Thread: diesel basics

Advanced Tuner

diesel basics

i am having a hard time learning this stuff. its completely contrary to what im use to tuning. dialing in driveability/mileage stuff on a 05 lly. there are no VE tables that i can tell, but i do see a MAF calibration. im assuming that you calibrate the MAF based off of fuel trims. but this seems too simple. someone point me in the right direction.

This an old thread but it seems like diesel tuning on the HPT is not very popular, I am just lurking over here to see if I should buy a HPT or aEFI live and from the looks of it there is no support over here for diesels... I would like to learn some things before I just go and buy it...
    2002 Pontaic Sunfire 4 Door 2.2 Ecotec
    15.9 best 1/4 @ 87mph (I/H/E)

2005 Silverado 2500HD 2WD LLY, Amsoil in the motor, 4" MBRP DP back, 4-6" tip, EGR Blocker plate, small HP Tune, boost and pyro gauge. PPE shim kit.

14.8 best 1/4 @ 91 MPH
    @ aprox 68*

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Diesels are far different from gasser engines, and the pcm's they use are far different code wise, you won't find VE tables, etc and most of the fueling is based off of the maf & the injector base tables, then you have airflow tables to which you can adjust boost, there are some 400-1000 adjustable tables in diesels but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

So how would I even start to learn to adjust these tables... I want to learn but I have no idea where to start..

2005 Silverado 2500HD 2WD LLY, Amsoil in the motor, 4" MBRP DP back, 4-6" tip, EGR Blocker plate, small HP Tune, boost and pyro gauge. PPE shim kit.

14.8 best 1/4 @ 91 MPH
    @ aprox 68*

Looking at modified tunes and comparing them to your stock tunes will give you an idea of what to change and how much. Some things you dont want to mess with are torque tables and transmission tables other than WOT shift rpm. The biggest thing is change small things and then drive it to see how it runs. Diesels dont have much support but they are more forgiving than gas engines. If you have any tuning specific questions feel free to send me a PM.
    03 2500hd HPT, PPE, MBRP, K&N, SD
    www.DuramaxDiesels.com

Thank you for the reply... I have been reading a lot on DieselPlace.com on how to: type things I seen Bills post over there which it really good... If I come up with any questions I will pm you... Thanks Again

14.8 best 1/4 @ 91 MPH
    @ aprox 68*

Potential Tuner
    that was the same case with me on my machine. i tuned it to some figures and the power was extremely superb then a friend helped a lot in that