Thread: Getting a Little Heated

Getting a Little Heated

I know this is a tuning forum, but just thought I would post the question here because someone has probaly run into this before.

I installed a Kenny Belle blower on my 99 last fall and now the summer is here in Alabama. The stock cooling system does not want to keep up.

I replaced the existing radiator with a 2 row Griffin and it did a little better.

If I am running down the interstate at 70, the temp is fine, it runs about 187 to 190. But in slow traffic it creeps up to 210 or so.

The Kenny Bell intercooler in mounted in the existing radiator inlet under the nose of the car. I do not think the exising fans have enough pull to get enough air through the intercooler, AC coil, and radiator.

What have other done to increase cooling?

Heated in Alabama
    1999 Corvette
    Stroked LS2 402ci, Trickflo 225 Heads, Wiseco blower pistons, Callies H-Beam Rods TPI Headers, Random Cats, Borla exhaust, Kenny Bell supercharger with 10psi boost

Level 10 L460E tranmission, 315 rear gears, Bear brakes and Calipers

I have never had to deal with that, wish I could help. My EWP keeps my car too cool

Do you still have the stock WP? What are your fan settings?
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Senior Tuner
    Fan settings are a good start, but what temp is your t-stat rated for? Sounds like you need a 160* thermostat w/ some fan tuning.
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Also watch your IAT's when your low speed cruising. They can get very hot!
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner in Training
    What type of car? I know if it's a vette those are good temps as the vette's run hot, up to 230 which is normal in traffic unless you've done the 160 thermostat and fan settings. Even then I think 210 is ok unless the blower has issues at that temp.

Thanks for all the questions. Here goes

99 vette with stroked LS2 out to 402 CI. Kenny Bell blower with 7.5# boost right now. (Want to get to 10)

Electric water pump with 180 stat. (I know I need to order a 160, I thought it was comming with one)

Fans set at 180 and 190.

IAT is high (See previous post) Supposedly, this kind of setup with a Kenny Bell is normal for IAT's to be above 150.

Hope this helps
    1999 Corvette
    Stroked LS2 402ci, Trickflo 225 Heads, Wiseco blower pistons, Callies H-Beam Rods TPI Headers, Random Cats, Borla exhaust, Kenny Bell supercharger with 10psi boost

Yeah the KB's have really high IATs at low speed since the blower is a screw type that compresses within the blower case itself. Nothing you can do about that aspect unfortunately. Their efficiency comes at WOT though as IAT's drop.

As to the cooling system it's also not too unusual for the coolant temp to increase while running around town at low speeds. Especially after extended idling periods. The I/C is probably causing *some* of the cooling issues but it doesn't look too extreme in your case. The only cure for the I/C placement is to front mount it but that may not be easily done in your case. IIRC it's a water/air I/C setup.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    i'll jump on this one. I have a 2.8L kenne bell on my truck. 90* ambient, cruise speed, both fans on, my IAT read 190ish. Gave it some throttle, maybe 5lbs boost, nothing crazy, IAT went to 260*. KB offered no suggestions only to tell me I'm probalby gonna blow up the blower. That's nice, thanks for the input. lol

I just today got a larger intercooler reservoir from Trick Performance. It probably won't help but it won't hurt and it looks cool. I am also looking into a way to remount the heat exchanger to the spot where the front skid plate belongs and adding dual fans to it. Aside from that, add methanol i guess? can't exactly spray methanol at cruise speeds though.
    02 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L LME 408 w/ET245, Kenne Bell 2.8L, Yank SC3000

After watching what happens at different speeds and different engine temps, it seemed to do fine with additional air pressure on the front end. So I drilled a couple of 1.5" holes in black plastic pieces next to the driving lights in the front grill. I also drilled the same 4 holes in the airbox schroud below the air intake. The shroud forms the tunnel for the radiator air flow. I drilled the holes between the new intercooler and A/C coil. (I knew the intercooler had to be restricting airflow.

Today, air temp 95* and in stop and go traffic the temp went to 205. (Without AC). I feel alittle better now. Thats alot better than the 225 it was running under the same conditions.

Today, I ordered (2) 11" Spal fans. I will install them this week end and add additional holes.

If this works, I think I will order a couple of small Spal fans and mount them directly on the intercooler with their own temp control.

Will keep you posted.
    1999 Corvette

Tuner
    post up a pic of what you did. I wanna see.
    02 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L LME 408 w/ET245, Kenne Bell 2.8L, Yank SC3000