit, that one didn't take hours Still, there's something to be said for spending time researching this stuff.

Do note that if you didn't apply the brakes/parking brake during the relearn, it's likely the relearn didn't occur. That comes from experience, not research. Take it for what it's worth.

I'll take it...with that said, does the HPtuner give any indication that the case learn was completed properly? I tried it both ways and got the same result. Hit the rev limiter, let off immediately, then HPtuner just went back to original, didn't say anything. Oh, and I have done internet research about case learns. It's a bit different doing it in real life than reading about it.
    Last edited by Harry Stone; 07-16-2008 at 02:56 PM.
    1997 Regal GS. SLP headers, CAI, cat back. S1X cam, 1.6 RR's, 3.5" pulley, ported S/C, LS1 valve springs.

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    CASE learn has it's own rev limiter. And Yes you do need a brake pedal input to the PCM for it to work.
    Doug,

Does this apply to manual trans as well?

Howard
    Full Service GM Late Model Performance Facility

www.redline-motorsports.net
    Follow US on FACEBOOK!
    Follow us on Instagram! redline_motorsports

Yes. Brake pedal is needed for both.
    With the Tech 2 they tell you to apply the park brake, then the vehicle brakes, start the engine then press the "START" button on the Tech2 to do the case learn. If you release the vehicle brakes during the test it will fail. However the Tech2 does tell you if it completes.

I haven't had any problems with a Tech2 CASE learn except following directions to the letter. It's easy to let off the brakes...
    Always Support Our Troops!