Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quick question about cruising speed timing for L67

Advanced Tuner
    I remember a conversation about copying th 04+ GP GTP high octane table to the 97-03 bins a long time ago in the PowrTuner forum a while back. I copy or have copied already a lot of information from the 05 GTP to my 97 bin. This table was one of the first I noticed when comparing tables from stock binary files.

A big thing that some people leave out, are you copying the other spark advance tables as well? (if just cheating and copying the table over)... EGR Spark Advance tables are different in the later years as well and can add quite a bit of timing advance as well.

For me, down in those low cyl mass areas of the table, knock has never been a issue/concern running premium (91+ octane) gas. Walking a guy through tuning a bit, I have given him starting files or just plain modified files by myself that include tse basic copy/pasting of the high octane table.. Maybe it is a placebo effect, but he has commented about a change in lower throttle position response/power. Plus, does not see any knock in those cells either.

I have copied the EGR spark and every timing advance modifier I have found from one to the other. A safety note for those of you who might be concerned, there is a Max Spark Advance limit value (set to 50*) in our bins, that the PCM will not go beyond (unless you were to change it). I have had advance to 50* (not due to a single table, but combination of main and modifier tables to get a net result of 50*). That said, no KR even then, but it really didnt feel like it gained anything with that much either. Turns out, I am running a stock 05 GTP high octane table with only a few additions to the table in rather high cyl mass ranges and have been quite happy with it. (Been using the 05 advance, or more as described above, for more then 2 years and averaging about 400+ miles a week)

One big mod that will probably have an effect on how such a large timing change as this would effect an individuals car, have you disabled the EGR? If you look at the 04+ series III high octane table, you should see the EGR spark tables.. In certain RPM/cyl-mas combinations, it can add another 10+* of advance. For 97-03 (and I guess the odd 04 series II guys), the 04+ series III tables should be alright as far as safety... Do they gain anything (or worse, result in a loss)? Well, that is for you guys to find out with your unique mechanical/physical and other tuning mods.. I would dare not say it is a given MPG increase for everyone.. Just might be if you have everything else just right for the extra advance.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

^^^ good info for sure.

I just opened a 04 series III but do not see the EGR spark tables your are referring to. Are you sure you are not thinking about the PT?

2010 Camaro SS LS3
    SOLO highflow cats|VMax ported TB|Vararam

Advanced Tuner
    yes good info Bilemke

I have run into that 50* wall in all the cells i cruise in on my commute (1100mi week 70-75mph)

still running an egr here

the feeling of more power is in the area i cruise at and is with the slightest possible extra amount of pressure on the accelerator I feel the car smoothly pull with the slightest of pressure on the pedal when going up a slight grade on the highway , its not night and day just a feeling of being effortless
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IndeedSS View Post
    ^^^ good info for sure.

I just opened a 04 series III but do not see the EGR spark tables your are referring to. Are you sure you are not thinking about the PT?

It's not mapped in either.
    2005 Grand Prix GTP
    My CarDomain Page

Advanced Tuner
    For those wondering, here is what the EGR Spark modifier table looks like for a 1998 GTP Series II and a 2005 GTP Series III engine...
    Last edited by Eddie-98GTP; 01-13-2009 at 08:20 PM.
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters
    1/4 PB - 13.025 @ 106.81 MPH w/ 2.069 60'
    2021 Chevrolet Colorado 2.8 Baby Duramax

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie-98GTP View Post
    For those wondering, here is what the EGR Spark modifier table looks like for a 1998 GTP Series II and a 2005 GTP Series III engine...

where/how did you get to that ?

I dont recognize it and went in my tunes and dont see it anywhere and my view is set to advanced ??
    PB's 1/4 mi 12.21 117.75 trap ,1/8 mi. 7.779 93.99trap , 1.949 short time (FWD W body)

Advanced Tuner
    It's not available in HPTuner or PowrTuner. I just posted that because Bill was talking about the added timing. I thought it would help.
    -Eddie

1998 GTP - 3.4 [3.2] [3.0] MPS - custom CAI - F.1 Ram Air hood - XP Cam - Ported Heads - 1.84/1.60 Si valves - 1.6 HS Roller Rockers - 72mm Ported TB - LQ4 MAF - 42.5# Lucas Injectors - Pacesetters

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie-98GTP View Post
    It's not available in HPTuner or PowrTuner. I just posted that because Bill was talking about the added timing. I thought it would help.
    Sometimes you tick me off. "Here it is but it's not available".
    2010 Camaro SS LS3

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IndeedSS View Post
    Sometimes you tick me off. "Here it is but it's not available".
    LOL Yeah, but between the two of us, at lest you guys get an idea of what you are missing right now and what you should be requesting from HPTuners..
    Last edited by bilemke; 01-14-2009 at 11:49 AM.
    97 Grand Prix GTP (not going to bother listing mods in detail) 1 messed up 97 PCM with about 30-50% of a 2003 calibration and parts of a few others.

Tuner in Training
    Why not post a list of the tables?
    Mike (MOJO)

2003 GTP, L36 swap, TOGs extremes, ZZP stage 3 heads, SSIC, ZZP Ported Blower, 3.0/3.2 pulley, XP hot cam w/ 105#, 42.5# injectors, N* w/ 85mm MAF, Meziere Water Pump.
    Need more info, follow link below

Mod List
    http://www.jscgp.com/garage.php?mode=view_vehicle&CID=5

http://www.jscgp.com

Advanced Tuner
    Here is what I have mapped for my car (98 GTP). All of the tables I have information on are not in the list, but the great majority of them are.

Several of us have been adding support for our cars (and out friends) for the past few years. Unfortunataly this is not something I can give out due to my NDA with DHP. Although this was done before that was signed, I still don't want to take a chance of stirring up sh!t with anyone.

OK, last off topic post for me in this thread

http://theblattners.com/gtp/98GTP_Table_List.txt
    -Eddie

As far as HPTuners addding any additional tables for the V6 guys, it's not gonna happen. Too many OSID's and not enough customer base. We've requested things, they've mentioned things were coming, but there hasn't been anything new for a while. iirc the last thing added was the AFR spark correction table. I'm not complaining mind you..actually yes I am.

back on topic: I may have gained 1 or 2 mpg, bumping the cruise range to 40*. It's really hard to tell though with the temps bouncing around so much. I'm still not feeling any difference in throttle response, even though I want to.
    2010 Camaro SS LS3