Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IMRC plates

Smile IMRC plates

I would like to know if it is possible to have the plates open at all times, or open earlier. Also would there be any benifit for a N/A mustang with just a CAI.

Thanks.

I honestly don't think there's any benefit to deleting them on a N/A car.

I have played with the opening of them and have gained 10 ft lbs of torque by leaving them closed longer....but....I am at 7600 ft of elevation and air velocity up here sucks. So I expect this to NOT be the case for lower elevations and you won't be gaining any power by leaving them closed longer.

I also experimented with opening them sooner, and leaving them open all the time and this is a bad idea as well, it's kills off lower end torque by a good bit.

I have tuned a stock n/a car with a cai and the plates delete kit, and the results were not worth the efforts although it did gain just a smidge power on top end over a stock car with the delete plates installed, the bottom end of the power curve ended up with this funky dip in it that I couldn't get rid off.

Ford got it pretty good from the factory.

ben
    Last edited by Fox95; 06-17-2008 at 12:03 PM.
    Roadracing Crew Chief - World Superbike, British Superbike, Moto America.

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah, those plates are intended to manipluate Air velocity and increase propogation (Is that even the right word?)

Quote Originally Posted by Fox95 View Post
    I honestly don't think there's any benefit to deleting them on a N/A car.

I have played with the opening of them and have gained 10 ft lbs of torque by leaving them closed longer....but....I am at 7600 ft of elevation and air velocity up here sucks. So I expect this to NOT be the case for lower elevations and you won't be gaining any power by leaving them closed longer.

I also experimented with opening them sooner, and leaving them open all the time and this is a bad idea as well, it's kills off lower end torque by a good bit.

I have tuned a stock n/a car with a cai and the plates delete kit, and the results were not worth the efforts although it did gain just a smidge power on top end over a stock car with the delete plates installed, the bottom end of the power curve ended up with this funky dip in it that I couldn't get rid off.

Ford got it pretty good from the factory.

ben
    so what the main changed in the tuning well removed the plats ? i try in one car it seem like same in the tuning !!
    Saoud bin ajail
    Dubai p.o.box :24687
    United Arab Emirates
    Moblie:+971507744161
    WhatsApp:+971509345593
    [email protected]

I wouldn't do the plate deletes on a NA car. you may gain a few hp in the upper region, but it does funky stuff on the bottom of the curve. Granted this may be able to be tuned out, but why didn't the factory do it that way and spend all that extra money on the imrc's.

If you do, there are several things you need to do, like disable them, and adjust the timing tables for the lack of them.

To disable them, you need to shut the switch off, and add in the Borderline and MBT spark adder amounts into the borderline and MBT tables.

You should also copy the Slope of MAP IMRC open to the Slope of Map IMRC closed table. (since when they are shut off, everything refers to them closed).
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

thanks for the info

Senior Tuner
    FYI, deleting them can/give you more power above the normal CMCV (Charge Motion Control Valves) opening, especially in the higher rpm range, as they do pose a slight restriction, but you will lose some low end power below approx. 2k (nothing really major, and a gear change in the future would keep you from even noticing). There isn't anything "funky" it does to the car, provided you make the proper adjustments in the tune. Also, anytime you add in a PDB (Positive Displacement Blower), they are automatically deleted in those kits anyway.

Eric gave you all the info you needed, but to break it down:

When deleting the CMCVs on the S197 3V Mustangs, and using HP Tuners, please follow these instructions below (yes, a bit of work, but not so bad):

1: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, change "IMRC Switch" to "Disabled".
    2: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "Angle (IMRC Open) Torque" table to the "Angle (IMRC Closed) Torque" table.
    3: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "Angle (IMRC Open) Load" table to "Angle (IMRC Closed) Load" table
    4: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "Load with failed MAF (IMRC Open)" table to the "Load with failed MAF" table.
    5: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "MAP at Zero Airmass (Open)" table to the "MAP at Zero Airmass (Closed)" table.
    6: Under Engine, Airflow, General Airflow, copy the "MAP per Airmass (Open)" table to the "MAP per Airmass (Close)" table.
    7: Under Engine, Spark Control, Spark Advance, copy the "Base (IMRC Open)" table to the "Base (IMRC Closed)" table.
    8: Under Engine, Spark Control, Spark Advance, copy the "Base MBT (IMRC Open)" table to the "Base MBT (IMRC Closed)" table.
    9: Under Engine, Spark Control, Spark Advance, add (+) the "Base MBT" table under IMRC Spark to the "MBT Spark" table under Main Spark. To do this, copy this entire table by clicking on the top left cell, right click copy, then do a "Paste Special, Add" into the correct table. Once done, zero out the "Base MBT" table.
    10: Under Engine, Spark Control, Spark Advance, add (+) the "Base" table under IMRC Spark to the "Borderline Knock" table under Main Spark. To do this, copy this entire table by clicking on the top left cell, right click copy, then do a "Paste Special, Add" into the correct table. Once done, zero out the "Base" table.

Edit: FYI, I just found a problem with the software. It doesn't allow negative values on the tables listed for #7 and #8 above. However, I don't think any of the negative values are different between the two tables, just the positives ones only (just glancing at them, tho). Regardless, I'll send in a bug report to support.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by RWTD; 11-03-2008 at 11:57 PM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Advanced Tuner
    RWTD your tips are ok ,Im programing a 06 mustang in tampico bay mexico with all the mods you recomend the plates didnt fell any more and we gain some hp in the upper range i only have one trouble when i steped out the gas the engine shut off and dondt listen to yhe pedal any more i have to get the switch to off position to started over and works again very fine until you let the pedal off again i only have FRPP headers 3.73 gears with 20's in the back and steeda IMRC delete plates

Quote Originally Posted by dlc_racing View Post
    RWTD your tips are ok ,Im programing a 06 mustang in tampico bay mexico with all the mods you recomend the plates didnt fell any more and we gain some hp in the upper range i only have one trouble when i steped out the gas the engine shut off and dondt listen to yhe pedal any more i have to get the switch to off position to started over and works again very fine until you let the pedal off again i only have FRPP headers 3.73 gears with 20's in the back and steeda IMRC delete plates
    Is the wrench light coming on the dash?
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

Senior Tuner
    I'm with Eric, I think you have a wrench light coming on due to an ETC error. Please post the current file you're using here, as well as the factory backup file.

Thanks!
    Formerly known as RWTD

im at 7600 ft of elevation..... I mentioned that right? the air moves alot different up here, so killing off port velocity has ill "funky" effects.

I also just sat in a two day class with greg banish, and he concurred, as well as some other tuners in the class that the delete plates gave marginal gains at best, and not worth the hassle.

How much power did you gain with them? I think I got an extra 5-7 hp. imo, 5-7 hp is imperceptable on a 300hp car. but when you start coupling these gains with other mods like exhaust, cai, gears, etc.., then the stack up effect is there, and your gains are noticed.

But I was making my point based soley upon only doing the delete plates only, and if that's the only mod the customer was doing then don't bother with it and paying for a $700 custom tune.

Advanced Tuner
    i thank u for been so interesting about this topic but u have to now somethings about my living zone ,im 600km away for the nearest dyno and 250km for the nearest quartermile track so we only have back roads to test the cars and only Gtech for datalogin and ETs so i cannot tell u how much HP we gain with the deleted plates but the Gtech give me
    2thens gain in the 1/4 mile pass but the instant u let the gas pedal off the engine dies im uploading the 2 tunes tomorow the stock and the delete so u can make an idea of the bug that is killing ME I can't sleep anymore since i have to get the IMRCs stock back again.

Advanced Tuner
    O and yes the wrench light is in the dash when the engine shut down

Senior Tuner
    Yeah, there's definitely an ETC issue at play here. Are you getting any DTCs whatsoever? If so, please list those here.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Advanced Tuner
    we don't chek those cause that was on saturday and in the sunday night we go to ilegal street racing so we need the car running well so we get the plates offand we go back on tuning

Senior Tuner
    I suggest posting your current tune up here, as well as the factory tune, please.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Quote Originally Posted by dlc_racing View Post
    O and yes the wrench light is in the dash when the engine shut down
    the wrench light come & you must display it
    Saoud bin ajail
    United Arab Emirates
    [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Fox95 View Post
    If you do, there are several things you need to do, like disable them, and adjust the timing tables for the lack of them.

same what you send i make ,just i make more addctiol things same us same .our applcation is 3v turbo-t76,lagre cam ,ported head ,low cc pistons.
    Saoud bin ajail
    United Arab Emirates
    [email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bin_ajail View Post
    same what you send i make ,just i make more addctiol things same us same .our applcation is 3v turbo-t76,lagre cam ,ported head ,low cc pistons.
    I posted the instructions on how to properly tune for the IMRC deletes in the calibration in post #8 above, and also in this thread:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20810

As for the wrench light, that is usually because the ETC system is not calibrated properly in the tune for the specific modifications you have done.
    Formerly known as RWTD