Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: max torque timing table

Advanced Tuner

max torque timing table

just noticed this table...What is the max torque timing table? and what does it do...read the defination in hpt but didnt make sense to me
    2004 GTO LS1~HP Tuners~AFX W/B~PRC 227 heads~.644/.598-231/234-111(TQV3)~Kooks 1 7/8 headers~Stock injectors~Fast 102 LSXR Intake~Fast 102 TB~CAI cold air intake~Yella Terra Roller Rockers~Fast Fuel Rails~

Dyno's are for sissy's, See you on the street.

Advanced Tuner
    Good question. I think it's a table that the VCM uses to calculate torque values but I'm not 100% sure.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Perforator
    Good question. I think it's a table that the VCM uses to calculate torque values but I'm not 100% sure.
    Correct.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    and changing this table would result in? break it down for me a little more
    Last edited by TDCRacing; 06-11-2008 at 09:12 AM.
    2004 GTO LS1~HP Tuners~AFX W/B~PRC 227 heads~.644/.598-231/234-111(TQV3)~Kooks 1 7/8 headers~Stock injectors~Fast 102 LSXR Intake~Fast 102 TB~CAI cold air intake~Yella Terra Roller Rockers~Fast Fuel Rails~

Advanced Tuner
    You would alter the VCM's ability to correctly calculate torque. It could either under estimate it or over estimate it based on the modification.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Tuner in Training
    so this table should never be changed?
    Mike (MOJO)

2003 GTP, L36 swap, TOGs extremes, ZZP stage 3 heads, SSIC, ZZP Ported Blower, 3.0/3.2 pulley, XP hot cam w/ 105#, 42.5# injectors, N* w/ 85mm MAF, Meziere Water Pump.
    Need more info, follow link below

Mod List
    http://www.jscgp.com/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=5

http://www.jscgp.com

Advanced Tuner
    would there ever be any benefit in changing this table? power wise?

Tuner in Training
    i don't know, i was always told that if you change the good spark table you change the mean best table
    Mike (MOJO)

2003 GTP, L36 swap, TOGs extremes, ZZP stage 3 heads, SSIC, ZZP Ported Blower, 3.0/3.2 pulley, XP hot cam w/ 105#, 42.5# injectors, N* w/ 85mm MAF, Meziere Water Pump.
    Need more info, follow link below

Mod List
    http://www.jscgp.com/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=5

http://www.jscgp.com

Tuner in Training
    Lets resurrect this.. Eddies table modifier has an adjustment for this MBTT Table- why if we are not supposed to change it??? Discussion please???

Bumping the thread, for some more insight.
    2010 Camaro SS LS3
    SOLO highflow cats|VMax ported TB|Vararam

Advanced Tuner
    I would think this table should be changed by the same amount as the high octane spark table. If this table allows the PCM to calculate torque, and the high octane spark table is changed thereby increasing torque, the PCM would not be able to calculate the correct torque if this table remains unchanged.

I understand the PCM is estimating torque and has no real way to calculate the actucl torque, but how much difference will it make if the tables is or is not modified? This I do not know, but I would guess it would be best to change the two tables (high octane and max torque timing) the by same amount.
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    The way I see it the mean best torque table is a reference. You can move the gfs table up and down but the torque table should be left alone, otherwise you're moving the reference... my .02.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Tuner in Training
    I think that what this table is referring to may actually be Maximum Brake Torque. According to the "Engine Management Advanced Tuning" book by Greg Banish, this is "the spark advance value for a specific speed-load condition that results in the most engine torque output." The goal is to run as close to this value as possible without engine damage. If this is what this table represents then changing this table based upon the changes made to the good spark table would not make sense, would it?
    '02 Impala L36 SC (ZZP SSM90 w/3.6" Pulley) WizAired CAI, N* Throttle Body, ZZP Yella Terra 1.95 Roller Rockers, Comp Cams 105# springs, Lucas 38# Flowmatched injectors, Milzy Motorsports Stage 2 heads milled .020, Ported LIM, SLP Headers, SLP cat, GMPP cat back, Thrasher Shift Kit

Advanced Tuner
    Here is a hurdle for those of you thinking it should be changed with a change to High Octane Spark...

Take a 03 GP GTP file and and 05 GP GTP.. Same exact Max Torque Timing Table for stock values... Yet, different High Octane Table.

A question that always hits me when this topic/table comes up, "Why my 97 doesnt even have the table?" (not just not mapped, it isnt there in general)

The description dchale just described makes the most sense to me though.. Not a limiter or a method of calculating torque (it is an advance table after all and is stored in the bin file right next to High Octane and Low Octane Spark), but a target for the PCM to try and hit to achieve as much torque as possible when it is desired (by the PCM knowing the need for torque is there).
    Last edited by bilemke; 01-08-2009 at 01:28 AM.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

I changed mine back to stock. It's a bit early to say for sure, but my shifting seems to follow along with changes made to trans tables better and for some reason my MPG appears to have jumped by 3. Cold startup seems smoother as well. I do know one of the best mpg tunes my car had had this table stock. Perhaps after time this will all be just me wanting an improvement. The 3 mpg could be a fluke, and the rest my imagination.

Hopfully the discussion will continue.
    2010 Camaro SS LS3

Tuner in Training
    From looking at the binary memory addresses, it appears the torque management section is the only part of the PCM that references this. It basically means this is the base timing table that the pcm uses when it goes into torque reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by darkhorizon View Post
    From looking at the binary memory addresses, it appears the torque management section is the only part of the PCM that references this. It basically means this is the base timing table that the pcm uses when it goes into torque reduction.
    Very interesting, and as such, wouldn't seem to have much affect especially for those with a lot of disabled TM.
    Last edited by IndeedSS; 01-11-2009 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
    2010 Camaro SS LS3

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by darkhorizon View Post
    From looking at the binary memory addresses, it appears the torque management section is the only part of the PCM that references this.
    And how did you figure this out praytell?
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Advanced Tuner
    It basically means this is the base timing table that the pcm uses when it goes into torque reduction.
    Do you mean it uses this as a base before applying torque reduction? The reason I say this is because for the most part, isn't this table higher then the high octane spark table? If so, by using this table you would be increasing timing rather then lowering it.
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

Comparing my stock max tq table to the stock high octane spark, some cells are higher and some lower.
    2010 Camaro SS LS3